Wandering Tumble

Location (City and/or State)
Southampton, UK
Hi, I’m new here, but I really need help figuring out what to do. Here is an introduction:
I have a russian tortoise. Her name is Chili. She has 3 legs (front left missing) due to what we think was a bird’s failed hunting attempt during very early childhood. We’ve had her for over 25 years, even before I was born. My dad rescued her at a market, nobody else wanted to buy her because of her injury. I grew up with her in the household, and I couldn’t imagine a life without her, she’s my family. We have always let her roam around the apartment freely, fed her a variety of greens and veggies, gave her little soaking baths and ensured the floor was free from any dangers that might harm her. She has several hiding places which she goes to whenever she needs, they are warm and dark, and we made sure they are safe for her. We occasionally take her on “walks” when the ground and air are warm enough, and let her chew on the grass and do her business. She’s a very picky eater, so we only feed her what she knows she wants. We have moved apartments 3 times since we got her, and though change is hard for tortoises, she has always had the freedom to roam, so she adapted quickly. She had a respiratory infection a couple years ago, but luckily we noticed quick and treated it immediately. She is okay now. We have a lamp, an old lightbulb which emits heat, which we use as a warm spot for her, and she used it when she pleases. We make sure it’s not too hot, though.
Now for the big issue:
We are moving again. But this time, moving countries, overseas. And I know for a fact it will be a big hit on her. I can’t leave her behind or give her away, that isn’t an option for us. We are moving to a carpeted apartment, meaning we won’t be able to let her roam around the entire apartment. There is a backyard with tiles and grass. I was thinking of getting her a large enclosure, but I’m really not sure what kind is best, and how to go about this. Of course, transporting her is a whole big thing on its own, and I’d appreciate any advice on it. What can I do? How do I make it as fun, calm and safe for her as possible?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where are you moving to? Have you looked at internationally traveling a reptile? Its not easy.

The tortoise should never be loose on the floor. It cannot be made safe, and you are lucky that a little sickness is the only bad thing that has happened over the years.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
If we know what country you're moving to, we can (hopefully) tag some members in that country who may be able to give you some more local advice. If you're moving to the U.S., it would help to know what part. :)

Wandering Tumble

Southampton, UK
I’m moving from Lithuania to the UK! I’ve tried reading up on how to travel with reptiles, but it’s all very vague and mostly just mentions cats, dogs and ferrets. :(

As for the enclosure, I know she won’t be able to roam the apartment anymore, so I want to know what I can do for her. I don’t want her to be sad and unsafe, I’ll do as much as I can. The apartment is relatively small, as were most of our apartments.

Wandering Tumble

Southampton, UK
The tortoise should never be loose on the floor. It cannot be made safe, and you are lucky that a little sickness is the only bad thing that has happened over the years.

I wish I’d have known this sooner! Though due to me being too young, I had no control over her enclosure, or anything really. My family is always running on low funds, but I have earned some extra money from a job, and I can afford getting her a proper enclosure now. We really are lucky, especially considering she’s now over 25 years old.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wish I’d have known this sooner! Though due to me being too young, I had no control over her enclosure, or anything really. My family is always running on low funds, but I have earned some extra money from a job, and I can afford getting her a proper enclosure now. We really are lucky, especially considering she’s now over 25 years old.
Here is the care info for Russians. There should be some useful info in here for you: