COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
I'm not finding the group...searching FB with that link isn't working for me. Does the group have a name? What am I doing wrong?
I'm not there yet. I have to get it up and running again. Other people have been saying they want me. But the CDR is the only one that talked me into it...

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
The weather is lousy -- and I'm suffering from a new attack of sinusitis after the trip, so I changed my mind about the walk. A few of the promised photos instead!

The cruise started at 16:30 pm from Copenhagen. When we woke up next morning, we were already approaching Oslo. A view of the fjords:

View attachment 267821

Our visit in Oslo started at Akershus Fortress, a medieval fortress that was used as a military base and a royal residence, and hosts the royal mausoleum and a military museum, as well as memorials to the resistance fighters executed here during WWII.

View attachment 267822

The fortress overlooks the Oslo Fjord.

View attachment 267823

View attachment 267824

----
From there, we headed down to the city center, and found a familiar face on the way. Husband insisted on a picture.

View attachment 267825

Oslo City Hall is nicknamed "brunost", the Norwegian brown cheese (it looks like a couple of those lumped together). Unfortunately the real brunost was not available because apparently it's not the season yet. The Nobel Peace Prize center is right around the corner.

View attachment 267826

(To be continued...)
Looks fabulous!
Great pics!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm not there yet. I have to get it up and running again. Other people have been saying they want me. But the CDR is the only one that talked me into it...
I've had my FB acct for years, so I don't know why I can't seem to find it. I'll have to try again later. Have fun getting set up again!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
From there, we continued along the boardwalk (for my geocaching), and ...

View attachment 267827

...found a friend of Mark's!

View attachment 267828

Oslo, as a city, is obsessed with sculpture. We didn't have time to go to either of the two big sculpture parks, but we saw this little hidden gem. Notice the squares of something that from distance actually looks like grass:

View attachment 267829

Up close, it's this:

View attachment 267830
View attachment 267831

Old snow is still piled up in places, but at least we didn't get the promised sleet! :eek:

View attachment 267832

And then it was time to go back, but not before a visit to the opera house, with its sloping roof, on which you could walk.

View attachment 267833

A floating sculpture (what else?) of a sinking boat in the foreground and our transport home in the background. Fortunately, this was no foreshadowing of our return journey. :eek:

View attachment 267834
Wow what a beautiful place - those miniature statues are fantastic!
Daughter looks lovely in her snow outfit too!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I like it! Funny, just last evening my husband asked me, out of the blue, what color I would paint our house!
Our house is the light blue(exterior) with a darker blue roof. I thought it would stand out like a sore thumb but it doesn't. Some white trim makes it peaceful looking. Nice.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good luck Lyn. I hope it goes well today.
Thank you, Carol and Linda it did - eventually.
The fire alarm in the hospital went off, just after I arrived.
I couldn't use the lift so had to hobble down two flights of stairs!
Good job there wasn't a real fire, I was holding everyone up, but they were very patient and kept an eye on me to make sure I didn't fall.
I have exercises to do to improve mobility of my foot they told me that with the plate in my leg they don't expect me to regain full mobility - not what I wanted to hear:(
But who knows? Determination can overcome a lot!
Thanks for the tip @JoesMum!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Our house is the light blue(exterior) with a darker blue roof. I thought it would stand out like a sore thumb but it doesn't. Some white trim makes it peaceful looking. Nice.

The roof is going to be done after the windows.
That’s a great idea to make it a darker blue (the roof)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I guess this is the active chat group these days. So hi guys. Not that I haven’t been around for years, but I just do a lot of lurking and not a lot of posting the past couple years.

View attachment 267839
Hi Sarah!!
Good to see you again - hope all is well!

Last edited:

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I think mine died from too many bloodworms [emoji22]. I tried epsom salt baths, but he was pineconed and I finally euthanized him.

It’s easy to over feed them.
I did salt baths too. Along with almond leaf soaks and copper. We had him 2.5yrs.

Is your new one a baby?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Ok, I have a question for the long time loiterers in the CDR.

How do you keep up with it? I was caught up last night when I went to bed...I get up and there are 258 new posts!

Don't any of you have a real life? [emoji2] What's the trick? Tell me, please!

@smarch, pay attention here...
Yes - we are prolific posters!:)
I have long school holidays and have been laid up with a broken leg since the end of Jan so plenty of time on my hands!!!
I think something happens to the times in translation though.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
The roof is going to be done after the windows.
That’s a great idea to make it a darker blue (the roof)
After I bought the roofing materials I thought OMG what have I done!!! I couldn't take my eyes off of it when I was shopping with the roofer. It was a deep Saphire blue. But it turned out really kind of nice. The trim needs painted again as usual.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes - we are prolific posters!:)
I have long school holidays and have been laid up with a broken leg since the end of Jan so plenty of time on my hands!!!
I think something happens to the times in translation though.
Yes it's 9:17 p.m. and I'm posting so you are a few hours different then me. What time is it for you? I guess I could look it all up but...