Coco coir?

Your favorite substrate?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vampire5003

5 Year Member
I wanted to ask how to make coco coir not get all over my tortoise? He looks like he just took a mud bath. I also don't like how it get's in his water bowl. I would do cypress mulch but I am afraid my tort will try to eat it just like my other's attempt to.

Thanks, Margaret

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
I have the same problem with the cocoa coir and the water dish. It is a pain but I have just gotten used to cleaning and re-filling the water dishes. My dishes are huge and heavy, if I figure out a solution I'll tell you:).

vampire5003

5 Year Member
CtTortoiseMom said:
I have the same problem with the cocoa coir and the water dish. It is a pain but I have just gotten used to cleaning and re-filling the water dishes. My dishes are huge and heavy, if I figure out a solution I'll tell you:).

Thanks for the quick reply. I am hoping someone on the forum might have a solution.

jrholls

5 Year Member
Maine
I used a mix of 50/50 choir and sand. worked ok. Recently switched to 50/50 choir and organic topsoil....I like it better, it doesn't seem to stick to our tort as much.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Are you using the coir by itself or mixing it with something like sand? How damp is it. Did you happen to pat it down a bit, when you were finished adding it to the enclosure?

Might try placing small rocks around the edge of water and feed dishes, then they don't track it so much.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I used to use coir mixed with sand, but I found the sand to be irritating to my hatchling.
I use plain organic top soil now, and am very happy with it. I mixed it with coir at one point and was happy with that also. And more importantly, my tort likes it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.