choices...choices

sam776677

Hi,
I'm looking to buy either a tortoise or turtle,I'm looking for one that doesn't exceed the length of about 12cm and doesn't release any unpleasent odours i.e not the musk turtle,also not too expensive and good for begginers, could you please help me with this matter,thanks.

Killerrookie

The average size is 4 inches to 7 inches and are very easy to take care of!!

sam776677

Oh,ok thanks,what about tortoises do you have any good ideas for ones that stay small and are good for beginners?

Killerrookie

Your welcome and before you get one make sure you do your research!!!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
I would pick box turtles (ornates or 3 toes over red ears). I can't tell you about torts because mine will get very big.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!

Research is very important here. Good luck and whatever tortoise you pick I can assure you that they're wonderful pets.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
No species is cheap to keep unless they are outdoors and self sufficient. That takes a suitable climate. They don't smell with the proper set up and care.

Your question is so open it's hard to advise. Can you provide outdoor habitat? What's your climate (where do you live?)

Easier to help you decide between a few choices than to tell you which to get.

sam776677

I live in a cold climate,im looking for a turtle or tortoise that will fit in a tank.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
No tortoise should be kept indefinitely in a tank. I don't know about turtles. Russian tortoises stay fairly small, but need an enclosure that is 4 feet by 8 feet at a minimum.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Yes. To tortoise shall stay in a tank even you have a 40 or even 75 gallon tank. Of cause, when you having a hatchling for the first year or two, a 75 gallons tank may be OK. Tortoise need to have a Tortoise table indoor and outdoor enclosure.

Welcome to the forum. Good to have you here.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
An adult tortoise can't be kept in a tank. Even the small ones. They need more space then that. When they're babies a tank, large one, can be ok. They will out grow it quickly and need something bigger.

sam776677

What if you get a turtle or tortoise that stays small,would that be ok,would them living in a tank effect their life span or make them develop illnesses?