Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm happy to report that this show did not go down like the last CTTC show that was reported on. There was NO mixing of species anywhere in the whole show. The small DTs on display had a water bowl. Most of the people were reasonably knowledgeable, although you know, of course, that I disagreed with some of their opinions. The tortoises were all housed appropriately for a quick show and all had acceptable foods items to eat.

One of my favorites at the show were these three Burmese stars.
fcpf5t.jpg

2zyvsp0.jpg

2yws2hl.jpg

This species is so rare and precious and to get to see them in person and talk to their owner was a treat. Turns out I already knew the mans wife... Small world.

Didn't get pics, but I gained some insight into the russian breeding mystery. One lady with experience producing russian hatchlings had a great explanation for why some people have success and some don't. "You have to make them happy.", she said. Seriously, this little tidbit really does explain a lot. Possibly about some other species too, like the giants...

The BEST part of the whole show, BY FAR, was our own Heather (Team Gomberg). She set up a totally professional looking booth, complete with visual aids, notebooks with extensive pics demonstrating pyramided vs. non-pyramided leopards, how to set up indoor and outdoor enclosures, and of course the best visual aid and point-prover of all, her very own smooth shelled, well raised leopard tortoise. She was passing out TFO cards and singing the praises of our online tortoise community here, and she was fielding questions and explaining things in a most eloquent way. I stood to the side listening and I just couldn't stop smiling. I (WE) owe her a debt of gratitude for her volunteer service to the tortoise world today. She reached a lot of people with her calm, professional demeanor, clear concise explanations and demonstrations, and her exceptionally well put together display. She spent a lot of time and effort putting together that display and it was VERY well done. Thank you Heather. Thank you a thousand times. GREAT JOB!!!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Bravo Heather! Please join me in a big round of applause for Heather and her great work on behalf of our shelled buddies!
Thank you Heather and thank you Tom for sharing about this CTTC show : )

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Yay for Heather!!! I'm so sad I couldn't be there - but I sent my other half to take in some of my turtles/tortoises. I hope he did alright!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would have liked to see pictures of Heather's booth, but thanks, Heather, for your hard work for the tortoise world. I know from experience that setting up a display at a show, manning it all day long and fielding questions and comments is a very tiresome experience. I appreciate your hard work.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
It really was my pleasure to do this. :)

Thank you everyone for the compliments and encouragement.

Tom, you started all of this. I'm just applying what I learned from your experiments and passing it on.

You got some great pictures of my table and can post any "faceless" ones here ;)

Glad you were able to make it and that you enjoyed the show. Lets hope the OC show goes just as wonderfully!

Btw kimber, your hubby did good too and also passed out TFO cards :)

Heather
sent while on my purple android TFOapp

n3rdchik

5 Year Member
Michigan
I wish I had a CTTC branch in my neck of the wood.

~Marka
3.0.0 offspring
2.2 nieces and nephews
1.0.0 leopard tortoise "Rumple"
0.0.1 cherry head redfoot arriving soon

Status
Not open for further replies.