Close encounter with a snake... should a snake be killed if found within a tortoise enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICUSleeping

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Casselberry
Please note: A copy of this thread was placed into this section, so those of us who want to debate IF a snake should be killed simply for being found in a tortoise's enclosure or not.

The other night i had a dream that a snake got to my lil zeus outside. I told my husband about it and he just brushed me off saying he'll be ok. Well last night i let zeus spend the night for the first time outside he has a strong net like covering the top of his habitat. Worried that something might happen to him i ask my husband is it a good idea he told me he'll be fine nothing can get to him. So today in this beautiful florida weather its raining and sunny i figured zeus is having a blast. I go to check on him and i hear something to my right i look and its a SNAKE!!! I screamed for my husband he went and got the shovel. He ask's me Wheres Zeus? ...I say in his burrow... wheres the snake? ....Going under the net RIGHT BEHIND zeus's BURROW!!! I jump under the net stick my hand in his burrow and grab him. My husband screaming WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOUR CRAZY! You could of got bit. I didnt care i wasnt going to let the snake get zeus ... My husband beheads the snake and it wasnt poisonous But now i know its time to change his enclousre. No more wandering jew. No more net. Lesson learned

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
RE: Close incouter with a snake

THAT is called love! That you would jump infront of a snake not knowing if it was posionous or not. Again, THAT is called LOVE!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Close encounter with a snake

I really doubt a snake would eat a tortoise. I think that they see heat, and mammals give off more heat than reptiles.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

:( you killed the snake?

ICUSleeping

5 Year Member
Casselberry

We had too..We didnt know if it was poisonous or not. We have a 2 year old, Cat and dog and zeus
Jacqui said:
:( you killed the snake?

The snake was WAY bigger then my little 4in 7mnt old tort. Iv seen large snakes eat just about anything they can swallow. Zeus habitat is full of small and large frogs that kept disappearing. Now we know it was the snake eatting them. So im sure it was a matter of time before he would of tryed zeus.
emysemys said:
I really doubt a snake would eat a tortoise. I think that they see heat, and mammals give off more heat than reptiles.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal

emysemys said:

Except in Florida where the heat register on the carapace can reach more than 100F ;) But, no! I doubt even a Burmese...a Florida native, you know :D would try to eat a tortoise! Alligator, yes! Tortoise? Doubtful!

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC

I'm sorry but in my opinion you shouldn't have killed that snake. Snakes are more afraid of us and you could have just removed it and released it somewhere else.
Plus, a snake isn't going to eat your Tortoise.

acrantophis

5 Year Member

What a tragedy that you killed a snake. No snake is poisonous they are venomous. Things like mushrooms are poisonous, things that deploy a toxin are venomous. Please learn how to deal with them without killing them. It's very simple. A long stick and a little prodding can coax most snakes to just move along. It pains me to think of all the snakes beheaded by a shovel and a misguided individual.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri

I think you did fine killing the snake, not everything can live forever, expecially a snake in your yard. lol Now another wild animal will have food without having to fight for it. Do all you people freak out on someone else when they kill a spider? Im sure you do. Or how many people have set mouse traps and kill a mouse? SHAME ON YOU. and last i knew venom , is being posioned.

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA

I think that if you would have just found it wandering your yard you shouldn't have killed it. But if you were scared for your tortoises safety I definitely understand where you came from. I think everyone is being a little too mean and judgmental...

Creedence

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA

Ruchonnet said:
I think that if you would have just found it wandering your yard you shouldn't have killed it. But if you were scared for your tortoises safety I definitely understand where you came from. I think everyone is being a little too mean and judgmental...

Agreed.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA

The only native snake in FL that would eat a tortoise is an indigo snake. If you killed an indigo snake, that could be a problem.

It is advisable to learn to identify the snakes living in your area, particularly the venomous ones. Although it is unlikely you would ever suffer envenomation from a snakebite, it behooves you to know which snakes are cause for additional caution.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!

Wow, you were definitely brave to grab a snake without having any idea if it was venomous or not. Now that you know such a snake is not a threat, if you ever encounter another one like that, you can let it go. :)

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC

SulcataSquirt said:
I think you did fine killing the snake, not everything can live forever, expecially a snake in your yard. lol Now another wild animal will have food without having to fight for it. Do all you people freak out on someone else when they kill a spider? Im sure you do. Or how many people have set mouse traps and kill a mouse? SHAME ON YOU. and last i knew venom , is being posioned.

I don't kill Spiders, I release them. If I were to ever set a trap for a mouse or rat it would be a live trap and then the animal would be released outside.
ANY misguided killing of an animal is wrong. She didn't know what kind of snake it was. What if it was endangered or protected?

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma

I don't know if I would have killed the snake. I might have. I have seven children and while I like snakes, I don't know which ones are poisonous and which ones are not. I think that if it is on your property and you are scared for the life of someone or something that you are responsible for then you have to do what you think is best. She was protecting her tortoise, who on this forum would not have protected their tortoise? She did not do it the way you would have but she did the best she could at the time. I don't see anything wrong with it. Besides, not everyone is a snake person. I only like ones that are not going to inject their venom in me. I don't think that is wrong. I think it is more sad when I drive down the highway in the spring and summer and see dead, squashed turtles and box turtles on the side of the road because people are not looking out for them and run them over. I just think that we should keep in mind that ICU Sleeping was doing her best to keep her tortoise baby from danger. I don't see anything wrong with that.:)

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC

lovelyrosepetal said:
I don't know if I would have killed the snake. I might have. I have seven children and while I like snakes, I don't know which ones are poisonous and which ones are not. I think that if it is on your property and you are scared for the life of someone or something that you are responsible for then you have to do what you think is best. She was protecting her tortoise, who on this forum would not have protected their tortoise? She did not do it the way you would have but she did the best she could at the time. I don't see anything wrong with it. Besides, not everyone is a snake person. I only like ones that are not going to inject their venom in me. I don't think that is wrong. I think it is more sad when I drive down the highway in the spring and summer and see dead, squashed turtles and box turtles on the side of the road because people are not looking out for them and run them over. I just think that we should keep in mind that ICU Sleeping was doing her best to keep her tortoise baby from danger. I don't see anything wrong with that.:)

This is true, I would have done anything to protect my baby too. I wouldn't have killed the snake though. I would have found a broom or something and shoo'd it away and then grabbed the Tortoise.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska

acrantophis said:
What a tragedy that you killed a snake. No snake is poisonous they are venomous. Things like mushrooms are poisonous, things that deploy a toxin are venomous. Please learn how to deal with them without killing them. It's very simple. A long stick and a little prodding can coax most snakes to just move along. It pains me to think of all the snakes beheaded by a shovel and a misguided individual.

I agree with the not killing snakes bit- although I also understand human fears and emotions.

My thought with this post, though, is that there are specific meanings for the terms poison, venom, and toxin. Poisons are the large class of materials that in sufficient doses injure, sicken, or kill organisms.

Toxins are naturally occurring poisons, and venoms are toxins that are administered through bites or stings, usually as a protective or hunting measure. Certainly, the word 'poison' is also used to describe the ingestion or absorption of some form of poison, but that is more appropriate when the word is used as a verb than as a noun.

If something, like a snake, is venomous, it is ALSO, by ANY definition of the word 'poisonous'. In fact, if it is not poisonous, it cannot be venomous.

Calling a snake 'venomous' is a more precise and accurate usage- but 'poisonous' is not wrong in any way, shape, or form. A quick 'googling' of 'poisonous snake' shows many reputable and even scientific sites using the term.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ

I agree that killing snakes or other living things is bad. However, I have a rule for these things. For us the main problem is scorpions in the house. My "understanding" with them is that they can live in peace with me OUTSIDE! If they come inside (I don't care if they are looking for heat or whatever) they must die. Putting them back outside just allows them to come right back in. When I lived out in the desert years back with my Aunt and Uncle (try had 5 acres that backed up to state land way back in dirt roads) if we found a rattler that was not being super aggressive and were able to pin it to do a "catch and release" we did. However, if it was hanging out around the dogs or horse or would not scare off they would kill it. Most of the time we didn't have to do this. But there was once or twice when they felt there was no other safe option for their pets. A snake in my tort pen? Well, it would have to go! Especially if you suspected it has been using your frogs as a Buffett! It had become accustomed to easy pray and heat and would only try to return to someone's back yard instead of living out in it's environment.

taytay3391

5 Year Member
Iowa, USA

KTyne said:
I don't kill Spiders, I release them. If I were to ever set a trap for a mouse or rat it would be a live trap and then the animal would be released outside.
ANY misguided killing of an animal is wrong. She didn't know what kind of snake it was. What if it was endangered or protected?

Jeez! You did fine! Someone or something would have killed the snake anyway. CIRCLE OF LIFE, EVERYTHING DIES.

Are you a vegan?

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana

ICUSleeping, you're not the only one who would have killed the snake especially because you have a 2 year old….I have no idea which snakes are poisonous, venomous or whatever you want to call it, all I know that if I'm bitten by the wrong one I could very well die, so if any decide to come in my yard, IT'S A GONNER FOR SURE!!!!!! I just can't see myself memorizing the difference between one snake and another nor do I see myself googling it real quick either and I'm certainly not gonna let it hang around my house if I can help it. So the lesson I learned today was if or when it happens to me, I won't post it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.