Coil light question

Alethea

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hi. I have seen the posts about coil lights by zoo med. I had already purchased one by "Thrive" . are only the zoo med ones bad or should I return this one asap?
Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi. I have seen the posts about coil lights by zoo med. I had already purchased one by "Thrive" . are only the zoo med ones bad or should I return this one asap?
Thanks
None of the cfl types are a good UV source, and any of them can cause eye damage. I would not use any of them. There are much better options available. Arcadia Pro T5 kits are the best, and for some applications the new ZooMed LED UV bulbs are great too:
Unknown.jpeg
FS-LUV_Reptisun_UVB_LED_34_2-21-313x700.jpg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
None of the cfl types are a good UV source, and any of them can cause eye damage. I would not use any of them. There are much better options available. Arcadia Pro T5 kits are the best, and for some applications the new ZooMed LED UV bulbs are great too:
View attachment 345441
View attachment 345442
Wow! When did these come out? I think this would be great for Thistle instead of the T5.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
How's the light output?
I'd like something a bit brighter than my current florescent UVB over my Chameleons
The LED UVB lights are quite dim in visible light output. They are very low wattage and a majority of the engergy is used to generate UV, not visible light. So use of the LED UVB light definitely require additional ambient light added to create a true basking zone. The great advantage is the LED UVB plus a good LED 5000K-6000K ambient light is a perfect light source with practically no heat generated. SO works very well in a closed chamber where a T5 would otherwise contribute to possible overheating. Still need an incandescent basking bulb as well, but can then better control the heat output total much better.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The LED UVB lights are quite dim in visible light output. They are very low wattage and a majority of the engergy is used to generate UV, not visible light. So use of the LED UVB light definitely require additional ambient light added to create a true basking zone. The great advantage is the LED UVB plus a good LED 5000K-6000K ambient light is a perfect light source with practically no heat generated. SO works very well in a closed chamber where a T5 would otherwise contribute to possible overheating. Still need an incandescent basking bulb as well, but can then better control the heat output total much better.
Thank you, sir!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How's the light output?
I'd like something a bit brighter than my current florescent UVB over my Chameleons
The light output in most LED UV bulbs that I have tried are quite low, as Mark explained. The light output from the new ZooMed LED is pretty good. Not enough to skip additional ambient lighting, but better than other types of LED UV lamps.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The light output in most LED UV bulbs that I have tried are quite low, as Mark explained. The light output from the new ZooMed LED is pretty good. Not enough to skip additional ambient lighting, but better than other types of LED UV lamps.
Thanks.
Unlike my RF, my Chameleons like it bright in the upper parts of their enclosures