Cherryhead uvb lighting help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sezdawg

5 Year Member
I have a 4ft repti glo 10.0 (in combo with a standard 4ft bulb which provides better terrarium lighting.) is that ok having both? They are hanging about 1.5 ft above my cherry head enclosure. Should I raise it up more? Or Block out some I've the light? Remove the normal bulb? Just don't want to harm the guy!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Pictures would be helpful.

So long as there are plenty of plants and hides in the enclosure, 2 bulbs shouldn't be overpoweringly bright.
http://tortoiselibrary.com/ - good discussion on lighting here. See "Housing" -> "Lighting" on the left menu bar.

A great formula taken straight from this resource below - for more context I'd strongly encourage reading this article and exploring that site extensively for general care and husbandry practices. My favorite book, which covers most of the questions you've been posing on the forum, is Mike Pingleton's The Redfoot Manual (http://www.pingleton.com/redfoot/redfoots.htm). It's worth every penny to pick a copy up. If you can't swing the cost, the tortoiselibrary.com is the best free resource I've found for redfoot care.

Snip!
"A baseline wattage can be figured out by multiplying the length and width of the space, in feet, then multiplying that answer by 1.5. My 48in x 20in 'tortarium' habitat is about 8 square feet. Multiply that by 1.5 and I need about 12 watts to light it to a comfortable level. This seems rather low, so the formula may not work for smaller spaces so you might double or even triple it for smaller spaces."

Sezdawg

5 Year Member
Thank you! I've actually been looking for some good literature on red foots! I will certainly be picking up a copy!

Sezdawg

5 Year Member
Ok, if the pic shows up this is what my setup looks like!

Attachments

• image-559948597.png
    image-559948597.png
    902.1 KB · Views: 38

Sezdawg

5 Year Member
Here we go

Attachments

• 2012-11-27 19.38.20.jpg
    2012-11-27 19.38.20.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Sezdawg said:
Here we go

Ok well first off I would get that nylons flag away from there! Nylon can catch fire and burn fast! Use the lid to cover part of container, or cut lid in half!

Status
Not open for further replies.