COLD DARK ROOM

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
After a rather nice, cool but sunny day yesterday, we woke up to a sharp, col n very steady rain. All morning long, cold rain. It’s almost 1500 here now and it’s clearing, with the sun breaking through. Sun sets in about two hours.

Took one of our pumpkins & cleaned out the seeds - salted & baked. Sully got the rest. ??

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My son-in-law, Jim, bought a beauty of a bike from his dentist last Friday. Dentist had spent lots o bucks making the bike purdy, but it had been 'non op' or two years because he just didn't have any spare time, so he decided to sell. Jim got the bike for an excellent price. The picture doesn't do it justice:

View attachment 310288

Jim has a Victory m.c. and he's been riding it to work weekly. He works in the San Francisco Bay Area, about 200 miles from home, and he stays there during the week and comes home at the week end. When he mentioned he planned to ride the new bike to work Sunday night I had a bad feeling about it, but didn't say anything.

So on his way to work from the motel Monday a.m. a car pulled out in front of him. He slammed on the brakes, skidded, and had to lay the bike down. It came to rest on top of him and passers by had to lift it off.

He ended up with a broken humorous and a dented gas tank:

View attachment 310290
View attachment 310289

And the crazy guy went on in to work after the E.R. and even finished off working the whole week. He can't button up his trousers, but he can drive the plumbing truck and handle his tools! (but you should see him when he has a cold or flu)
Poor guy. People aren't really careful driving around motorcycle riders. The accidents usually are caused by cars not giving the motorcycle riders enough distancing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Poor guy. People aren't really careful driving around motorcycle riders. The accidents usually are caused by cars not giving the motorcycle riders enough distancing.
And since Jim avoided crashing into the guy it's considered a one car accident and the car guy's insurance doesn't have to pay.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
And since Jim avoided crashing into the guy it's considered a one car accident and the car guy's insurance doesn't have to pay.

I hope he's looking into his options and not accepting that. If there's clear cause and effect, he can make the other guy pay. Just have to be able to prove it. Maybe see if there's cameras nearby

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yep. The rule of thumb for the distance between your vehicle and any other vehicle is at least 5 times the length of your own vehicle. I don't understand why it's either not taught or why people don't follow that. It's not just for their own safety but for others also including bike riders. I'll keep him in my prayers.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
After a rather nice, cool but sunny day yesterday, we woke up to a sharp, col n very steady rain. All morning long, cold rain. It’s almost 1500 here now and it’s clearing, with the sun breaking through. Sun sets in about two hours.

Took one of our pumpkins & cleaned out the seeds - salted & baked. Sully got the rest. ??
Happy birthday to wifey. I wonder what Sapphire would think about a little sliver of pumpkin. He can't resist a little piece of zucchini even with his vitamins on it.?

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Yep. The rule of thumb for the distance between your vehicle and any other vehicle is at least 5 times the length of your own vehicle. I don't understand why it's either not taught or why people don't follow that. It's not just for their own safety but for others also including bike riders. I'll keep him in my prayers.

Hard to maintain that distance if a vehicle doesnt see you & pulls out right in front of you. Folks are all in a hurry, dont really look, & often don’t see a bike.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hard to maintain that distance if a vehicle doesnt see you & pulls out right in front of you. Folks are all in a hurry, dont really look, & often don’t see a bike.
Yes. Several family members ride motorcycles. The car driver is at fault for causing it but if the motorcycle driver hits the car and ends up being roadkill. That is a bad way to prove assured clear distance wasn't maintained.?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good morning!!! It’s a cold grey Monday morning here.... I’m sure it will be bright and warm in just a couple of hours.. I’ll spend the day preparing the house for my absence. Jess , Cinder & I will be Houston bound in the wee hours of the morning . They are supposed to call today and let us know what time to arrive. Jess will likely go into surgery for 8-10hours... The hospital is a specialized place for severe orthopedic issues and recovery and And they have modernized technology available.. we don’t know how long we will have to stay yet..we are hopeful, nervous, scared, & excited all at the same time!
Wishing everyone a great day!!!

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Good morning!!! It’s a cold grey Monday morning here.... I’m sure it will be bright and warm in just a couple of hours.. I’ll spend the day preparing the house for my absence. Jess , Cinder & I will be Houston bound in the wee hours of the morning . They are supposed to call today and let us know what time to arrive. Jess will likely go into surgery for 8-10hours... The hospital is a specialized place for severe orthopedic issues and recovery and And they have modernized technology available.. we don’t know how long we will have to stay yet..we are hopeful, nervous, scared, & excited all at the same time!
We'll be thinking of you and Jess. Warmest, most healing and calm in thoughts. I'm sure Cinder will do an excellent job being supportive. ?

Have a great day!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

I AM SENDING YOU BOTH EVERYTHING I GOT!!!!! ????????????????????????❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
??.....?????????????
I hope ALL will go well..
wish I could be there to hold your hand.
Hug your daughter
And clean your house for you while you’re gone. ?
Be safe. ❤️
best of luck!!!!!

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!

We all have our fingers crossed! Best of luck traveling your & Jess’ way.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Thank you all! I’m sure I will have plenty of time to chat over the next few days. Mean while, I guess I’m going to cut up some of these Halloween pumpkins and let my “boys” put them to good use! Maybe I can get some good tortoise pumpkin face pics ?

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Pumpkin Project ll continues. Seeds turned out great. We simmered up some wedges ‘til just soft. Seasoned with various spices & salts, crisped up some bacon. Combined into our cast iron skillet. So tasty. Usually, I think “halloween” pumpkins aren’t grown for their taste, but this one really tasted great. Can’t beat 15 lbs of pumpkin for $2.00. We have 4 or 5 to enjoy. As does Sully, the birds and our red worm composters.

Sully benefits as well. Yesterday, Sully had the innards topped with a cup of Mazuri.

Today, a home-grown hibiscus flower.

E580F1CE-8AE4-49D7-A11D-CB7CC2407996.jpeg

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Speaking of Wintertime feeding regimes, we normally order from Mazuri.com but I now see that CHEWY is carrying the large 5M21 for $44.00. Buy one extra item and it’s free shipping for 25# bag of Mazuri. Checking our local feed store to see their prices. Mazuri has the 5M21 for $38.00 plus $12.00 for shipping.

Our Local Purina feed store can get it.....they think @ $30.00 (no shipping)..... calling us back with the delivery date and cost.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
My son-in-law, Jim, bought a beauty of a bike from his dentist last Friday. Dentist had spent lots o bucks making the bike purdy, but it had been 'non op' or two years because he just didn't have any spare time, so he decided to sell. Jim got the bike for an excellent price. The picture doesn't do it justice:

View attachment 310288

Jim has a Victory m.c. and he's been riding it to work weekly. He works in the San Francisco Bay Area, about 200 miles from home, and he stays there during the week and comes home at the week end. When he mentioned he planned to ride the new bike to work Sunday night I had a bad feeling about it, but didn't say anything.

So on his way to work from the motel Monday a.m. a car pulled out in front of him. He slammed on the brakes, skidded, and had to lay the bike down. It came to rest on top of him and passers by had to lift it off.

He ended up with a broken humorous and a dented gas tank:

View attachment 310290
View attachment 310289

And the crazy guy went on in to work after the E.R. and even finished off working the whole week. He can't button up his trousers, but he can drive the plumbing truck and handle his tools! (but you should see him when he has a cold or flu)
Oh that's to bad ?
Hope he heals fast.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Pumpkin Project ll continues. Seeds turned out great. We simmered up some wedges ‘til just soft. Seasoned with various spices & salts, crisped up some bacon. Combined into our cast iron skillet. So tasty. Usually, I think “halloween” pumpkins aren’t grown for their taste, but this one really tasted great. Can’t beat 15 lbs of pumpkin for $2.00. We have 4 or 5 to enjoy. As does Sully, the birds and our red worm composters.

Sully benefits as well. Yesterday, Sully had the innards topped with a cup of Mazuri.

Today, a home-grown hibiscus flower.

View attachment 310337
Yum that sounds great!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hello everyone, I will be going to my local polling site tomorrow.
I am going to intimidate anyone who is trying to intimidate the voters.
I have been to jail before, it doesn't bother me!
I hope they are willing to go to jail.
?