COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Good mornooning, roommates! I’ve been (and will probably continue to be) a little quiet. A lot of last-minute social engagements. A lot of work trying to sort everything out. Traveling to Canada on July 1st. Still have dinner for class moms, daughter’s birthday party, end-of-year gifts for class teachers, friends visiting from Australia and US... Wish me luck! Miss you all. Love.
Good luck. You are seriously busy and by the looks of it going to need it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good mornooning, roommates! I’ve been (and will probably continue to be) a little quiet. A lot of last-minute social engagements. A lot of work trying to sort everything out. Traveling to Canada on July 1st. Still have dinner for class moms, daughter’s birthday party, end-of-year gifts for class teachers, friends visiting from Australia and US... Wish me luck! Miss you all. Love.

Good luck with that lot Lena. There’s a lot to do before your big move!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Wow...you are really making the plunge to North America. Best of luck, enjoy the chaos of last minute everything.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don’t get alerts whatever I look at. They don’t seem to work for me. I get notifications, but thee are so many from the CDR the mentions get missed.

If people need my attention, they need to PM me with a link to the thread. I have this in my signature.
I can't link from my Kindle.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sow bugs, pill bugs, rolly pollys - whatever you call them in your neck of the woods. . .

At night, since I live alone, I seldom turn on lights as I walk through the house, but I sometimes carry a flash light with me when I take Misty out during the night. So I'm coming back inside with Misty at zero dark thirty and I remember that I neglected to check on the 9 baby leopards to make sure none of them are on their back (tiny babies don't have their sea legs yet and tip over easily). So I shined the flashlight inside the enclosure as I walked past it. OMG!!! Their food dish was COVERED with pill bugs. But, because I had shined a light on them, naturally they scooted out of sight and by the time I got back with my camera there weren't as many as I had originally seen:

sow bugs.jpg

I mean, the tile was literally COVERED with sow bugs. For some time now I had been noticing little black specks all over the tile in the a.m. when I was getting ready to clean off the old food and add new, and to me it looked like little poop specks, but I couldn't imagine what was in there making all that poop. Well, now I know. There must have been one or two bugs in the plant that I set in there. That enclosure has been set up for almost a year, maybe more. I asked my friend, Google, what do pill bugs eat, and here's what he told me, "In the wild, pill bugs eat mostly decomposing vegetation -- vegetables, fruits, plants, grasses and weeds. When raising pill bugs in captivity, you can feed them fish flakes, apples, carrots, potatoes, lettuces and wild leaf litter." So I guess they're cleaning up the tortoises' left overs.

Well, I don't like it. I'm going to have to take the time to clean out that enclosure and start over with all clean and fresh substrate! Shop vac, here I come!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Sow bugs, pill bugs, rolly pollys - whatever you call them in your neck of the woods. . .

At night, since I live alone, I seldom turn on lights as I walk through the house, but I sometimes carry a flash light with me when I take Misty out during the night. So I'm coming back inside with Misty at zero dark thirty and I remember that I neglected to check on the 9 baby leopards to make sure none of them are on their back (tiny babies don't have their sea legs yet and tip over easily). So I shined the flashlight inside the enclosure as I walked past it. OMG!!! Their food dish was COVERED with pill bugs. But, because I had shined a light on them, naturally they scooted out of sight and by the time I got back with my camera there weren't as many as I had originally seen:

View attachment 274447

I mean, the tile was literally COVERED with sow bugs. For some time now I had been noticing little black specks all over the tile in the a.m. when I was getting ready to clean off the old food and add new, and to me it looked like little poop specks, but I couldn't imagine what was in there making all that poop. Well, now I know. There must have been one or two bugs in the plant that I set in there. That enclosure has been set up for almost a year, maybe more. I asked my friend, Google, what do pill bugs eat, and here's what he told me, "In the wild, pill bugs eat mostly decomposing vegetation -- vegetables, fruits, plants, grasses and weeds. When raising pill bugs in captivity, you can feed them fish flakes, apples, carrots, potatoes, lettuces and wild leaf litter." So I guess they're cleaning up the tortoises' left overs.

Well, I don't like it. I'm going to have to take the time to clean out that enclosure and start over with all clean and fresh substrate! Shop vac, here I come!
I am crying big tears here. I so want some pill bugs in my enclosure. The few that I found either died or disappeared. They are what we call the clean up crew and are actually very good for a bio-active enclosure. :(:(:(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I am crying big tears here. I so want some pill bugs in my enclosure. The few that I found either died or disappeared. They are what we call the clean up crew and are actually very good for a bio-active enclosure. :(:(:(
They may still be in there. I never saw any until I shined the flashlight in there at night. Take a look once it gets dark.

Bee62

Germany

View attachment 274447

I `m having pill bugs in my tort enclosures too. I think they do no harm to anyone so I let them live. I am living in an old house. I think the pill bugs are living everywhere in my house....:)

Bee62

Germany
Pill bugs like flat stones to hide under and they like high humidity / moisture. Shall I send you some German pill bugs ?:D

Bee62

Germany

View attachment 274447

I think you can`t get rid of pill bugs even when you clean the whole enclosure and put new substrate in. The pill bugs are living everywhere ( even outside the enclosure ) and will come back in your new substrate soon. Much work with only a short success.:(

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good luck with the exams.

I have to admit that, on the app, I only go into subscribed threads and the CDR is top. I only go into the full list if I have time.
I love the CDR too. I go on some threads just to see what the older members answers are. And sometimes just to help a new member know that someone is listening.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Agreed [emoji173]️
The last part of that statement is so true in 2 ways. I was first welcomed in by Yavonne. Then Tom and then many others. So all of the collective input has helped me gain knowledge I couldn't find before. I can make more informed decisions for my Saphire and reminds me of old decisions that I could forget.

Bee62

Germany
Hello Sabine!

I am on my way home from a talk about the Thames and its religious significance over the centuries. It was really interesting [emoji4]

Son and Daughter are back in Venice. They fly home tomorrow
View attachment 274471
Good evening Linda. Thank you for the beautiful pics you`ve posted from your last travel. It must have been a wonderful jorney.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Not the one I promised ( I have to practise some more days ) but I think a good substitude: @Cathie G
Bridge over troubled water / Simon & Garfunkel
sung by Bee...
I got to see it the day you posted it and yesterday some older ones of your cute little tortoises. You're right it's a good substitute. I enjoyed it. Was that a kitty wanting to sing along too?