COLD DARK ROOM

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I thought I’d share this news story about a school local to me from 1929 with you all.

Hopefully school behaviour policies have improved over the last 90 years. What gets me is the lack of certainty over how children she had and how many attended the school!
View attachment 274541
Sheesh! We've come a long way, baby!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I thought I’d share this news story about a school local to me from 1929 with you all.

Hopefully school behaviour policies have improved over the last 90 years. What gets me is the lack of certainty over how children she had and how many attended the school!
View attachment 274541

I believe the whole thing is wrong on so many accounts!!!! But as a mother, I can say that I would not tolerate any welts on my children that I didn’t put there my self... it is a parents job to teach their children. An officials job to make sure that the parents are aware and involved to do so. Just my thoughts...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I believe the whole thing is wrong on so many accounts!!!! But as a mother, I can say that I would not tolerate any welts on my children that I didn’t put there my self... it is a parents job to teach their children. An officials job to make sure that the parents are aware and involved to do so. Just my thoughts...

But this was 1929 and things were different then. By modern standards completely unacceptable and I struggle to see how it was acceptable then, but it was.

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Things have gone pear-shaped for my kids. Their flight has been cancelled. The airline has put them on a flight from Milan tomorrow. At the moment they’re still kicking round the airport waiting for transport to overnight accommodation arranged by the airline.

Fortunately, under European Union Law, their accommodation and food bills will be picked up and they get compensation. It doesn’t solve the problem that both are supposed to be back at work tomorrow though.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good Wednesday Everyone. It is overcast and cold here today. [emoji15] And has been for the most of this week. So the torts have not had much outside time. I hope all of your Wednesday will be sunnier and warmer. Have a good one.
It's 79°f here but feels chilly because it's overcast here too. But I've had Saphire out for about 3 hours anyway. He still wasn't hiding in his hut last time I checked. It's supposed to rain this evening and tomorrow so I really wanted him to be outside today. Summer is taking forever to arrive.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

View attachment 274541
I don't believe in verbal beating either. Neither is an answer to helping little people understand their behavior is obnoxious. One day, I became so fed up that I told my 4 and 5 year old boys that I wanted to play a new game with them. I would be the baby and they would be the mommy and they agreed to play. After I laid on the floor and threw little fits demanding this that and the other, I started seeing a sheepish smile in both boys eyes. I then rested my case...

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA

View attachment 274541
Wow! When I was in first grade the teacher, a woman, put a classmate across a chair and "spanked" him with a paddle. He had pooped in his pants more times than she would tolerate.

This was done in front of the entire class, whose desks were in a "U". He was put in the center of the "U" and beaten.

Even though I was only 6, I've never forgotten the shame and humiliation on his face. I think he had autism, but no one knew about that then.

I even remember his name. [emoji26]

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Wow! When I was in first grade the teacher, a woman, put a classmate across a chair and "spanked" him with a paddle. He had pooped in his pants more times than she would tolerate.

This was done in front of the entire class, whose desks were in a "U". He was put in the center of the "U" and beaten.

Even though I was only 6, I've never forgotten the shame and humiliation on his face. I think he had autism, but no one knew about that then.

That is so sad [emoji22] It’s a real eye-opener to how things have changed for the better

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
That is so sad [emoji22] It’s a real eye-opener to how things have changed for the better
Yes, that's true.

But at least here in the states it seems we have once again swung the pendulum too far the other way.

I am not involved in teaching or schools...heck, I've never even had any children. But I do know that discipline has all but disappeared in homes and schools. Bad behavior in school is a natural progression from bad behavior at home. It seems to me that kids run rampant these days, and many parents don't care about where their child is, what he's doing, or who his friends are.

Just go to Walmart and watch...parents have no control over their smart-mouthed, backtalking, screaming children.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

That's heart breaking especially since an "adult" did it...I've seen similar behavior on the news lately under the disguise of tough love. They weren't spanking their children but they were shameing them publicly. It too much reminds me of putting them in stalks.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes, that's true.

But at least here in the states it seems we have once again swung the pendulum too far the other way.

I am not involved in teaching or schools...heck, I've never even had any children. But I do know that discipline has all but disappeared in homes and schools. Bad behavior in school is a natural progression from bad behavior at home. It seems to me that kids run rampant these days, and many parents don't care about where their child is, what he's doing, or who his friends are.

Just go to Walmart and watch...parents have no control over their smart-mouthed, backtalking, screaming children.
It's probably more the lack of guidance when they are little...they are kind of like adopting a new pet. Don't do it unless you have the time to do it with patience and love. They do what they see.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Yes, that's true.

I definitely agree with that.. it’s got to be too hard on the officials who care now days because so many parents rarely do... :-((( I believe it all starts at home!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hello everyone, went to the doctors today to see the results of the CT scan on my right lung. The person who read the CT says I have pulmonary fibrosis. My doctor thinks it is scarring from the 2 punctures and drain tube that was in my lung from the accident. So another CT scan and appointment in 3 months and then maybe scope my lung if there are still questions.
So I could have stayed in my hole for another 3 months or get back to some type of a life.
Thank you all for your kind words.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hello everyone, went to the doctors today to see the results of the CT scan on my right lung. The person who read the CT says I have pulmonary fibrosis. My doctor thinks it is scarring from the 2 punctures and drain tube that was in my lung from the accident. So another CT scan and appointment in 3 months and then maybe scope my lung if there are still questions.
So I could have stayed in my hole for another 3 months or get back to some type of a life.
Thank you all for your kind words.
Sheesh, Ray. It's never ending. I hope you're going to "get back to some type of a life." I've enjoyed your posts.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

View attachment 274541
OMW! I am glad that they have taken caning out of the school system.