COLD DARK ROOM

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Why are they useful in the enclosure? I sometimes see them on baby as well. And if they are good for the enclosure should I leave them then?
They eat rotting matter and poop, help keep things clean.
Many people like them in the enclosure, others don't, it's up to you.
I've never had any.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
They eat rotting matter and poop, help keep things clean.
Many people like them in the enclosure, others don't, it's up to you.
I've never had any.
Okay. I will just use the tape then as it will just keep the population under control. Will they harm baby if she ingests some of those babies while drinking the water? Or do they count as protein?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Nice site, but I think it's mostly about the USA.
This fossil is presumably from New Zealand so a more international forum may be more appropriate. :)
Actually, although I BOUGHT it in New Zealand, I was told it was from the Gobi Desert. Sorry for any misunderstanding. @Tidgy's Dad

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Okay. I will just use the tape then as it will just keep the population under control. Will they harm baby if she ingests some of those babies while drinking the water? Or do they count as protein?
Even for veggie tortoise like my Tidgy, ingesting a couple of these is no bother at all.
I think a huge number would have to be gobbled for them to be classed as a protein meal!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Actually, although I BOUGHT it in New Zealand, I was told it was from the Gobi Desert. Sorry for any misunderstanding. @Tidgy's Dad
Gobi desert still not in the USA.
Turtles do occur there, but I understand all export is now prohibited, so this makes this one very rare indeed, outside Mongolia/ China.
I still think it's real and most incredibly rare, valuable and beautiful.
But I Could be wrong.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Gobi desert still not in the USA.
Turtles do occur there, but I understand all export is now prohibited, so this makes this one very rare indeed, outside Mongolia/ China.
I still think it's real and most incredibly rare, valuable and beautiful.
But I Could be wrong.
:eek: WOW!!!!! Thanks, again!
Louisiana State University is quite a big university, only about 50 miles from here. I'm currently thinking of calling the paleontology department to make an appointment for them to look at it and determine if it's real or not.
I don't know ANY dealers, and am a TOTAL babe-in-the woods with this.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
If it's said to be from China, does that lessen its value, or make the identifying criteria more stringent?
Gobi desert China is more likely as a location, makes it possibly more common, but as export is supposed to be prohibited and most available are faked it will still be worth a lot if real.
It does increase the chance of it being a fake; you could be right about the addition of crocodillian scutes, I would go to TFF.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Gobi desert China is more likely as a location, makes it possibly more common, but as export is supposed to be prohibited and most available are faked it will still be worth a lot if real.
It does increase the chance of it being a fake; you could be right about the addition of crocodillian scutes, I would go to TFF.
OK. :)