Clear, bubbly nose drainage

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
I have a 1 yr old sulcata. From Tues night thru thur he was lost outside. Found on Friday. The whole event is on another thread. Today I measured and weighed him. He gained 25 grams in 10 days. When I put his head against a flat surface he hissed pulled into his shell. After marking the paper and looked at him he had clear bubbly snot coming out of the nose. The 3 night's were in the low 70's days mid 90's. The last night it rained most of the time. Last night hold was mid 80's hum. 75 Today he is eating normal and basking at 100. Any help would be appreciated

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
He likely has a respiratory infection. Keep the entire enclosure above 85 degrees, with a 105 basking spot. You may have to use a smaller “hospital enclosure”. Keep it with 80+% humidity.

Some people have had success with mucus draining, by soaking for 20-30 minutes, and then picking up the tortoise, leaning it forward so that it’s gear is tilted towards the ground, and letting the snot drip out.

More members will likely give other suggestions :)

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
He likely has a respiratory infection. Keep the entire enclosure above 85 degrees, with a 105 basking spot. You may have to use a smaller “hospital enclosure”. Keep it with 80+% humidity.

Some people have had success with mucus draining, by soaking for 20-30 minutes, and then picking up the tortoise, leaning it forward so that it’s gear is tilted towards the ground, and letting the snot drip out.

Thanks will give it a try. Should I think about taking to a vet. I have researched and found what seems the best vet for torts in my area

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If the discharge is clear, I wouldn't go to a vet. Keep the tortoise no lower than 85 degree 24/7 for at least two weeks after symptoms disappear. Soak once or twice every day in warm water to keep the tortoise hydrated with the extra heat. Do not let the soak water get cool.

75 today is too cool. 85 minimum day or night, and low to mid 90s as an ambient during the day will help knock this out.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
If the discharge is clear, I wouldn't go to a vet. Keep the tortoise no lower than 85 degree 24/7 for at least two weeks after symptoms disappear. Soak once or twice every day in warm water to keep the tortoise hydrated with the extra heat. Do not let the soak water get cool.

75 today is too cool. 85 minimum day or night, and low to mid 90s as an ambient during the day will help knock this out.
I didn't explain myself well. I meant to say temp was mid 80's and humidity 75. My bad. Soak for 30 min. and tried tipping to drain with no luck. Soaked the hold and stirred up the bedding holding 99%humidity but I will have to keep a eye on it. 92 degrees temp. Here is a pic of the hold. Thought I was doing right by enclosing but just recently read a post I think from you saying the lighting and heating should be enclosed also to stop the chimney effect. But Opo's about to grow out of that so I will build something with more height. Saw a lot of good ideas here 20180609_174921.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thanks, I will keep Opo warm. Should he stay in the hold or can I take him out to graze for awhile?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I didn't explain myself well. I meant to say temp was mid 80's and humidity 75. My bad. Soak for 30 min. and tried tipping to drain with no luck. Soaked the hold and stirred up the bedding holding 99%humidity but I will have to keep a eye on it. 92 degrees temp. Here is a pic of the hold. Thought I was doing right by enclosing but just recently read a post I think from you saying the lighting and heating should be enclosed also to stop the chimney effect. But Opo's about to grow out of that so I will build something with more height. Saw a lot of good ideas here View attachment 241438
Meant to say 88% not 99l

Bee62

Germany
Thanks saw a couple of vets closer to me. Will give them a call Monday and see if they handle sullies. For now I will keep him warm and soaks
I am @Tom `s opinion and he is much more experienced with sulcatas like some VETS ...
As long as Opo eats well, act normally and poops and pees, safe your money and don`t drive to a VET.
Bump up the warmth and humidity and watch Opo well for a week or two. He should be back to normal again then.
When he gets antibiotics from a VET he might stop eating and you have more problems then.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I'd think if it's warm enough outside some supervised grazing wouldn't be a bad thing. I'd like to hear some more opinions though
SUPERVISED is the key word lol. Since I depend on my wife to chase him down. I have a paintball gun if a hawk gets to close. Haven't had to use it but I am sure Florida Wild and Game wouldn't be happy. When I see the hawks circling I get my wife. Getting a large wheeled walker so I can put my leg on and follow him around.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
LOL [emoji846] how much land do you have for Opo? I think Tom has some designs for outdoor enclosures made of blocks with a hardware cloth screen covering, to protect from predators and escape. I wonder if something like that could help you with keeping Opo out of trouble [emoji6]

Bee62

Germany
SUPERVISED is the key word lol. Since I depend on my wife to chase him down. I have a paintball gun if a hawk gets to close. Haven't had to use it but I am sure Florida Wild and Game wouldn't be happy. When I see the hawks circling I get my wife. Getting a large wheeled walker so I can put my leg on and follow him around.
I would build a simple but safe outdoor enclosure with a wire mesh to cover it. Maybe your neighbour can help you ?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
LOL [emoji846] how much land do you have for Opo? I think Tom has some designs for outdoor enclosures made of blocks with a hardware cloth screen covering, to protect from predators and escape. I wonder if something like that could help you with keeping Opo out of trouble [emoji6]

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I have been looking on this site for some ideas. Since he has taken over the screen porch when I let him out there. I am thinking of something he can access from there go thru a opening with a curtain on to the enclosure outside. And maybe an access out of his hold onto the screen porch. Opo knows where the door is on the screen porch. He scratches at it when he wants to graze. And scratches when he wants out of the hold. He might be able to figure that all out. My thinking is when I build the enclosure outside he will probably want out of that. My back yard is 55 ft by 125 ft. Trying to buy the lot next door but owner doesn't want to sell yet

Brian Perry

I have a 1 yr old sulcata. From Tues night thru thur he was lost outside. Found on Friday. The whole event is on another thread. Today I measured and weighed him. He gained 25 grams in 10 days. When I put his head against a flat surface he hissed pulled into his shell. After marking the paper and looked at him he had clear bubbly snot coming out of the nose. The 3 night's were in the low 70's days mid 90's. The last night it rained most of the time. Last night hold was mid 80's hum. 75 Today he is eating normal and basking at 100. Any help would be appreciated

People immediately conclude that the tortoise has a respiratory infection...and sometimes they do. However, the low 70s are not inordinately low. Although, rain and a low temp are generally not a good combination. I have had Indian Stars exhibing bubbly noses for years. It comes and goes, without any obvious causative factor. It has been my experience that when tortoises are sick, the first they do is stop eating. Most of the time, they plummet downward rapidly and do not recover. Keep him warm and it will probably gradually go away. If he stops eating, assume you have a problem.