COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
It's funny, I want it to be sunny for the torts but I don't like it when it's too warm. I wonder what temperature it needs to be for a tort to go " Nah this is too hot for me mate" :D
I worry about that too. And you have a baby...my little Russian is at least 17 years old but I don't have an underground hide for him. So if he's hiding in his hut too long I bring him indoors. You might not have that option. I do have that option only because I'm "considered" elderly and re tired...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Bee62

Germany
All my torts had been outside today. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ! Seems it is summer in Germany.:)
depositphotos_150892424-stock-illustration-summer-background-with-turtle-eating.jpg
das-schattenbild-der-schildkr%C3%B6te-mit-herzen-und-die-beschriftung-simsen-i-liebes-sommer-vektor-90739883.jpg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
No, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't with our climate :)
Maybe in places of prolonged heat it's done to save energy when food and water are limited which I suppose is only problem a wild tort may have.
Poor little ones. No trees, grasses, for sure etc...shade or have to dig a hide through asphalt. Not to mention crossing a road. No habitat...so much for born free. I'm glad I bought my tortoise. I probably shouldn't have said this.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Not bad but the entry is too wide open. Toads like things they can hide under with small ways in. Your toad house is too wide open for toad predators....
Ok. I'll keep a bag of coca cola cans in front of it maybe. Then he'll probably hang out on the bag. This little silly likes the bags. He just sits in broad daylight and lets me take closeup pictures of him. I'll do the cans for his protection.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My days are too short, 24 h are not enough. :D
14 hours to sleep, 2 hours to awake, 2 hours to eat, 2 hours on the computer, 2 hours to prepare for the work and ...... Only 2 hours for working left ...:eek::D:D
Well, it's obvious, you're sleeping too much!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I worry about that too. And you have a baby...my little Russian is at least 17 years old but I don't have an underground hide for him. So if he's hiding in his hut too long I bring him indoors. You might not have that option. I do have that option only because I'm "considered" elderly and re tired...

In the UK at least, they will be fine as long as there is deep shade for them to retreat into during the hottest parts of the day. Problems come when they cannot escape the direct sun or where the shade is only light. Joe knew which bushes or shrubs he preferred in hot weather.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I have a huge one in my conservatory. It has spun a really dense web. I don't like to destroy the web, he's doing me a favour getting all the little flies that make there way in.
'If you want to live and thrive let the spider run alive'
Another had spun a web across my door. I walked into it this morning making me run for my hairbrush to make sure it wasn't crawling about on me.
Surprising really to build one in a place that's used so regularly.
Lol. I know the feeling. [emoji23] [emoji23] It is amazing how such a small creature can instill such high amounts of fear. [emoji23] [emoji23]