COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Then we drove the kind of roads that most of you cannot imagine.

Barely wider than our volvo, the roads - Wrynose Pass and Hardknott Pass - are steep (1 in 3 in imperial - 30% in metric) with many zigzags and passing places.

The road we drove is in my photos if you look carefully!

IMG_9996.jpg
IMG_9999.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
250m altitude, 800 ft up on the moor are the remains of an 1800 year old Roman fort. I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea to build there, but it must have been bleak even then.

It’s in an amazing state of preservation . The RAF gave us a fly past in 4 fighter jets while we were there (no photos - too fast!) and we saw a Raven fighting a Hen Harrier too.
IMG_0012.jpg
IMG_0013.jpg
IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0017.jpg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I will most probably feel the same once my kids are out the house.
emoji23.png
yea when mine leave after a visit I have to look around. I'm mom to a
I will most probably feel the same once my kids are out the house. [emoji23]
a house bunny. I have to make sure she's safe too...Sorry it took two quotes. I hit the wrong key because it's getting dark and did you know? Tomorrow is national Leprechaun day!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hello roommates.
I'm back up in Georgia.
8 hours of driving in a thunderstorm system....
I'm up here to see my mother.
I had to bring my trusty old truck. The one mom CAN'T get in or out of. Because Kelly wants to use my car since she has a tiny convertible and it's supposed to storm all week while I'm gone.
So I'm here. But I can't take her anywhere.
I guess that's ok. Because that also means she won't get injured.
Glad you got there safely in spite of the storms, Ed and hope your Mum is well.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Probably. Many millennia ago [emoji23]

Hhmmm. I think they started much larger than puddles! Massive ice cubes in gin and tonics!

The Lake District has over fourteen lakes and tarns. The Lake District’s volcanic rock does not allow water to seep away. The high rainfall, combined with the extra deep glacial valleys, means that the valleys are able to store large volumes of water.

https://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/learning/geology

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Are you saying the Lakes started out as puddles? [emoji33]
Biggish puddles!!

Thirlmere is/was a Victorian man made reservoir by taking 2 lakes and drowning the land between and around them.
Bassenthwaite is the only lake - the rest are meres or waters as in Windemere and Wastwater.
'What's the difference?' You make ask
'I've no idea', I'll reply!:confused:
I'm sure Google will know!

Last edited:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
250m altitude, 800 ft up on the moor are the remains of an 1800 year old Roman fort. I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea to build there, but it must have been bleak even then.

It’s in an amazing state of preservation . The RAF gave us a fly past in 4 fighter jets while we were there (no photos - too fast!) and we saw a Raven fighting a Hen Harrier too.
View attachment 272112
View attachment 272113
View attachment 272114
View attachment 272115

Wow! You had great weather!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Then we drove the kind of roads that most of you cannot imagine.

Barely wider than our volvo, the roads - Wrynose Pass and Hardknott Pass - are steep (1 in 3 in imperial - 30% in metric) with many zigzags and passing places.

The road we drove is in my photos if you look carefully!

View attachment 272109
View attachment 272110
View attachment 272111
Hardknott Pass is incredibly steep, the first time I went over there I thought the car was going to tip backwards!!
Beautiful views from it though!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Looks like most of the UK has had good weather today, it's been bright and sunny here again.
Lola wouldn't stay out in the sun but he did venture as far as the door into the garden a few times (well secured so it was jammed open), he would sit there looking out into the garden but wouldn't step over the threshold.:rolleyes:
I had a serious talk with him about how he has to realise that he is a tortoise and is supposed to like being out in the sun.
Maybe he'll be a bit braver tomorrow!!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
He’s got such an expressive (happy) face!!!! He’s so light colored compared to the one I used to have..
Thank you! I'm beginning to wonder if he picks up some of his expressions from the cats...:rolleyes: He's our first bearded dragon. I think he makes a good beardie ambassador to the rest of the family (he's everyone else's first beardie, too). His light coloration and expressiveness, coupled with his typically calm demeanor, make him more easily perceived as non-threatening.

We bought him from his breeder at the expo in Daytona last year. I knew we were getting a GREAT beardie because everything about his breeder FELT right. She's the type who worries every single time she ships one of her dragons, until they arrive safely with their new family at the other end. Her dragons weren't prepackaged in small containers, either. They were in big, deep, open top bins where they could move around, eat their greens, and make beardie poop on the paper towels on the floor of the bin (easy to replace and change that way). :)