COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
This is what I came up with. It slips on and off in a second. I did the hemming with several folds to make it more stable around the bottom, top, and strap. Then zigzagged the top to the sides and front. The strap just sewed on to stabilize the sides with enough room to easily take it on and off.
View attachment 274327 View attachment 274328
That looks awesome.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
This is what I came up with. It slips on and off in a second. I did the hemming with several folds to make it more stable around the bottom, top, and strap. Then zigzagged the top to the sides and front. The strap just sewed on to stabilize the sides with enough room to easily take it on and off.
View attachment 274327 View attachment 274328
Awesome!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I've heard great things about Newfoundlands, but they've never been a good, realistic option here. They'd hate Florida. Too hot, too muggy, and not being allowed to swim in natural waters due to alligators. :(
My boy loves the water. When we go to the OBX he stands or lays down in the water all day. He likes the ankle deep the best.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
All this talk of hummingbirds sounds so exotic to those of us in the UK... and the rest of Europe. It seems outrageous that people can just hang a feeder in a garden! They’re something you see on wildlife programmes on tv and in zoos!
You've got really neat animals and birds that we don't get to see too...

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
That's really interesting because I built a pretty large cage for my Zebra Finches. They can hover in mid air and almost fly like hummingbirds. They possibly could enjoy a hummingbird feeder?
I've never kept Zebra Finches, so I'm not sure.

But one problem I see would be that their bills are not made for reaching into flowers or feeders. Being seed eaters, the shape isn't conducive to hummer feeders. However, you could try removing the bee guards from a feeder. That might give enough access. That's what I do.

You could also try a small saucer with nectar as a treat. I don't buy commercial hummer food. I just put a few spoonsful of sugar in water.

It's interesting that my bird ID app does not say anything about finches and nectar, but they sure do like it.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Thank goodness my house is back to belonging to me and Misty alone! I do so love my aloneness, but I have to admit, it does seem a bit lonely here today. It was very nice to see my grand daughter. I was her day care giver from her birth until she was school age, when they moved to Texas. I went to Texas for her high school graduation and that was the last time I saw her in person. She's not a big fan of writing, and it hurts my ears to talk on the phone for very long, so we've sort of lost touch over the years. She and her husband of two or three years (I'm old, I can't keep up with these things) stayed here Friday and Saturday nights and we had a very nice visit. They were attached to their cell phones, as people seem to be now-a-days, but it wasn't offensive. We went to a movie, played a couple board games, went out to eat, and had a very nice visit!

Now I have to wash off the water spots in the "crystal shining bathroom." The granddaughter who visited this week-end is the one who so named my guest bathroom. We have very hard water, and if you don't wipe down the shower and sink after you use them the water leaves deposits, and I have a hard time advising 'guests' to wipe down the bathroom after they use it.

Today I plan to clean the bathroom, wash clothes, water the plants and veg out!
Well, at least it sounds like you won't need therapy! I'm so happy you had a good visit!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I've never kept Zebra Finches, so I'm not sure.

But one problem I see would be that their bills are not made for reaching into flowers or feeders. Being seed eaters, the shape isn't conducive to hummer feeders. However, you could try removing the bee guards from a feeder. That might give enough access. That's what I do.

You could also try a small saucer with nectar as a treat. I don't buy commercial hummer food. I just put a few spoonsful of sugar in water.

It's interesting that my bird ID app does not say anything about finches and nectar, but they sure do like it.
Yes. The beaks being shorter. Maybe I can figure out a water dish they might enjoy though. Easily changed daily. For a desert.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes. The beaks being shorter. Maybe I can figure out a water dish they might enjoy though. Easily changed daily. For a desert.
I can see why my finches would need a little bit of sugar now and then. They are really small but their wings beat so fast that you can hear them flying...and feel the breeze from them.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Sadly it hasn't changed much today - it has been the worst day for a long time.
We did have a brighter couple of hours this afternoon, but then the sky went black and we had a thunderstorm with heavy rain again.
Thankfully tomorrow looks dry but very windy so the bride had better hang on to her veil and I can see a few hats worn by guests taking off:) (no I'm not wearing one!)
There will be some sunny intervals and a sunny warm evening - by which time most of the guests will have had a few drinks and won't care!
All the wedding planning in the world can't change the weather so ce sera sera!
I haven't been able to find you and see how much fun you had at the wedding...

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I thought maybe since you stitch I could add a bit of inspiration to what you might need to do. And design your own beautiful night time cover. I used scraps.
I appreciate the inspiration! Too often I get caught in the "analysis paralysis," which doesn't get much accomplished... :rolleyes:

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good mornooning all. It’s wet here too. I shouldn’t complain because the garden needs it. However, the mosquitoes seem to have emerged and I am being bitten a lot now. As per usual, JoesDad isn’t being bitten... they prefer me [emoji849]
You must be much sweeter than JoesDad.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
All wet here in Maryland too. I predicted that....recall the rainbarrels are all set up - so now it will just rsin all Summer and I won’t need the barrel.

Still working on our “other” house down in Virginia. Cleaning, painting, gardening... 10 bags of mulch yesterdsy. Plants trimmed, new perennials added, bags of stone in the garden path. Fence repair & painting. Power washing. Siding yesterday. Carpets being cleaned...ogh, deck cleaned and stained.

Whew. I’m tired just reading that list.

Ok. Time to hit the road to Virginia...have a great day..

Ps - if anyone wants to purchase a house in Northern VA, one mile from the Potomac River and a short drive to Washington DC , let me know!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Then right at the top there is a hut where we all had a glass of muscadale port and some dried fruit. We were also fine above the clouds and got some sun. There was an old wood stove inside, but sadly it was not on. [emoji20]
After the snacks and drink and photo opportunities. We all got back on the tractor and went back down to enjoy a potjie lunch. View attachment 274294View attachment 274295View attachment 274296View attachment 274297View attachment 274298View attachment 274299View attachment 274300

That looks pretty special. Australia has always been my top pick of places I want to visit.. your pics are inspiring!