Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
View attachment 227380
Rainy day here in Chicago.
Where is everybody? The picture of Chicago I have in my mind is something like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Fossils from Mazon Creek, Illinois, sent by a lovely chap on the Fossil Forum who lives nearby.
These are Upper Carboniferous (Pennsylvanian) in age, the same age as the Radstock Coalfield in South West England and with some of the same plants.
307 million years old
This is Pecopteris; a tree fern.

View attachment 227359
Preserved in little nodules 3.5 cm long.
Oh wow. Those are quite clear. Would have thought thst a 307 million year old fossil would be a slight impression.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good afternoon roomies.

I’m loving the fossils, Adam. They’re so interesting.

I got a lovely hand-embellished card from @Linhdan Nguyen today. Thank you [emoji173]️
View attachment 227370

Yesterday’s trip to London was another without photos... sorry, sorry, sorry :(

We started at the Handel & Hendrix house

Handel of Messiah fame lived in a property right next to the flat where Jimi Hendrix lived 200 years later. It was OK. The Handel stuff was limited and the Hendrix really for superfans. I wouldn’t bother again.

Then we went to two small obscure museums that are part of University College London.

The first was the Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology It’s a collection of things dug up over the last century or so by the university’s archaeologists. The star exhibit has to be 5000 year old shirt that has been carefully preserved by the V&A for the university. I loved the household objects they had on display. Photos on the link

The second was the Grant Museum of Zoology which is, as you imagine, full of stuffed animals, preserved animals, fossils and skeletons. These were teaching aids, so you have things like a jar full of moles... one per student. You can see a picture of that and other stuff on the link.

Both the museums were interesting in their own way.

The best part of the day came last... an after dark tour of Dennis Severs’ House

It was entirely lit by candles and heated by open fires. You do the tour in total silence. Nobody is allowed to speak. It looked like the family had just left. It was totally amazing!

You have to book this in advance, but if you’re planning on being in London then I recommend you do so!
That sounds like it was fun.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
It's my husband. He has a low boredom threshold and goes looking for things we haven't seen or done before! :D

However, it looks like I might have him out from under my feet again soon. He went to see a former employer about some contract work today and it looks like it might come off :)
Yippeee. That is good news. Good luck I hope it happens.