Epic fail...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvmyGreenSon

5 Year Member
Well I've read a lot of good things about coco coir and so I figured well I'll try it... Yeah well it didn't turn out well. Instead Guido (my tort) decided to go from his water bowl into the new coco coir and now he is a walking pile of coco coir. I didn't buy the bricks but instead the bag of pre- made stuff from petco. Idk what else to try now. Should I have mixed it with sand like other people suggest?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
LOL....you can mix in good ole clean yard dirt and or organic soil and that will aid you in having the ability to pack it down...however until then you can lightly press the coir down with your hand to make is a bit more solid.....:D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yes, you can indeed add sand (it's what I personally use). You can also add soil or mulch even. ;) :D

I have never tried the bag coir myself, but recall trying it once in my garden and that it was a waste. :rolleyes:

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
I think it's hilarious when they get covered on it. My Russian doesn't seem to mind. I've tried both the bag and the brick and he gets caked in coir no matter what. He also loves to get in his water bowl, then walk all over the coir, and then go back into his water bowl and just fill it with coir.
So far I have a perfectly healthy little RT so I don't really see the problem.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I pack it down with my hand. They still track it in the water bowl, but it doesn't stick to them a whole lot.

LuvmyGreenSon

5 Year Member
Okay thanks I am going to try and mix it with some sand from my backyard. My little guy just looked stressed out to be covered coco coir. Ha ha.

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
Just mix it and pack it down a little, he'll still get some on him but it won't be as bad.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Yea I had the same problem, I finally gave up and use Cypress Mulch as a top layer. I have about 4" of "Soil" it's mixed substrates, coir, organic top soil, yard dirt, it's really a combination of other attempts. I than cover that with an inch or two of cypress mulch. That way I can add plants to the soil along with worms but I have a top layer that can be stirred or removed and replaced as needed and the Torts stay clean the water does get mulch in it but I find the amount depends on how messy the tort is and how much they like to make messes. The Torts stay clean with this setup, in the hides I use only mulch so when they burrow they stay clean also.

Status
Not open for further replies.