Chaco Tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Here are some lovely chaco tortoise photos I took a while back. I enjoy them so hope you guys do too.
torts039.jpg

torts038.jpg

GeocheloneChilensis-Copy.jpg

torts036.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I rarely see or hear anything about this species, but I really like it. I hope to work with a group someday.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I am also very interested in this species! Great pictures!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
They are fantastic tom. Probably one of my favorites definitely. If you every find any for sale I recommend to buy them at whatever price they are a wonderful species, and getting rarer and rarer.

chaco.jpg

I like this one.

DSC01194.jpg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Not this year. But last years are still in the incubator. Not too certain if they will hatch. But I know I will be successful next year. Have a good method to try next go around.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If I see any for sale???

The only ones I'll probably ever see for sale will be from you. :)

Do you know of anyone else breeding? Wee had a forum member here that was into it, but I don't think he's too fond of me. I could always ask. Worse he could do is say no. He was a classy guy. He would probably say, "No, thank you."

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Tom said:
If I see any for sale???

Do you know of anyone else breeding? Wee had a forum member here that was into it, but I don't think he's too fond of me. I could always ask. Worse he could do is say no. He was a classy guy. He would probably say, "No, thank you."

Who danny? I dont think he has his anymore. So far just me an behler that I know of. I know there are a few people in the private sector that are breeding them. They take around 344-401 days to hatch and only lay like 2 maybe 3 eggs a year in one clutch so even if someone was breeding a bunch of them still wouldnt be many available to the public im sure.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
tortadise said:
Not this year. But last years are still in the incubator. Not too certain if they will hatch. But I know I will be successful next year. Have a good method to try next go around.

I wish you have a great success in breeding this.

Mini sulcata, who wouldn't want to care for this species? :D

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
SW Tn
Love these little guys. I need to remember to take a pic of my little man. No judging though, I got him when we was 6 and the damage was already done. I hope he can still breed

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
tortadise said:
Tom said:
If I see any for sale???

Who danny? I dont think he has his anymore. So far just me an behler that I know of. I know there are a few people in the private sector that are breeding them. They take around 344-401 days to hatch and only lay like 2 maybe 3 eggs a year in one clutch so even if someone was breeding a bunch of them still wouldnt be many available to the public im sure.
I worked with a group of 4.1 chaco tortoises for about five years at the local zoo. The group consisted of WC animals that had grown poorly in the years prior to my taking over husbandry. They were raised indoors for almost ten years prior to my arrival. The female had two surgeries to remove eggs from her body cavity. Shortly after housing her outdoors during the hot summers here she started nesting proper. I wish I had my zoo notes on her. She nested 1-3 eggs per clutch. She nested 4-6 times a year! I only ever hatched one over the years.
Of note, when a single egg clutch was laid, it was a huge egg. When 2-3 were laid, they were noticably smaller. Again I wish I had even taken notes on this. I suppose I was too busy taking care of pythons.:cool:
Have you seen the Turtle Conservancy's film on the chaco tortoise? It is very interesting in regards to the different species.

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
SW Tn
Benjamin said:
I worked with a group of 4.1 chaco tortoises for about five years at the local zoo. The group consisted of WC animals that had grown poorly in the years prior to my taking over husbandry. They were raised indoors for almost ten years prior to my arrival. The female had two surgeries to remove eggs from her body cavity. Shortly after housing her outdoors during the hot summers here she started nesting proper. I wish I had my zoo notes on her. She nested 1-3 eggs per clutch. She nested 4-6 times a year! I only ever hatched one over the years.
Of note, when a single egg clutch was laid, it was a huge egg. When 2-3 were laid, they were noticably smaller. Again I wish I had even taken notes on this. I suppose I was too busy taking care of pythons.:cool:
Have you seen the Turtle Conservancy's film on the chaco tortoise? It is very interesting in regards to the different species.

Just watched it!!! WOW

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Benjamin said:
tortadise said:
Tom said:
If I see any for sale???

Im going to have to check that out. How awesom on multiple clutches. I only got single annual clutches. 2-4 eggs and yeah they are huge eggs.

poison

5 Year Member
can somebody post the link to the vid? all i can find is the trailer

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana
tortadise said:
Here are some lovely chaco tortoise photos I took a while back. I enjoy them so hope you guys do too.

I went to Argentina in 2005 and again in 2006 and the highlight of my trip were seeing up close and personal Chaco tortoise, it was love at first sight. Do you breed them??? If you don't do you know if it's possible to bring one from Argentina legally??? Now that my home is tort friendly I would seriously consider going back for one of those beautiful creatures.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good question. Can they be legally brought in? I don't think they are endangered down there and it would be great to get some captive breeding happening. I bet they'd do great in my area.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
No they cannot. Argentina has the subspecies of 1 of the 3 chaco tortises. They are critically endangered in argentina patagonian desert of the Gran Chaco regions. Paraguay can legally export, but has not because of false CITES paperwork in the previous years and have shut down export since 2008. Bolivia does not export these from thier regions, nor does a smal portion of Brazil where they are found

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Chacos are legal to bring in from Argentina. They are laundered under Captive Bred paperwork which is what makes them Illegal, and are subsequently confiscated every time. Only a few people have been stupid enough to try it, and one is sitting in jail for the next 25 years. Last time USFW let them in was Daytona of 2010? or 09' when one Argentinian Exporter brought a bunch of stuff over for the show. There are a few people breeding them over there, but no one is going to grow them to 4" just to sell them for pennies on the dollar compared to sending them to other Countries when they hatch. In some areas they are considered Agricultural Pests, and are subsequently dismembered with a shovel similar to the way some Testudo species are treated in the Mediterranean........

Status
Not open for further replies.