choices...choices

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
What they are tying to say is that its not the tank...It's the size that a tank generally is.
You'd need an 8' by 8' aquarium, even for a small adult.
See the issue?
Small turtles can be kept in an aquarium if there is an area to climb out and get some sunlight.
They require special filters. They generate a lot of waste.
Do you have any area outdoors that you could set something up?

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Hi Sam. Can you tell us about yourself. Both turtles and tortoises require many things. What is your budget. What kind of space do you have inside to house them? I am in ohio and it is very cold. I am getting a baby and he will be in a 50 gallon tank. But this is only for his first one or two years. Tortoises need lights, substrate, feeding and water dishes, a hide.... Turtles need, filters, lights, a dry area and a wet area. I am so sure I am missing things but these are the basics. And then there is food for them. The testudo tortoises ( the smaller ones like russians and hermanns) are vegetarian and eat only plants. Turtles eat a variety of things.
With good care and cleaning neither should stink. My tortoise tank has a natural dirt smell. I am so glad that you are asking questions before you buy anything. We can help you every step of the way. Good luck with this. and Welcome to the forum :)

sam776677

My budget is...well im looking to get two of a certain breed so one female one male so that the other doesnt get lonely so my budget is around £50 each for the turtle or tortoise my space avaliable is a small room but i will be making space if this all goes well.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
My budget is...well im looking to get two of a certain breed so one female one male so that the other doesnt get lonely so my budget is around £50 each for the turtle or tortoise my space avaliable is a small room but i will be making space if this all goes well.
it is not a good idea to get 2. They do not get lonely. If you get one male and one female and they are sexually mature the male will not leave the female alone. there are post where the female was so harassed that she she was left injured. I would spend the money on getting one and a good set up. But this is my opinion. What kinds are you looking at? I would read the care sheets on each.

sam776677

ok,thanks,thats why i joined the forum i want to find out about preferably a tortoise or maybe a turtle that doesnt grow to be big ,stays small and doesnt hibernate.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
ok,thanks,thats why i joined the forum i want to find out about preferably a tortoise or maybe a turtle that doesnt grow to be big ,stays small and doesnt hibernate.
I think a good choice for you is a russian. They stay small and are normally easy to take care of. But again this is my opinion. A baby could stay in a tank. You would need a 4foot by 8 food by 18 inches deep for an adult. Making a table is cheaper than buying anything premade. also cheaper than a tank. I am so glad you are asking here first. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sam:

Tortoises are territorial and prefer to be the only tortoise in their territory. They fight when another tortoise comes into their territory.

sam776677

Is there anytging better and smaler than a russian tortoise and how long do they live for in captivity?

Heather H

N.E. ohio
With a tortoise it depends on the age. a baby needs heat and humidity. these are easier to achieve with a closed setup which can be done with with a glass enclosure or a plastic tote. I personally like a glass enclosure because I don't have to keep opening it to check on the tortoise. For an adult you can use plastic or wood. If would be what you prefer. With wood you have to either line it with plastic or use something to make it waterproof. with plastic you can expand as needed by adding more totes.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Welcome!
Turtles and tortoises are both great beginners, but for you, it sounds like either could be a great choice.
Certain tortoise species may stay small, but they like to wander. An adult male russian needs around 4x8' of space inside, and if you could provide him with an outdoor habitat even larger, that would be great.
Russians are great, but they need a lot of room. They are very territorial, and I don't think groups would fit your desires.
It depends on which turtle you get, but they need a lot of space, as well. As ZEROPILOT has pointed out, turtles are messy messy messy and require expensive filtration and (depending on your turtle!) big, and a little more 'complicated' housing.
There are a lot of homeless turtles right now, so be careful who you pair up. Turtles are not exempt from aggression, either.
I'm not trying to steer you off, but buying tortoises is not cheap, and neither is keeping them. Depending (again) on the turtle size, that can get pricey too. :)

sam776677

Heyy guys,could you please tell me the name of a small tortoise that does not need to hibernate?