COLD DARK ROOM

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
My personal opinion on feeding wildlife is complicated. Everyone one says they have a lack of habitat so they DO need help. In the winter especially if there's a lot of snow they go without. Old timers used to take their scraps to the back of their property to dump them. I'm sure they didn't last through the night. Also the government will give you grants in certain areas to plant suitable food for wildlife if you keep that area of your property for wildlife. With rabbits that's even more complicated. They have a finicky digestive system. They'll eat anything even if it's toxic to them and don't live very long in the wild. You also have to take into consideration wildlife laws where you are. I once was feeding a gull daily and found out later I could be fined and spend 6 months in jail. Luckily I just happened to read it in the newspaper. The question is...would I do it again???
Yikes! It is complicated in the last thing I want to do is do any harm to the wildlife. I’m gonna have to chew on that.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
And Top of the Mornin to ya'll.

It has been a very long time since I have been online in the tort forum. I have missed you guys but have at the same time been enjoying being under lock down. Staying at home and working from home was absolutely awesome. I could sleep late, get up in my jammies and then step straight into my office and start working. Then when I was not busy with work I was buy re-doing my pond and re-organizing my garden. I have also been helping beautify my complexes front garden which is a work in progress. But I have totally loved it.

I have been collecting empty wine bottles and have made the pond wall out of them. And am planing to make a wall around my outside tortoise enclosure with them as well.

There are far too many posts for me to go back and read them all, sorry about that. But I hope that everybody is doing okay and that all are safe and healthy still.

Here are a few pictures of my projects that I have been working on.

A Succulent Tortoise:

1593590288506.png

Pond:
1593590531326.png

And I finally finished the big pot plant:
1593590640923.png

Have a great day everyone.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

It has been a very long time since I have been online in the tort forum. I have missed you guys but have at the same time been enjoying being under lock down. Staying at home and working from home was absolutely awesome. I could sleep late, get up in my jammies and then step straight into my office and start working. Then when I was not busy with work I was buy re-doing my pond and re-organizing my garden. I have also been helping beautify my complexes front garden which is a work in progress. But I have totally loved it.

I have been collecting empty wine bottles and have made the pond wall out of them. And am planing to make a wall around my outside tortoise enclosure with them as well.

There are far too many posts for me to go back and read them all, sorry about that. But I hope that everybody is doing okay and that all are safe and healthy still.

A Succulent Tortoise:

View attachment 298871

Pond:
View attachment 298872

View attachment 298873

You're growin Pot???

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

A Succulent Tortoise:

View attachment 298871

Pond:
View attachment 298872

View attachment 298873

Hey Carol! I missed you... totally jealous over the wine bottle wall... that’s amazing! Your artistic talent is pretty special... the big pot looks awesome and so does your succulent tortoise! My sister gifted me with two of the tortoises for my birthday and I’m hoping to keep them alive... thy are adorable.. mine are not as full as yours but I’m thinking that they will grow and spread????

Well you have a great day and don’t stay gone so long please...

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

A Succulent Tortoise:

View attachment 298871

Pond:
View attachment 298872

View attachment 298873

Welcome baaaaaaaaack. We missed you.!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Hey Carol! I missed you... totally jealous over the wine bottle wall... that’s amazing! Your artistic talent is pretty special... the big pot looks awesome and so does your succulent tortoise! My sister gifted me with two of the tortoises for my birthday and I’m hoping to keep them alive... thy are adorable.. mine are not as full as yours but I’m thinking that they will grow and spread????

Well you have a great day and don’t stay gone so long please...
oooh, I would love to see your succulent tortoises. Mine is still getting established. So I am waiting for them to take and grow roots. Which means that it is not quite complete as yet. But I suppose I just need some patience. I am sure that yours will grow and spread. If they don't just take the little babies and poke a hole where there is a gap and insert the baby there. Eventually you will have a full one. I plan on making a very big one for the front of our complex. So happy days for me. Now that I am back at work (in the office) I don't have as much free time to do it. And I promise to try and not stay away so long. How are all of your torts, horses, chameleons and dogs doing? And how are the kids and hubby? All safe and sound hopefully.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yes and I recently read an article about the pangolins of China. How China put them even more protected since Covid19 because some scientists believe that the pangolins are how it became contagious between people. Interesting...but I also saw a food market with pigs right beside bats online in that little village. The market was really close to the lab blamed also. So ooo...
They’re pretty sure it was bats. But the Pangolin rumour is good news for the Pangolins :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

A Succulent Tortoise:

View attachment 298871

Pond:
View attachment 298872

View attachment 298873

Fantastic to not see you in again in here :)

I am currently drinking Rooibos tea... we got into it in New Zealand. It always sets me thinking of you weaning yourself off caffeine :)

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
They’re brought to the rescue from all over Kent and Sussex counties ... they fell out of nests, got caught by cats, were in a nest in a tree that got cut back... all sorts.

We try to release them back where they came from if it is safe. However, we have so many at this time of year the rescue prefers the, to go to gardens known to be safer, where there are feeders and where that species already lives.

There are some birds I would take because they’re not common in my garden. Starlings, I get loads... House Sparrows only one or two.

The woodpeckers we released that day were dependent on our feeders for the first day and then gradually started to find their feet and come back less frequentl. We still see them from time to time, but they’re already much less happy to see people which is good :)
That has to be a very satisfying experience.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
This is what you said, "And I finally finished the big pot plant". So what else am I gonna think? lol, I know what you meant, you need to hang around more
It is all good. And yeah I wish I had a Pot plant that size. Although to be honest I would not know how to harvest it.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Fantastic to not see you in again in here :)

I am currently drinking Rooibos tea... we got into it in New Zealand. It always sets me thinking of you weaning yourself off caffeine :)
Oops. Umm I did not stay that way? I have been back on coffee for a while now. I decided to go back on my pain meds and as a result I am now managing 20000 steps. I actually think of you walking everywhere and your poscards while I am walking.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm in Oklahoma and people are freaking out because they are starting to see bears, but the thing is, we've always had black bear. And cougar, but all of a sudden its a huge new thing. Uh, ok lol so I definitely believe bears are there even if locals dont. I almost wouldn't doubt anything these days. We are also starting to get alligators back here and apparently we have fresh water jellyfish in one of our lakes ?‍♀️

I remember going to my great grandpa's in the 'mountains' here( thats a big hill for every one else ?) and one night we woke up to a loud bang like something hitting the shed roof and we went to go look and my gpa said no, its the cougar again, You can't go out there. WHAT!?!? ?‍♀️?
It was probably 1980 when I saw IT cousin bar. My sons were little guys. I lived along the Ohio river on the Ohio side. There was a wonderful cliff from one of the foothills as part of my yard. One day I was just minding my own business cleaning and airing out the home when...every bird in my back yard was going nuts. And then they got totally quiet. I decided to just watch and see what they all had been talking about. Well....low and behold eeeeek there was a bar walking out of a cave in the cliff. I didn't call the police on him until he tried to get into my home. Of course they thought I was nuts. The elderly couple next door didn't. They'd seen the bear or tracks also. And I promise this is a true story. At that time, all information is there are no bears in Ohio.?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Oops. Umm I did not stay that way? I have been back on coffee for a while now. I decided to go back on my pain meds and as a result I am now managing 20000 steps. I actually think of you walking everywhere and your poscards while I am walking.
Oh Carol. Give up the caffeine again. Come on. You know you can do it! You improved so much when you were off it ;)

Glad to hear you are moving so well though :)