Change in incubator temps

saukee9

5 Year Member
I have two Russian Tortoise eggs in an incubator (first clutch ever!!). The temps were stable at 88.9 degrees since October 24th. Today I check and the heat in the room was up and the temps had rose to about 91 degrees. It couldn't have been up for over 24 hours. I now have the temps back down to where they were. Will this hurt the chances of catching?? Very worried now.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Oh no you cooked them lol. Joking aside I highly doubt a couple degrees for less than 24 hours will do anything. Maybe will get you females or extra scutes. Most likely nothing will happen to them if it was for just a short period of time.

In the wild they never are a constant temp as they fluctuate. I think some breeders actually fluctuate the temps on purpose for numerous reasons.

saukee9

5 Year Member
Oh no you cooked them lol. Joking aside I highly doubt a couple degrees for less than 24 hours will do anything. Maybe will get you females or extra scutes. Most likely nothing will happen to them if it was for just a short period of time.

In the wild they never are a constant temp as they fluctuate. I think some breeders actually fluctuate the temps on purpose for numerous reasons.

Ok, another. When we first put them in (we didn't know that we were having eggs that day) we used the substrate they were laid in. It is a mixture of RebtiBark and Top Soil. We put it in a small plastic container and were covered the eggs up. I notice in all the pictures that the eggs are sitting on top. Should be uncover them and is the substrate ok? I don't know where to get vermiculite. Have never heard of it. Sorry we are new to the "baby thing" and we are trying to do the very best we can this go around and do it better next time. We are hoping for Christmas Babies. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Ok, another. When we first put them in (we didn't know that we were having eggs that day) we used the substrate they were laid in. It is a mixture of RebtiBark and Top Soil. We put it in a small plastic container and were covered the eggs up. I notice in all the pictures that the eggs are sitting on top. Should be uncover them and is the substrate ok? I don't know where to get vermiculite. Have never heard of it. Sorry we are new to the "baby thing" and we are trying to do the very best we can this go around and do it better next time. We are hoping for Christmas Babies. :)

I've never done it with that substrate, so I really don't know how well it works. You'll just have to tell us in another couple of months. Buried or unburied should not matter. Just leave the substrate relatively dry, and maintain humidity in the incubator with separate containers of water in there.

Some minor temp fluctuation like that should not be a big deal.

First clutches are often not fertile, but sometimes they are. Just don't feel disappointed if these eggs don't turn out. It is common and nothing to worry about. Does not mean you did anything wrong.

saukee9

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone and thank you Tom! I know you are very respected in the forum and you are an expert in tortoise care. Thank you very much!!