COLD DARK ROOM

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Oh Wow. I would love to get rain like that.
So would I! Problem is, when it rains here all the washes flood, making roads impassable. If it happens while you're out somewhere, it can be hard to get home!

Last fall, we had a huge downpour here. It was traffic havoc. But at 3:00 AM, in the pelting rain, I am out flat on my belly, in the mud, in my nightgown, trying to get Chug out of his burrow.

I got him out, stood up, and heard a freight train coming..(there are no trains here). We live 75 feet from the edge of a large wash. The sound was a torrent of water coming down the wash! It was deafening!

There was nothing to fear, so an extremely irritated Chug spent the night in the bathtub, and I went back to bed.

In the morning, the pavement of the road had been partially washed away, and a pickup truck had been washed off the road onto it's side. Driver not injured, fortunately.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
With only 2 of us, I do one load of “light coloured and whites” and one of “dark coloured”. I have enough to do one of each once a week with just the two of us. We have a Miele machine like this
Ours is a top loader. Which helps with being able to use the water again.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have to separate. So we can definitely not wash everyday. [emoji23]
I heard today on the news that our country is allowing a lot of bad chemicals into our products. You may be better off with the clothes available to you. Even though you have to separate them. My mother brought me something from France and the fabric was so different. It felt so nice. Very different then what's available here.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
You can’t get top loaders easily in this country. They’re pretty much all front loaders of the style like mine.
We can get both. But most like the front loader. I like the top loader, as I was always worried that something might go wrong in the middle of a cycle. And then you have water everywhere. [emoji23] [emoji23]

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We can get both. But most like the front loader. I like the top loader, as I was always worried that something might go wrong in the middle of a cycle. And then you have water everywhere. [emoji23] [emoji23]

They use so little water in the modern machines that it wasn’t a problem when I last had a failure. Everything was sopping wet, but I could open the door without a flood.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I heard today on the news that our country is allowing a lot of bad chemicals into our products. You may be better off with the clothes available to you. Even though you have to separate them. My mother brought me something from France and the fabric was so different. It felt so nice. Very different then what's available here.
I don't mind. Although we have a lot of washing as there are 4 of us still in the house. [emoji23]

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Oh. That is a shame.
I'd rather do that then have them spraying pesticides at their whim. I'll just collect it right after a rain and store it in plastic jugs. It's just a little extra work. I'll also have water in an actual emergency so it's a win win. I'm retired so what I do is try to remain active. I read today about the real health benefits of aquarium keeping for people. I was already noticing that and I don't even have a betta yet.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
At this rate you won't have a forest for very much longer. I hate to see this happening.

I know....we have had windy and wet conditions. These few have been leaning and leaning. Only a matter of time ‘til they came crashing down.

We’ve worked a few hours this afternoon cleaning up the wreck.

4EBC887C-DCA7-4492-9DB2-AC8C1E79F729.jpeg D7B8124D-647B-4179-99FF-548EA294B126.jpeg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
We paddled pretty much all day Saturday and Sunday in the rain. Lots of rain. The best day/night was friday, but there were terrible winds too. We did have great kayaking....our spirits were high.

View attachment 269837
Sunny and Windy and Dry

View attachment 269838
Rainy and Soggy and Wet

Looks like you needed higher ground for your tent[emoji33]

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I know....we have had windy and wet conditions. These few have been leaning and leaning. Only a matter of time ‘til they came crashing down.

We’ve worked a few hours this afternoon cleaning up the wreck.

View attachment 269861 View attachment 269862

I hate this for you! I hope at least you get some good use out of all the wood! Here, the carpenter ants and the squirrels are killing many of the trees... I guess it’s all part of a circle but I’m still only seeing one half [emoji848]

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yep...we had one too.
I loved helping my mother do laundry. You can do 2 or 3 loads in the same water. They get clothes way cleaner too. Hang them out to dry. I know it's an old fashioned way and young families don't have that kind of time anymore.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
We paddled pretty much all day Saturday and Sunday in the rain. Lots of rain. The best day/night was friday, but there were terrible winds too. We did have great kayaking....our spirits were high.

View attachment 269837
Sunny and Windy and Dry

View attachment 269838
Rainy and Soggy and Wet
Lovely spot in the woods - did you sleep in your kayaks?