choices...choices

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Hibernating is a choice. You CAN hibernate many species of tortoises, or maybe you don't want to. IMHO, there really aren't (correct me if I'm wrong:D ) benefits OR side affects of hibernation.
Russians CAN hibernate, but they do not need to.

sam776677

Oh,so there is no species of tortoise which has to hibernate,what if the tortoise wants to hibernate but you dont know what to do.

sam776677

Do tortoises need any ventinary attention or visits and do they need any vaccinations?

Tgordon600

I would say a red eared slider for a turtle and a russian tortoise for the tortoise. Both are great for beginners. Have fun with whatever you pick!

sam776677

Do tortoises need any trips to the vet and how much does it cost for a usuall check up?

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Do tortoises need any trips to the vet and how much does it cost for a usuall check up?
it depends on the vet. and the reason. some people do checkups some dont.
My vet is $50 for an exam $15 for a fecal check ( this checks for worms). this would be the same at my vet for a turtle.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
In the wild even a small species like a russian (I can't speak for the rest) puts on many miles. They trek to find food, sun, shade, protection, etc. They burrow, they climb and they explore. Putting one in a tank for the rest of its very long life is pretty much the same as me suggesting that you spend the rest of your life in your bathroom.

Not being snarky, just the best comparison I can think of.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
If you have an aquatic turtle, rather than a heavy expensive glass aquarium, use a stick tank or a preformed pond. The filter will cost you a fair bit, and it's necessary. You'll also need a basking spot with UVB bulb, again not cheap, every year

kdub

Clearwater, FL
My advice is to do lots of research. I researched for several months while deciding. Meantime, you can save up more money. Getting your basic set up ready takes money and time. BEFORE you adopt or purchase have your set up ready. Test everything to make sure your temps and humidity are correct, it may take several days or a week to work out the kinks. The last thing you want is to bring a new animal into a new environment that is not ideal. When you're ready to get your new pet make sure you have enough savings for unforeseen circumstances such as buying additional items needed for a proper enclosure, vet bills, and enough to spend each week for a varied diet especially if it's too cold to footage for wild weeds where you live. My last bit of advice is to be patient: what you are about to embark on may very well be a lifelong commitment so don't make hasty decisions.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
With some species the mail tortoise is smaller than the female. This is true with Russians. it may also be true with the other Mediterranean species like Hermans and Greeks. Another option for you may be a box turtle. they spend a lot of time on land but do like some water. if your tortoise or turtle will be inside most of the year your costs are going to be more. this is because you will have to have a large enclosure with proper lighting to provide heat and UVB.
If the only enclosure you're going to be able to provide is an aquarium, maybe you should look into a different kind of pet. geckos, different kinds of lizards etc. can do well in an aquarium.
I would recommend that you go to the species specific section here on the forum and look up different types of tortoises and turtles. you could also go to the section that discusses other types of animals for information on geckos lizards etc.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
For the record, musk turtles don't musk once they have acclimated to the interaction with the owner. I had one for about 8 years and never smelled it after the first day.

sam776677

Ok,thanks For the info I thought that they did it every time they get scared or threatened how are musk turtles for first time pets and how bad does it smell once theyve musked?

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Ok,thanks For the info I thought that they did it every time they get scared or threatened how are musk turtles for first time pets and how bad does it smell once theyve musked?

It's not pleasant but they get past the nervous stage rather quickly. The are very interesting to observe and become interactive very quickly. They are rather durable in terms of husbandry and do not require nearly as regimented and carefully controlled habitat as tropical species - which most tortoises and many turtles do.