1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!
Dismiss Notice
We are aware of current issues with the Tortoise Forum mobile app. We are working diligently to have the app updated to support all mobile devices again. As always, donations are greatly appreciated!

Chicory on steroids- Dirty Gardner

Discussion in 'Tortoise Product Reviews' started by PA2019, Oct 8, 2017.

1. PA2019

PA2019 New Member

I try to grow enough weeds in my pens for my stars to not need supplemental feedings, which means I've tried a ton of different seeds and seed mixes. So far, without a doubt, the Chicory seeds from the "Dirty Gardner" has been incredible.

Once thrown in the pens I have sprouting overnight, and within a week its a jungle in there. I forgot to water the sprouts for a couple days and they still grew no problem. The seeds are non-GMO and are not inoculated as well. Best of all, the torts DEVOUR the leaves. A 5 lb bag will probably last you forever, unless you have 20 stars, or maybe 1 sulcata.

https://www.amazon.com/Dirty-Garden...8W57U/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8#Ask

Here is a pic of the sprouting overnight (tossed seeds in at 6pm, took picture @ 8am next morning)

6xIlb+1ATmeViIvz+bqjWg.jpg

Here is a patch after 1 week. Some clover/testudo mix was growing there b/f but the majority is the chicory.

Ku+VREIwRMOwmMGxh%nzlg.jpg
  2. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Chicory grows very well for me here too. Mine takes two or three days to sprout, but that is likely explained by our cold nights here. Even in summer with 100+ temps, our nights drop into the low 60s most of the time.

I also have to water several times a day in our hot dry climate when the seeds are first sprouting. Mine would certainly die if I didn't water for two days.