COLD DARK ROOM

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ottawa, Ontario
Well, I'm back on a very limited basis.

Less than 4 weeks after Pete died, I found myself in Eisenhower Med Center. I had an extremely high fever. Turns out I had bilateral lower lobe pneumonia, very involved and serious, with right mid lobe involvement. I had serious colitis, then I went into Atrial fib, then my kidneys failed.

Ended up with 1 kidney dialysis treatment, cardioversion for afib,
and a long road ahead to get over the pneumonia. On day of discharge, after 12 days, I found out I was not expected to survive...BUT I DID!!

Now home, alone but with an excellent support church family, struggling to do even the little stuff, like breathing. LOL!

I will read, but probably l will post only occasionally...please be patient with me.

Oh dear. Thinking about you. [emoji173]️

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you changed your desktop picture? It automatically picks a colour from there by default.

Try Settings > Personalisation > Colors

Then toggle Off ... Automatically pick an accent color from my background to see if that fixes it.
View attachment 278690
Thank you, that was very helpful. I had been to that screen but couldn't see what would help. My settings screen doesn't look exactly like your picture, but when I chose a dark background the task bar went back to how it was before. I wish 'they' wouldn't fool around with our settings. That's one reason I never actually turn my computer off, I just turn off the screen. But they still manage to mess with it. Thanks again. I'm now a happy camper.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good luck.
Hey, everyone! Today I'm going to my daughter's house (she'll be at work), try to catch Vito, a Jack Russell Terrier who has always danced away just out of my reach when I reach down to pet him, and take him to the vet to have some crusty, bleeding old age warts removed. I can't tempt him with a doggie cookie because he's not supposed to have any food or water prior to being sedated. Wish me luck that I can catch him.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Well of course! I was so pleased to get the report that all was well in South Africa... it is a busy time of year for working moms with kids in school... today was Jayden’s first day of Kindergarten.. He was so brave and I tried to hurry away before he saw the tears in my eyes.. My last baby growing up...
But you have been missed and I am so glad it was only because of life in general... enjoy your evening and I’ll look forward to reading more from you now:)

And my medical issues have went a long way to remedying themselves.. several small issues and one pinched nerve that anti inflammatories have took some pressure off of & im almost back in form.. with age, these things are to be expected... ughh
But, I can delay any surgeries for a bit yet [emoji12]

Congrats on Jayden’s starting kindergarten. It’s a big milestone! [emoji173]️
Glad to hear you’re getting better.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Welcome back Carol!!

Surgery went well but he’s super cranky!! He’s getting on my last nerve!!

We also have two new deaths.
Sunday we found out our nephew passed away in his sleep suddenly
and our best friends son passed away in his sleep too. Not a good week at all.

Sorry to hear, Kathy. :(

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Aaahhh.
My dad had a great time drinking in his 20s, unfortunately he got in a fight which led to him being bottled leaving a scar on his cheek.

He had a sad childhood so it’s kind of effected him abit. I have a picture somewhere of him standing in the rain with his back turned to the camera looking at the rubble of the flats he grew up in.:(

And your right, the Scots love to drink however you will never find my family doing that. All the family accept my dad are very religious.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
And he would cry those heart wrenching tears and scream, Mommy don't leave me, I need you. I had to walk away and not look back. It was very difficult.

Awful. And I bet the moment you were gone, he’d turn around and start playing!
Daughter cried a lot when she started kindergarten at 2.5 (the worst decision of my life!) and then school at 5 in a language she didn’t know.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Sigh. Shame Yvonne it never stops does it. Maybe it would be better to switch to paying monthly that way you can pick up problems quicker.
I had the solar repair guy out yesterday and as soon as he opened the cover on the older of the two inverters one could see what's wrong. There are two blue capacitor-looking gizmos soldered to connectors on the ceiling of the inverter box. One of them was hanging at an angle and upon closer inspection you could see that it was only hanging on by one soldering point instead of four. So that inverter hadn't been working for quite a while. As luck would have it, the unit was 10 years old (warranty age) in May of this year. Also, they don't stock that part anymore, so I need a new inverter. Looking on the bright side, the new inverter will be guaranteed for 10 years and my existing solar panels are supposed to be good for 20 years, that means the new inverter and the solar panels will run out of warranty/steam at the same time! Oh well. in 10 years I'll be 91, and probably not around anymore anyway!