Coco coir

musiclover18

Location (City and/or State)
ontario
I’m wondering if it’s better to buy coco coir in the brink form or with it already loose? For my redfoot tortoise

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If you need a lot, the block form is usually cheaper/easier.

If a bag or two of the loose coir is enough for your purposes, then the convenience of it might be worth the extra cost.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
How large is your Redfoot and the enclosure?
I prefer Orchid bark over the coco coir stuff. For both humidity control, odor and ease of spot cleaning.
Home Depot sells two different sized bags of pure Orchid bark. And it's inexpensive and long lasting. (Buy the bag that says POTTING MEDIA and not the bag that says POTTING MIX)
Either will work. Bark or Coir. But compare the two. You may end up liking the bark better also.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230626_153209_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230626_153209_Samsung Internet.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 6

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m wondering if it’s better to buy coco coir in the brink form or with it already loose? For my redfoot tortoise
I agree with ZEROPILOT. I wouldn't use coco coir for a red foot. Orchid bark will work much better.

RF are prone to shell rot infections. They need high humidity, but wet substrate will cause shell rot. A 3-4 inch thick layer of orchid bark in a closed chamber can be kept dry on top, but the lower layers will stay damp to keep humidity up.