chips on chips on chips

kirbytherussian

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

Leo my Russian is as adventurous as any. Since day one five years ago, he's always had chips on his shell from romping around and exploring things. I know they aren't a problem except cosmetically, however I was wondering if there's any way to promote healing and make them heal faster? Perhaps an ointment, or change in diet? He has one chip on his shell that took what must have been a couple years to heal and return to normal color.

Enjoy this picture of him sleeping standing up- I brought him inside for shelter from hurricane Dorian and he protested so much he fell asleep in the position he was in while trying to escape .

It showcases the prominent chips he's acquired, and you can see the difference between the chip on the top of his shell (almost completely healed), the left side (on it's way to healing), and the right (almost fresh; a month or two)

upload_2019-9-20_21-20-22.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've seen a lot of tortoises in my day, and for sure, Russians are the ones who look the most beat up. Your little guy is very cute!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
The chips that are clearly white have probably gone down to the bone; the keratin won’t grow back on them. The other chip didn’t go down to the bone; it may look healthier/healing as the injured layer flakes off but it’s unlikely to get entirely smooth. Or at least not for some time.

I think of the chip on my tortoise as an identifying mark. If anyone ever claims to be her owner, I’ll have photographic proof she’s mine! :)