COLD DARK ROOM

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Wifey was busy doing Thanksgiving prep work today. We made a scrumptious vegetarian butternut squash stew in the crockpot for tomorrow, and a very tasty Middle Eastern dessert called Knafeh.

Knafeh, kunafeh, konafa, all different ways of pronouncing one of the most popular desserts in the Middle East. Each country or region will have its own variation of fillings and flavours. The Levant is mostly known for their cheesy knafeh, crunchy shredded filo pastry filled with a mild cheese – usually akawi – and once cooked, it is drenched in the sweetest sugar syrup that’s lightly flavoured with rose or orange blossom water.

Here’s the masterpiece with crushed pistachios on top.

0AB0749F-0B44-40DA-9C93-24D8BCC25786.jpeg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Wifey was busy doing Thanksgiving prep work today. We made a scrumptious vegetarian butternut squash stew in the crockpot for tomorrow, and a very tasty Middle Eastern dessert called Knafeh.

Knafeh, kunafeh, konafa, all different ways of pronouncing one of the most popular desserts in the Middle East. Each country or region will have its own variation of fillings and flavours. The Levant is mostly known for their cheesy knafeh, crunchy shredded filo pastry filled with a mild cheese – usually akawi – and once cooked, it is drenched in the sweetest sugar syrup that’s lightly flavoured with rose or orange blossom water.

View attachment 283273
Oh yum!!! I’d love to steal some of your wife’s recipes!!! After cooking for so many years, it becomes repetitive and looses much of its enticement.. I did some pre- cooking today also.. the traditional dressing is put together in the fridge and a carrot cake is on the table. I cheated and bought a pre smoked turkey:) I will do the traditional ham and green bean casserole tomorrow. Add some home made fudge and sweet rolls and it will be a wrap:)... oh wait, also a sweet potato casserole..

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Oh yum!!! I’d love to steal some of your wife’s recipes!!! After cooking for so many years, it becomes repetitive and looses much of its enticement.. I did some pre- cooking today also.. the traditional dressing is put together in the fridge and a carrot cake is on the table. I cheated and bought a pre smoked turkey:) I will do the traditional ham and green bean casserole tomorrow. Add some home made fudge and sweet rolls and it will be a wrap:)... oh wait, also a sweet potato casserole..

Sounds good!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. I am very thankful to be apart of this forum and our special room. I bet Adam (@tidgy’s dad ) never dreamed he would bring so many people together when he made his first post! I hope you all have a wonderful day.

Attachments

• 031A31AA-D0B8-4FC1-A029-8DA2DAEA2E34.jpeg
    031A31AA-D0B8-4FC1-A029-8DA2DAEA2E34.jpeg
    420.2 KB · Views: 1

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. I am very thankful to be apart of this forum and our special room. I bet Adam (@tidgy’s dad ) never dreamed he would bring so many people together when he made his first post! I hope you all have a wonderful day.

Same to you Heather - Happy Thanksgiving to you & your family, as well as the extended TFO/CDR extended family.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

View attachment 283273
Yum!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the states. Good morning to everyone across the pond. Going to my brother's for dinner. I hope I can avoid the political conversation. He tried to bait me a few times last year. But I bit my tongue. :mad:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

View attachment 283273
That sounds like a wonderful 2nd day feast to recover from all the heavy foods of thanksgiving.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
You folks 'across the pond' who don't have "Thanksgiving" you're all welcome to come visit one of us and share our meal!
Amen to that. I only did an 11 pound fresh turkey and it's still too much for 2 people. I hate frozen leftovers. I'll make some turkey salad tomorrow and hopefully I can pawn some of it off on belated guests. I managed to get a new theme from Joe today for the cards. So I'm thankful. He brought many of his previous paintings to me from his art studio trying to get out of another one. Then once I inspired him he spent a few hours searching his IPad for more of the same theme. It's been really good for him and his art. Our family and even friends are loving it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Man o man do I ever wish Thanksgiving happened on every Thursday. I run errands and do grocery shopping on Thursday, and this morning there was NO traffic, the grocery store parking lot was so empty I was able to park right in front of the door to the store, the aisles in the store were free of people and clutter and there was NO line at the check out! I usually get home around 11a and this a.m. I was home by 9a. What a great shopping trip!!!! Puts me in a good mood for the rest of the day.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Man o man do I ever wish Thanksgiving happened on every Thursday. I run errands and do grocery shopping on Thursday, and this morning there was NO traffic, the grocery store parking lot was so empty I was able to park right in front of the door to the store, the aisles in the store were free of people and clutter and there was NO line at the check out! I usually get home around 11a and this a.m. I was home by 9a. What a great shopping trip!!!! Puts me in a good mood for the rest of the day.
Yep

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
No heavy foods here. Almost all vegetarian with the sweet knafeh to follow later.
That's the same with us. We're not vegans but we can't eat a lot of meat either. I like a cookbook from the 80's called "Diet for a small planet". Just for some really nice alternatives to having meat for protein.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the states. Good morning to everyone across the pond. Going to my brother's for dinner. I hope I can avoid the political conversation. He tried to bait me a few times last year. But I bit my tongue. :mad:
Happy Thanksgiving to you, Rose, and Opo too. Send a happy to Roses mom from me too when you can.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
That looks so scrumptious! But if I don't do an edible bird for Joe on Thanksgiving he will think he's being deprived. Any other day is ok. You aught to see the look I get for a game hen...on Thanksgiving and I've done that. 1 game hen...