Is it just my dog and tortoise?

trixie557

Has anyone else's dog and tort bonded? Mayhem and Shakespeare ADORE each other. If Shake isn't in his tank where you find one you will find the other. Outside, inside, anywhere. We've been to photo shoots, expos, the park... and Mae carries Shake most the trip. She is his personal playground and heat source. I was so worried with the horror stories of dogs and baby sulcatas, but this is so easy. Is it just my pair?

Attachments

• 10302539_10202647250521392_5473718975326702769_n.jpg
    10302539_10202647250521392_5473718975326702769_n.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 119

Kele7710

5 Year Member
Omg this is giving me heart failure :eek: my dog nearly killed my tort 3 days after getting the tort, I would never trust a dog around a tort no matter how friendly and well trained, months of vet treatments and massive vet bills Stanley is very lucky to be alive, I personally, talking from horrific experience wouldn't let my dog & tort mix.
However your dog and tort are both very gorgeous :)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Look at those bluebonnets :)
Beautiful animals but heed the warnings you will get about dogs and tortoises. It's not just baby sulcatas and dogs, it's any dog and any shelled reptile.
That is a beautiful picture though.

Elohi(Earth)

trixie557

I should say the two are NEVER alone together. I trust Mayhem, but **** happens. I'm always right there.

simiruco

5 Year Member
Mexico City
I should say the two are NEVER alone together. I trust Mayhem, but **** happens. I'm always right there.
You need to realize that Mayhem can kill the turtle before you can say STOP.

P. S. That picture is beautiful

trixie557

While I do relize that. I also know Mae has been around reptiles and small animals her entire life and is my service dog. I have to be able to trust her. If I go down and Shake is I do know Mayhem won't hurt him and does listen to vocal commands with no issue. It is a know your dog thing. I also know we have 6 other dogs in the house not allowed in the room if Shakespeare isnt put up.

M

Maggie Cummings

Omg this is giving me heart failure :eek: my dog nearly killed my tort 3 days after getting the tort, I would never trust a dog around a tort no matter how friendly and well trained, months of vet treatments and massive vet bills Stanley is very lucky to be alive, I personally, talking from horrific experience wouldn't let my dog & tort mix.
However your dog and tort are both very gorgeous :)

Me too! In captivity the biggest predator of chelonia are dogs. You simply must keep them separate. I will tell you the story about Mildred a 20 year old Gopherus agassizii...she lived in the same house with a dog for 18 years. EIGHTEEN YEARS. Then one day the keeper came home from work to find that Mildred was missing her left front leg. It was never found, dog must have eaten it. He also licked the wound good enough that it wasn't even bleeding. So the keeper paid a Vet to fix the wound and decided that she no longer wanted to keep this beautiful endangered species and I ended up with her, she kept the dog. Why did that dog do that to Mildred after so many years together? We'll never know.

Tom is a well known popular member here on TFO. He is also a professional dog trainer. Here's a link to his story of dog versus tortoise.
It made me cry. If you love that little Sulcata you will keep him away from that beautiful Saint. They are cute together, but your baby could be gone in 2 seconds and one bite...Please separate them and protect that baby.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-dog-story.45850/
Please believe me when I say you cannot trust ANY dog around a tortoise. I am not trying to be mean, but years of experience with tortoises has taught me that. My sister has been involved in tortoise rescue for 35 years will tell you that. I cannot stress it enough. Dogs and tortoise are a dangerous situation...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
And this is not an issue of who is right and who is wrong...it is completely to allow you to see that there is such a final result for a tort if the loyal dog should have a moment....this does not make the dog a bad dog, just simply a dog.....service dogs are still dogs.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
Please don't take anything the wrong way. People here have just seen and heard the horror stories way too often and don't want anything bad to happen to your tort. It is very possible that nothing would ever happen but why take the chance. Then imagine the guilt you would have to live with. But on another note, the pic is adorable!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Trixie,

It seems like you are aware of the danger, and you've already said that all interaction is supervised, so I feel no need to go on and on about it, but there is just one more thing I want to share. The VAST majority of people whose tortoises were chewed up by their dogs thought that their dog would never do such a thing. I have seen many people in situations similar to yours end up with a chewed tortoise one day.

We are all going on about this because we have personally seen the damage that can be done, and it is catastrophic. Please just do not think that your dog is not capable, and continue using the good sense that you already have been using. We just don't want to see another disaster is all. We mean well and we all care about tortoises.

Best wishes,
Tom

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its a great picture. But I'm betting you're sorry you ever even thought about posting it. I guess you've figured out by now that most of us are pretty vocal about dogs and tortoises. Please don't let it get to you. We'd love to see you post more about your dog and your tortoise, both of which are very photo-worthy! I love the Saints, and yours is a beauty.

trixie557

Not upset, and I do understand the danger, but to me its know thy dog. They'll never be left alone, but Mae isnt a typical dog. Do I know one day we could have an issue, yes, but I also know I am less then a foot away and I know Mayhem's reaction time to things and I'm comfortable with my choice.

Can't really be mad about people passionate about thier pets :)