Chat thread 2.22

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Spring is in the air here at the Beach.View attachment 340879 We've had an average winter temperature wise but not enough snow to even get a good picture of Walker out in it. I was outside a couple days ago well after dark and heard something. I couldn't make out what it was until it got closer. It was a big flock of geese heading north.
Ohhh daffodils! Any of the wild turtles up?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not reading any books? What is the puzzle of?
Many, many puzzles! Because the Kindle screen is so small, I can't see the pieces if I go for more than 225 pieces. So I usually finish a puzzle in a half hour or so. But, as it turned out, I sat down and worked with Turbo Tax on my tax returns. I should just get a rubber stamp made. It's the same every year right down to the rounded up penny.😉😉

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Morning Len! Not so bad here today, but we do have snow dancing around.

How many water turtles do you have?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Frost on the pumpkin this a.m. My first clue was waking up to the wind machines in the orange groves blasting away.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh those sneaky devils!

Being retired from AT&T, I have many perks available to me, one of which being free land line service. My email is through AT&T/Yahoo.

Every day I see that the software has eliminated many spam emails before I even see them.

Starting last Monday I have been receiving spam emails to the tune of six or eight every time I open the email program. I wonder why they're not being caught and deleted.

Well, this morning I found out why. There was an ad from Yahoo letting me know they have a new spam filter and they'll give me a month free to try it out. After that it's X number of dollars a month.

So I guess that's their way of telling me no more free spam filter.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Oh those sneaky devils!

Being retired from AT&T, I have many perks available to me, one of which being free land line service. My email is through AT&T/Yahoo.

Every day I see that the software has eliminated many spam emails before I even see them.

Starting last Monday I have been receiving spam emails to the tune of six or eight every time I open the email program. I wonder why they're not being caught and deleted.

Well, this morning I found out why. There was an ad from Yahoo letting me know they have a new spam filter and they'll give me a month free to try it out. After that it's X number of dollars a month.

Subtle, very very subtle.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Morning Len! Not so bad here today, but we do have snow dancing around.

How many water turtles do you have?
There are 3 eastern painted turtles, 3 red bellied, and 4 red ear sliders out there. Never made it to 40 degrees today. One of red belly's (Sparky) and one red ear slider will be 19 years old this year.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
There are 3 eastern painted turtles, 3 red bellied, and 4 red ear sliders out there. Never made it to 40 degrees today. One of red belly's (Sparky) and one red ear slider will be 19 years old this year.
Wow, that's getting up there in age. Have they always lived outside?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Outside this morning (-2), it looks like somebody covered the world in large size glitter. Not the usual frost. This stuff looks like much bigger pieces. The entire yard was justa sparkling away.

Anybody have plans for the day?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Oh those sneaky devils!

They decided you had too much time on your hands and just wanna help out. Lol

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I can relate to all of that. The area where I live has the most days where I didn't wish the weather was different in a given year. Maybe that's why I stay here... So much of every year is comfortably between 65 and 85 here, and almost always sunny. Its the days in the 50s in winter, or 100s in summer that make me complain the most. Luckily, we don't have too many days of either extreme. I too love to sit and watch my giants climb their hills and graze all day. Life is better with Chelonians in it.
So what current projects do you have in the works?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do they make a lot of noise? I thought you had nut trees across the road?
Yes, an almond orchard across the street, but there are many orange groves east, north and west of me. The wind machines are like old time air plane motors with propellers. Yes, they make a LOT of noise!

1645803885125.png

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Yes, an almond orchard across the street, but there are many orange groves east, north and west of me. The wind machines are like old time air plane motors with propellers. Yes, they make a LOT of noise!

View attachment 340939
You would think they would have figured out how to make the machines quieter by now. This was an issue back in the 70's when they were experimenting with blades & tower sizes. I guess there are some things you can't fix. Does it drive you "nuts?" That was also a concern back then, too. And, of course, the impact on wildlife.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You would think they would have figured out how to make the machines quieter by now. This was an issue back in the 70's when they were experimenting with blades & tower sizes. I guess there are some things you can't fix. Does it drive you "nuts?" That was also a concern back then, too. And, of course, the impact on wildlife.
It does wake me up if I had gone to bed prior to them coming on, but I go back to sleep easy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So what current projects do you have in the works?
Hmmm... How much time do you have?

My current biggest project is taking over ownership of the business that I have been working for since the mid 90s and running since 2013. The boss is ready to fully retire and hand it over to me. That is taking up a lot of time. Lots of permits and licensing to do along with the insurance and business stuff. Boring...

Animal-wise I recently got a couple of new bearded dragons and a false water cobra. All my other animals are doing great. I'm hatching a ton of platynota every year, and still trying to figure out the best formula to hatch more of the SA leopard eggs. Waiting for my radiata male to get large enough to do his job. Falconry season just ended, so my boys are getting some much needed rest, recuperation, and an abundance of food after another amazing season that has provided some great stories to tell . My female cribo is back with the breeder for breeding, and hoping to get a few more babies this year. My blue tongue skink got moved to a giant enclosure, and seems quite content with the new surroundings. My old dog is finally wrapping up his TV series and I'm still waiting to find out if he will be in the spin off, or not. I've now got three standard poodles and two new terrier pups for the business. Got my parrots in shape and flying around again for several jobs in a row for them. All is good with the animals.

My daughter started Krav Maga and Brazilian Ju Jitsu and is loving both. It has been life changing for her. She continues to get straight A's, and is developing into a dynamic human being. Wife is in nursing school.

Staying very busy. Having lots of fun. Generally enjoying life and trying to live it to the fullest.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Tom - What series is your dog in? Are you associated at all with the movie "Dog"?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom - What series is your dog in? Are you associated at all with the movie "Dog"?
Seven is in "The Walking Dead".

"Dog" was done by my trainer for another company. Sore subject. My dogs did some bite work for one scene, and we had some background dogs for a little outdoor café scene.