Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
EricIvins said:
Chacos are legal to bring in from Argentina. They are laundered under Captive Bred paperwork which is what makes them Illegal, and are subsequently confiscated every time. Only a few people have been stupid enough to try it, and one is sitting in jail for the next 25 years. Last time USFW let them in was Daytona of 2010? or 09' when one Argentinian Exporter brought a bunch of stuff over for the show. There are a few people breeding them over there, but no one is going to grow them to 4" just to sell them for pennies on the dollar compared to sending them to other Countries when they hatch. In some areas they are considered Agricultural Pests, and are subsequently dismembered with a shovel similar to the way some Testudo species are treated in the Mediterranean........

Thank you for the info.

So why can't we bring some legal, legitimate ones in? Does the 4" rule apply here? Is this why you mentioned no one would want to raise them up to that size for a small amount of money? So If a source for legal ones could be found in Argentina, and they were the right size, they could, in theory, be legally brought in with all the necessary permits? Is it that no one will put up the money because they fear the government will assume the paperwork is phony and confiscate them?

I'd certainly rather see them in breeding colonies here than dismember in some South American farmer's field.

Bert Langerwerf was able to bring Tegus in from Argentina, not so long ago. Doesn;t seem like it should be such an impossible task. Please, lay some more education on me.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Tom said:
EricIvins said:
Chacos are legal to bring in from Argentina. They are laundered under Captive Bred paperwork which is what makes them Illegal, and are subsequently confiscated every time. Only a few people have been stupid enough to try it, and one is sitting in jail for the next 25 years. Last time USFW let them in was Daytona of 2010? or 09' when one Argentinian Exporter brought a bunch of stuff over for the show. There are a few people breeding them over there, but no one is going to grow them to 4" just to sell them for pennies on the dollar compared to sending them to other Countries when they hatch. In some areas they are considered Agricultural Pests, and are subsequently dismembered with a shovel similar to the way some Testudo species are treated in the Mediterranean........

Thank you for the info.

So why can't we bring some legal, legitimate ones in? Does the 4" rule apply here? Is this why you mentioned no one would want to raise them up to that size for a small amount of money? So If a source for legal ones could be found in Argentina, and they were the right size, they could, in theory, be legally brought in with all the necessary permits? Is it that no one will put up the money because they fear the government will assume the paperwork is phony and confiscate them?

I'd certainly rather see them in breeding colonies here than dismember in some South American farmer's field.

Bert Langerwerf was able to bring Tegus in from Argentina, not so long ago. Doesn;t seem like it should be such an impossible task. Please, lay some more education on me.

The 4" rule is why you don't see hardly any of the rare Turtles and Tortoises in the US. While in theory they can be brought in, USFW will more than likely confiscate them. There is not one person in the US with an Import/Export license that is willing to take that chance. Not with the fallout that would have them loose their licenses and livelyhood. Paraguay is a viable option, but you would be hard pressed to find anyone willing to take a chance on a group of Chacos with loss rates near 100%.

Tegus are completely different. They are farmed by the thousands for both the pet, skin, and meat trade........

What doesn't seem like such a hard task usually is, which is why you don't see them available. Too much investment to loose your rear on. No one in their right mind is going to raise these animals to 4", when they can sell them to Japan or China as hatchlings for 5x what any American would pay. This is why we don't see Cherryheads from Brazil anymore. The Brazilian Gov't allows them to be Exported, but the american dollar is valued way too low to compete with the Asians.......

( I could bring in at least 4 different Cherryhead "types" being bred down there right now........)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What I'm not understanding is, why would USFW confiscate them and people lose licenses or get jail time if everything was carefully done legally and above board?

I know some of these agencies have become rogue maniac bullies. Is that the case here with USFW?

For instance, what is the difference between bringing in Russians from Khazikstan (a common occurrence), and chacos from Argentina?

I did hear about the recent pancakes that were imported legally and then the government whackos went around confiscating any that were still left, after the fact. That was a friend of mine. Do you know what that was all about? Is it all sort of related?

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
SW Tn
poison said:
can somebody post the link to the vid? all i can find is the trailer

You have to buy the DVD from the website if I am not mistaken. I just ordered one. The digital version is cheaper.

poison

5 Year Member
safari_lass1 said:
poison said:
can somebody post the link to the vid? all i can find is the trailer

You have to buy the DVD from the website if I am not mistaken. I just ordered one. The digital version is cheaper.
ah ok let me know if its worth it :)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Hey Kelly...GREAT shots! I hate to slap you in the face...but any of those shots would've made the calendar! ;)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well one of them was in the voting poll. Wasn't too popular with the votes. All I can say is I tried :D

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
SW Tn
tortadise said:
Well one of them was in the voting poll. Wasn't too popular with the votes. All I can say is I tried :D

I voted!!!! I printed it off and hung it on my wall anyways ;)) gave my Chaco some company lol

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
safari_lass1 said:
tortadise said:

I voted!!!! I printed it off and hung it on my wall anyways ;)) gave my Chaco some company lol

Well thank you. I liked the photo I used too.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Those Chaco photos warmed my heart...what my Taco would look like with a perfect shell. A mirror image of my sweetheart!

Thanks. It's nice to see such a perfect specimen. :)

And definitely submit again for next year's calendar. A Chaco would be the perfect addition to that project. :tort:

Halcyon

10 Year Member!
Chicago, IL
Stephanie Logan said:
Those Chaco photos warmed my heart...what my Taco would look like with a perfect shell. A mirror image of my sweetheart!

Thanks. It's nice to see such a perfect specimen. :)

And definitely submit again for next year's calendar. A Chaco would be the perfect addition to that project. :tort:

I wish Kelly's Chaco had made it on the calendar too!

However, there is one Chaco or two, if you can notice from the picture, that made it to the 2013 calendar! :D

Attachments

• DSC01924.JPG
    DSC01924.JPG
    409.5 KB · Views: 77

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
He's so cute! How big do Chaco tortoise's get?

Halcyon said:
I wish Kelly's Chaco had made it on the calendar too!

However, there is one Chaco or two, if you can notice from the picture, that made it to the 2013 calendar! :D

Oh that's a Chaco, I voted for that one! :D:p

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yep I voted for that one too :D gotta keep the chacos strong out there :D I can never get those yawning shots.

Halcyon

10 Year Member!
Chicago, IL
tortadise said:
Yep I voted for that one too :D gotta keep the chacos strong out there :D I can never get those yawning shots.

:D:D Thanks for your votes!

Whenever I take Chico out of the flower pot where he's hiding, he sometimes gives a rather large and long yawn. :tort:

TortoiseBoy1999: I think most Chacos at most reach 9 inches. Kelly will have to correct me if I am wrong. Mine is 4.75 inches at 1.5 years old.

I'll post more about my Chacos next time. I somehow happened to reunite two separated clutch mates. :shy:

schark2000

5 Year Member
Hello Tortoise enthusiast my name is keith and live on Long Island, ny. I have owned a Chaco Tortoise for 25 years. She is a female about 8 inches. I did not know they were so rare until I read this forum. I purchased this tortoise from a pet store when I was a young boy. Living through raising my own children we have a long history together. I keep her outside in a pen through the warmer months and bring her inside through the cooler months. When I first brought him home the pet store told me to feed her high protein pellets, but have been feeding her vegetables and fruits in more recent years. I would love to learn more about her and better ways to care for her

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well hello. Another chaco keeper. Glad to have you. So whats your main diet you are feeding now? These guys eat mainly grass, braod leaf weeds, and succulents. I would definitely stay to a very small portion of animal proteins in this species. Cool you have had her that long. Can you post a pic of her?

Status
Not open for further replies.