coconut coir

phebe121

How deep should it be i have some in there now it covers the bottom of the enclosure and when its wet it seems deeper i keep about 1/3 of it wet for humidity

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't use coir, but my rule of thumb for substrate is about 4 or 5 inches deep. And I moisten the whole thing, not just a portion of it.

phebe121

Ty its only about 1/2 inch right now i have more bricks ill add more now

phebe121

Well i think i may have added to much its now like 7 inchs but it should be fun to see if they dig and hide now

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
My coir is 5'' in most p[laces, but the area where my russian sleeps is deeper, because he enjoys digging.
All of it should be moist, to better hold the tumidity! :D

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Well i think i may have added to much its now like 7 inchs but it should be fun to see if they dig and hide now
What kind of tortoise do you have? I'm sorry but I can't see the avatar well enough to tell. I don't think there's any such thing as too deep when it comes to Russians :) I have mine at least 4 to 6 inches deep throughout the enclosure, I pour water into it and then stir it around with my hands to get it moist all the way through. The top will dry out but the rest of it will stay moist underneath. Never let it get dusty though. And then you can pad it down with your hands to make it easier to walk on.

phebe121

I have leopards doesnt it having it wet all the time what gives them shell rot

phebe121

Ok well its wet right now cuz i added all that coconut coir but should dry out fast in there

phebe121

I put a nice big rock in there to they had that little one but i figerd since more coconut coir they couldnt fall off this large rock now it weights like 15 lbs

Attachments

• CAM00864.jpg
    CAM00864.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • CAM00865.jpg
    CAM00865.jpg
    932.5 KB · Views: 18

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Ok well its wet right now cuz i added all that coconut coir but should dry out fast in there
When I first make it, I add the water to the bricks and then wait and then, one handful at a time so it takes a while, I squeeze the excess water out of it.and then I pour the water on my plants :) but if you added it in their wet just stirred around with the other dryer stuff and yes it will dry out. No big deal.

phebe121

Ya i stir it everyday,clean cuz there little piggies with there food