Charging/Ramming Sulcatas

prettysure

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hi all, hopefully posting this in the right section.
Looking for some advice.

We have two sulcatas aged approximately 12 and 8. We've owned them from tiny little chicken nugget sized hatchlings, and they've lived together in close proximity since birth. We believe they're both males. Over the years we've seen brief encounters of mounting (humping?) but no signs of serious aggression.

A year ago we moved into a house with a very large backyard which they have free reign over. Plenty of space, plenty of fresh grass and weeds and plenty of places to hide/rest.

Over the course of the past few months the mounting has become more and more frequent and within the last few weeks, we've caught them routinely seeking each other out in the yard and charging into each other. They ram each other and push each other and we've actually seen them flip. It seems very aggressive and is new to us. Given how much space they have, we don't think it is a territorial issue, but we aren't sure what else it could be.

Fortunately, I work from home so I'm able to keep constant eyes on them and have recently separated them, but I'm hoping for some info and advice as to why this may be happening and if there's any solution to fix it aside from permanent separation or re-homing one of our beloved torts.

Thanks in advance!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry, but separating is the only thing I kniw of, from this forum. I would do it ASAP before one gets killed and yes, one can very likely get killed. @Tom might be able to advise some other suggestions, but I think seperating is your only option.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are doing this because they are sulcata tortoises. They should never be housed in a pair and two mature males together is almost certainly a death sentence for one. Sometimes they can get along in large groups in large outdoor enclosures, but even then it usually won't work with more than one male.

There is no "solution". This is completely normal tortoise behavior and the only surprise is that it has not been more of a problem sooner.

These two need to stay separated permanently. No need to get rid of one. Just divide the yard and make a second night house. You could make one large night house with a divider and have it straddle the two enclosures. This way you are only heating one night box, but they have separate quarters within it and separate entrances.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Years ago I saw some pictures of an adult sulcata with his shell split open on one side. This was caused by another adult sulcata ramming him from the side. I've tried many times since then to find that picture again so I can post it here, but I just can't find it.

If you don't separate them, you could have a really bad accident on your hands.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
@prettysure Do you mind posting pictures of them...not necessarily ramming...but the two together...or separate...doesn't really matter! If dividing the yard isn't an option, you might need to part with one of them.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am curious as to how big your yard is/ Anyways, seperation is prob. the only thing that will work. Lots of sight barriers, logs (lots of them), might, I stress might alleviate the problem. Depending on the size of the yard you might have to re-home one. Sorry to say.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Yes that one was pretty bad.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, like so many of our more experienced and interesting members, he has stopped posting. I'll send him a private conversation and see if he still monitors the Forum.

(Anyone know ExoticsDr's email address?)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I remember that thread. Graphic pics.

The father of my sulcata female, Daisy, killed three other males that way. If you remember, Daisy herself was trying to kill other torts until I put her 8 pound little self in with the 80 pound adults and they had a talk with her...

prettysure

5 Year Member
Texas
Hi everyone, I truly appreciate the advice. The torts have been separated in the yard as we try to figure out what to do next.

@DeanS - Here they are, in all their fall colored glory.

Attachments

• IMG_5726.JPG
    IMG_5726.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 40

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
It's all about that four year difference. I had some dominance issues with MONSTRO and Jimmy...but that was when we though Jimmy was Jamie! There was no aggression...just a WHOLE LOTTA this...
DSC_0050 (7).JPG

So, the decision was made to place Jimmy with a friend of mine! 1/4 acre of grass weeds and garden-grown veggies all to himself!

@prettysure ...they are handsome! If you have the space to keep them separated...do so! I wouldn't want to part with either one ;)

leopard777

5 Year Member
I remember that thread. Graphic pics.

The father of my sulcata female, Daisy, killed three other males that way. If you remember, Daisy herself was trying to kill other torts until I put her 8 pound little self in with the 80 pound adults and they had a talk with her...

meeting with the elders , nice