Cheapest most efficient enclosure?

Location (City and/or State)
United States
Whats the cheapest most efficient way to build a tortoise enclosure for a baby tortoise. When i had my redfoot before i used a big plastic tub container. That seemed to be the best method at the time.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's still a pretty good method. I use something I can carry, then I take the whole thing outside during the day and bring the whole thing back in after a few hours.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Plastic storage tuns is your best best. As the 2 ladies said and showed you. You can dress it up anyway.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can try something like this. View attachment 238205
This tote looks pretty small. It's best to get the longer ones like Yvonne has posted a few times. Not the under the bed ones but the ones that are the size of the under the bed ones but with higher sides. The smaller the enclosure the harder it is too keep temp zones and to have enough room for the furniture needed and room to exercise. Although yours looks nice, a bigger one will last longer and be easier.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I use multiple Christmas tree tubs connected to gather! (Great L shaped enclosure that surrounds the inside of two walls in the Tortoise room!)

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
This tote looks pretty small. It's best to get the longer ones like Yvonne has posted a few times. Not the under the bed ones but the ones that are the size of the under the bed ones but with higher sides. The smaller the enclosure the harder it is too keep temp zones and to have enough room for the furniture needed and room to exercise. Although yours looks nice, a bigger one will last longer and be easier.
Thanks Wellington, good advise however that one was a temp one for a new hatchling and if I had to carry on using it for the baby I was going to add more of them with tunnels connecting. But luckily for me I have ended up with four hatchlings so have been able to put them all together in the much bigger one I had. In Sa we don't really get the big ones like you do. So anybody here can get those but you WOULD need to add more than one together. The nice thing about it being this size is that you can go around corners etc. And you can make it interesting for your tort to explore.