COLD DARK ROOM

Ben02

Location (City and/or State)
Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Nice! What's the level now? I am not so friendly with UK education system... :confused:
Even though I’m still in education, @JoesMum could probably explain it better. It goes Primary/junior school, Secondary/High school, college (starting from the age of 16) to university if you want to.:)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Nice! What's the level now? I am not so friendly with UK education system... :confused:
I can only explain England. The system is very similar in Wales. Slightly different in Scotland and I have no idea about Northern Ireland.

English Education ages:
A child starts school in the academic year (1 Sept to 31 Aug) in which they become 5 years old and start in Reception class

Primary School
Age 5: Reception - Early Years Foundation Stage
Age 6-7: Years 1 & 2 - Key Stage 1
Age 8-11: Years 3-6 - Key Stage 2

Secondary School
Age 12-14: Years 7-9 - Key Stage 3
Age 15-16: Years 10&11 - Key Stage 4 (Public GCSE exams sat at the end of this stage as Ben did)

Post 16 - Further Education
Age 17-18: The English Education system allows this age group to leave school, but expects some element of education to continue for those that start work.

Years 12 & 13 - Key Stage 5 (Public A Level or International Baccalaureate exams or their equivalents sat at the end of this stage) Might be in a Secondary School, Sixth Form College or Further Education College. Ben is going to an FE College.

OR Apprenticeship OR Work with training

After that, you’re free to join the workforce or go on to:

Higher Education
Post 16 qualification at Key Stage 5 is required to enter University to study for a Bachelors Degree.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Can imagine!
So I will wait for some britain people... :p

I had a job proposal in South Africa but I couldn't due to my wife situation. We just arrived in France and she just restarted her studies in apprenticeship. I think high schools aren't free there, right?
No, Schooling here is not free. It also depends on which area you stay and what school your kids go to, that will determine the cost of the schooling as well.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
No, Schooling here is not free. It also depends on which area you stay and what school your kids go to, that will determine the cost of the schooling as well.

State school education is free in the UK to age 18.

There are a large number of private schools across the UK where parents can pay fees if they choose. Including famous ones like Eton and Harrow.

In England and Wales, universities charge tuition fees, capped at £9000 per year, to home students. In Scotland, their degrees are free of charge to Scottish students.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Education is free in the UK to age 18.

In England and Wales, universities charge tuition fees, capped at £9000 per year, to home students. In Scotland, their degrees are free of charge to Scottish students.
So lucky. We pay right from creche all the way through their schooling years.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Whahaha. I used to like cooking when I did not have to do it everyday. Now it is just a chore. Sometimes I get a bee in my bonnet and feel like cooking, but most of the time I do it because no-one else will and we all have to eat. The worst part that I find, is thinking of what to eat everyday. I sometimes wish I still had my Mom making supper and then I could just come home and food would be ready on the table.

Haha, same here! I hate planning and loved it when my mom had it all under control. I wonder if she felt the same way about her mom, though. [emoji23]

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Good mornooning all. Everything passed off peacefully yesterday on my other forum, but we moderators will be on high alert for a while.

Lots of Charles I references on my Facebook feed. I’m friends with nerds and political scientists [emoji849] (excuse me for tautology).

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
oooohhh, There goes the diet out the window. Just leave the whole pie in corner No. 1. I just need to go and fetch some ice cream in corner 20, then I will be back to eat it.

Sounds like a complicated maneuver. You’ll burn lots of calories on the way. Just don’t step on a hedgehog.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
You are right, it’s like watching a gladiator fight in Ancient Rome. I’m not to fond of the gore but I like the adrenaline before a big jump scare:)

I don’t think the Colosseum blasted you with weird sounds effects or eerie music. Though geckos suddenly moving over your sandals may have been responsible for some of the big jumps. [emoji6]