Cherryhead losing color

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
phtanus said:
My baby cherry has a very similar problem. Her scales are turning white/light color and she grows slower than the other male cherry tort.
I really don't know why this happens.

See my post before :

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-My-baby-redfoot-s-scales-turn-white#axzz1sJtxST7u

Try soaking your tortoise in some distilled water for 10-15min, then scrub the affected regions with a soft-bristled toothbrush. When I did this, a lot of the minerals (crud) came off. Let us know what happens for you. Coagi's head looks similar to your torts, but I think this is likely mineral deposits again.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
After looking at your previous thread with more pictures, it may be fungus on the scales. Since there is fungus on the plastron, it may have spread. Your substrate is too damp and will cause other health problems. I would suggest you make the necessary changes. What are your conditions? (Sorry Chris for totally hijacking your thread).

phtanus

5 Year Member
Ames, IA
I tried to wash and brush the tort, and I am not sure if the white (or light yellow) scale was caused by something not clean.

Anyway, I posted two pictures, before and after brushing. The background of the pictures are a little different, and they may be hard to compare to each other. I really hope my tort is not ill...

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 34
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 40

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
phtanus said:
I tried to wash and brush the tort, and I am not sure if the white (or light yellow) scale was caused by something not clean.

Anyway, I posted two pictures, before and after brushing. The background of the pictures are a little different, and they may be hard to compare to each other. I really hope my tort is not ill...

I'm not really sure what's going on here... It looks like the washing didn't take a lot of the yellow/white away, but it is a bit difficult to tell from the pictures. If the little one is eating fine and behaving fine, just keep an eye on him and reassess your substrate situation as Allegra mentioned (how wet is it?).

Have you treated the plastron fungus?

The scales on my tort where very white, and it didn't take a lot of brushing to remove the mineral deposits from my tap water. I wish I could give you more insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.