Coconut oil

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
This question is directed to @Yvonne G but others feel free to respond. Yvonne I have read a few of your responses on wiping the excess coconut oil off the shell? Is there a danger leaving it on?I use it often on Opo because Opo loves taking a shower in the kitchen sink.
Thought I would ask this way instead of a PM to share your knowledge.
Thanks Ray

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
This question is directed to @Yvonne G but others feel free to respond. Yvonne I have read a few of your responses on wiping the excess coconut oil off the shell? Is there a danger leaving it on?I use it often on Opo because Opo loves taking a shower in the kitchen sink.
Thought I would ask this way instead of a PM to share your knowledge.
Thanks Ray

Obviously I am not Yvonne :)...but my two cents: if you leave the excess on the shell (kinda like if you were to slather yourself down in sun tan oil--(yes, in the old days we use to slather our bodies with oil to attract a more intense tan) whilst at the beach...and then roll around in the sand (fun huh) not only would the sand adhere to every exposed part...but would even cover the, well, un mentionable parts (eww)...so if you are human, it would just feel super gross right? But if you are tortoise, who could not jump in the shower to rinse off....you would now have it stuck to your eye lids, in your nose holes....in your bung hole and other part :)- as well as it would cover your shell, and if you are tortoise it is important to have some good exposed shell to absorb all of that yummy sun (uva/uvb) right???? Again, just my two cents....

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A tortoise’s shell is covered in fine pores. Any sort of oil will clog these. I personally would never rub oil into a tortoise’s shell... I prefer to enjoy them in their natural state. They are animals, not a piece of furniture

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't put the oil on the whole shell, although some do. I only paint it on the growth seams with a q-tip. After allowing it to absorb for 15 or 20 minutes, I polish it off with a clean absorbent cloth so the substrate doesn't stick to it. Since 'dirt' is used to extract oils, it defeats the purpose in using the oil in the first place if you then extract it with the substrate.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
A tortoise’s shell is covered in fine pores. Any sort of oil will clog these. I personally would never rub oil into a tortoise’s shell... I prefer to enjoy them in their natural state. They are animals, not a piece of furniture
I was using after giving Opo the showers that Opo loves. I was worried about washing natural oils away and didn't want to dry out the shell. I remember a post from Yvonne that she said use a q-tip and just do the growth rings. So I started that. I agree the natural color is beautiful. I am just trying to stay away from the damned pyramiding :)

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I don't put the oil on the whole shell, although some do. I only paint it on the growth seams with a q-tip. After allowing it to absorb for 15 or 20 minutes, I polish it off with a clean absorbent cloth so the substrate doesn't stick to it. Since 'dirt' is used to extract oils, it defeats the purpose in using the oil in the first place if you then extract it with the substrate.
After posting to JoesMum I read your post. I got info that educated me from every post here. Knowledge is priceless!
Thanks Yvonne I will start doing what you suggested.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thanks to everyone for your input.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ray....as long as you keep Mr Opo outside in that wonderful HUMID Florida environment you shouldnt have to worry about pyramiding. It’s like 85% humidity there now...and only increasing! You have it made. Enjoy.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I’m not sure if anyone’s noticed, but in the tortoise forum app, whenever someone writes “Opo” it shows up as the “O.O” emoji.

Here’s an example...IMG_1889.jpg
It took me a while to figure out why Ray always sounded so surprised when he posts [emoji23]

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I’m not sure if anyone’s noticed, but in the tortoise forum app, whenever someone writes “Opo” it shows up as the “O.O” emoji.

Here’s an example...View attachment 261550
It took me a while to figure out why Ray always sounded so surprised when he posts [emoji23]
Wow I didn't know that!Gonna have to figure out something. Maybe if I put a asterisk in front it might help:mad::mad:

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ

Weird. I use the Tortoise Forum app and it shows up as "Opo." No emojis. I use a Samsung Galaxy S9 phone.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Ray....as long as you keep Mr Opo outside in that wonderful HUMID Florida environment you shouldnt have to worry about pyramiding. It’s like 85% humidity there now...and only increasing! You have it made. Enjoy.
*Opo is 9 in. and I was planning on making a outdoors hold for *Opo. Then I had my wheelchair accident and my broken ribs and fractured hip put the nix on that. So I have *Opo inside and when it is 65 or warmer I have *Opo outside to graze for awhile. There has been only 5 days I haven't been able to get *Opo out.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

What device are you using?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
A few myths here in my opinion:

Tortoise shells do not have pores. Their shell is covered with scutes made of keratin. Like your fingernail. NO pores. Oil on the shell will not clog pores.

UVB is absorbed and the process of making D3 happens in the skin. None in the shell. In particular the thinner skin of the neck and upper hind legs and back of the front legs. One of the reasons for the sprawled out look of a basking tortoise! The UVB blocking attribute of the oil will have not detriment to D3 production it is applied to the shell. Just would be advisable to keep it off the legs and neck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A few myths here in my opinion:

Tortoise shells do not have pores. Their shell is covered with scutes made of keratin. Like your fingernail. NO pores. Oil on the shell will not clog pores.

UVB is absorbed and the process of making D3 happens in the skin. None in the shell. In particular the thinner skin of the neck and upper hind legs and back of the front legs. One of the reasons for the sprawled out look of a basking tortoise! The UVB blocking attribute of the oil will have not detriment to D3 production it is applied to the shell. Just would be advisable to keep it off the legs and neck.
I'm so glad you said this. I've always believed there are no pores on turtle shells, but wasn't sure enough of myself to say it outloud!

I think there's a difference between having pores and being a porus material.