Coconut oil

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Scientific paper: The Structure and Mechanical Properties of Turtle Shell and Biomimetic

Nobody said UVB was absorbed through the shell.

And I stand by what I said about a tortoise being an animal not being a piece of furniture too.
The pores referred to in this article is the pores of the bone - and they are talking about the added strength that structure adds to the overall shell. This article refers to teh "two layers" of the shell. And they are talking about the scutes and bone. Technically there are three layers as a thin epidural layer separates the bone from the scute. The outer layer - the keratin (outer layer) is not porus. This keratin layer protects the bone. So from the outside, a tortoise's shell is not porus and oil cannot clog any pores. There is a fold in the epidural layer that occurs at the scute seams. This is where the new keratin is generated. With active growth this area becomes less protected as the very new keratin forming can appear white. It seems oil here does help keep it moist and supple and keep it from drying too quickly.

In talking about coconut oil, there have been several posts where people have wondered about blocking the UVB to the shell. Thought this was a good opportunity to mention that.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
@Ray--Opo I NEVER condoned the use of any oil, etc for tortoise shells. However, I did try a vinegar solution to clean MONSTRO!'s carapace...it looked a little faded after...so I applied coconut oil to his shell with a rag and let it sit for five or ten minutes...then buffed it with a microfiber rag! This is him (almost) a month later!IMG_5349.JPG

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
@Ray--Opo I NEVER condoned the use of any oil, etc for tortoise shells. However, I did try a vinegar solution to clean MONSTRO!'s carapace...it looked a little faded after...so I applied coconut oil to his shell with a rag and let it sit for five or ten minutes...then buffed it with a microfiber rag! This is him (almost) a month later!View attachment 261812
A handsome fellow indeed!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
@Ray--Opo I NEVER condoned the use of any oil, etc for tortoise shells. However, I did try a vinegar solution to clean MONSTRO!'s carapace...it looked a little faded after...so I applied coconut oil to his shell with a rag and let it sit for five or ten minutes...then buffed it with a microfiber rag! This is him (almost) a month later!View attachment 261812
Thanks Dean for the info. Beautiful sully I cant wait for Opo getting big and looking majestic

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Markw84- thank you for pointing out that the shell is a layer of keratin over the bone. We mammals tend to treat every other animal like a mammal and that gets us in trouble. A BIG difference between mammals and reptiles is how the skin works. Reptile skin is completely waterproof- no sweat glands, no 'breathing through the skin', no absorption of liquids, etc.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
A tortoise’s shell is covered in fine pores. Any sort of oil will clog these. I personally would never rub oil into a tortoise’s shell... I prefer to enjoy them in their natural state. They are animals, not a piece of furniture

oh, I like that.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
A tortoise’s shell is covered in fine pores. Any sort of oil will clog these. I personally would never rub oil into a tortoise’s shell... I prefer to enjoy them in their natural state. They are animals, not a piece of furniture
Actually, I believe coconut oil is the exception to the rule...again...as long as it's not slathered on...literally, rub on and rub off! Leaves a nice shenn with no residue. Of course, we can always discuss the so-called antifungal, antibacterial properties of coconut oil and why it can be viewed as the exception to the rule!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I plan on applying coconut oil to my new hatchlings shell twice a week to see if this helps with Pyramiding. She hatched Xmas Eve and yesterday I applied the first application.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I plan on applying coconut oil to my new hatchlings shell twice a week to see if this helps with Pyramiding. She hatched Xmas Eve and yesterday I applied the first application.
No...even once a month would be an extreme! And for a hatchling...maybe go with Yvonne's methods of painting the growth line...but no more than every month or two!! Oil is going to do nothing to prevent pyramiding if your husbandry techniques are wrong!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
No...even once a month would be an extreme! And for a hatchling...maybe go with Yvonne's methods of painting the growth line...but no more than every month or two!! Oil is going to do nothing to prevent pyramiding if your husbandry techniques are wrong!
Twice a week probably is too much. I do it twice a month with my other Tort and have had great results. Even though I didn't quite get him as a hatchling. (Some people say they will only pyramid in the first year or two, some people say they'll pyramid at any stage of growth if not kept right). He was 3.5" when I got him and about 350 grams. 20180106_101838 (1).jpg A year later and he's at 6.5" and 1000 grams, and perfectly smooth. IMG_20190115_184226188.jpgHonestly, and I'll probably get ripped on for it, but keeping him in high humidity is not something I've worried about. I do understand though there's a big difference between a hatchling and an older Tort but I can't help but be curious. Before I try it though are there possible risks of using coconut oil on a hatchling and what would they be?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I use a mix of coconut, almond, and olive oils with Darwin once a week ... his shell looks great and seems to be growing nicely.

I haven't seen any research with contraindications for oils on tortoise carapaces, just vague and sometimes dire warnings about cell suffocation and UV-blocking ....

Jamie

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm back, it's been more than a year and I've applied coconut oil twice a month since posting this. I've had great results. I can't say it's entirely the coconut oil but I tend to think it does help.IMG_20200404_151429787.jpgIMG_20200404_151436866.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl