COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
I hope Saphire enjoys it and doesn’t sulk too much when he has to come in again!
He will. Now he'll be begging everyday even when it's too cold. But he does enjoy the changes I've made to his indoor enclosure thanks to TFO. Maybe it won't bother him or me so bad this year.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Today’s photos from ecologist Daughter are of newts. They’re pond amphibians and, particularly the Great Crested variety, not that common.

Daughter is doing this trapping as part of her studies for her Great Crested Newt License - another endangered species you need qualifications before you can handle.

She went out bottle trapping last night. They create a trap from a fizzy drink (soda/pop) bottle and leave that in the pond. It doesn’t need bait. Once one stumbles into it, the others follow on!

This first trap has Smooth Newts.
View attachment 270157

And this one a Great Crested Newt
View attachment 270158
I only saw second picture. But it is very cute.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Wa-a-a-a-a-ay back, when my husband was still alive and my kids were little, we used to buy "water dogs" at the bait store to use for fishing. I don't think I could stomach that today. They turned into tiger salamanders.

Water dog:
View attachment 270180
tiger salamander:

5260599.jpg
Oh shame. Poor things.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
That's close to what mine was when I couldn't stay upright! A really horrible feeling!
My doctor calls me a brickle high blood pressure person. Believe it or not I don't even pass out when that happens. I pass out when it goes sky high. I do think bp is doing better because I'm on the right breathing treatment now.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Happy Thursday everyone. I have been for another swim as yesterday’s was so successful. It has really helped with the swelling and bruising. The downside is that having less pain in my lower leg makes me more aware of the pain in the back of my knee, but I am content that there’s progress.

We are taking a break over the Easter Weekend in the New Forest... which isn’t all trees or as new as it sounds :D It’s actually about 200 sq miles/ 380 sq km of woodland and heathland that was reserved by William the Conqueror for royal hunting back in 1079 and is now a National Park.

I shall have to let the family explore on foot and curl up with a book and my binoculars in the forecast sunshine :)
That's great!!! Finding the real point of pain is winning.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I can remember dad always getting me one to play with when he bought goldfish for trot line bait. I always thought it was one saved from a horrible fate:)
I used to play with them in cricks and streams. I didn't touch them. I just caught them and looked. Then let them loose where I found them. My mother wouldn't let me have pets like that.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Happy Thursday everyone. I have been for another swim as yesterday’s was so successful. It has really helped with the swelling and bruising. The downside is that having less pain in my lower leg makes me more aware of the pain in the back of my knee, but I am content that there’s progress.

We are taking a break over the Easter Weekend in the New Forest... which isn’t all trees or as new as it sounds :D It’s actually about 200 sq miles/ 380 sq km of woodland and heathland that was reserved by William the Conqueror for royal hunting back in 1079 and is now a National Park.

I shall have to let the family explore on foot and curl up with a book and my binoculars in the forecast sunshine :)
How lovely and the weather is looking good too.
Enjoy your break!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Wa-a-a-a-a-ay back, when my husband was still alive and my kids were little, we used to buy "water dogs" at the bait store to use for fishing. I don't think I could stomach that today. They turned into tiger salamanders.

Water dog:
View attachment 270180
tiger salamander:

5260599.jpg
I think the water dog is an axolotl, - if not its very similar. All types of salamander. The white ones are quite popular as pets.
They have lovely smiles!

upload_2019-4-18_22-23-13.jpeg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good evening all. What a scorcher today turned out to be!
I put Lola outside in a large underbed storage box so he would have some real uvb and not just turn and run inside.
He enjoyed basking for a while and had a good feast on some clover and dandies, but sure enough, as soon as I let him loose in the garden he headed back in!
He really needs to get out more!!!
22'C (approx 77'F) expected tomorrow!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I put Lola outside in a large underbed storage box so he would have some real uvb and not just turn and run inside.
He enjoyed basking for a while and had a good feast on some clover and dandies, but sure enough, as soon as I let him loose in the garden he headed back in!

But.... 22C ic closer to 71F :) have to keep you honest!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Maybe planet earth is still cold where you are?..Saphire starts wanting to go outside in mid February...but the air is too cold.