COLD DARK ROOM

TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
Those are such wonderful pictures. I've always heard that zebras can't be tamed though. If that's true they probably just didn't care cause you looked harmless enough šŸ¤Ŗ and knew they could take you on and win. Good luck with your family get together šŸ¤— I've found it pays to just sit and listen around "that" then get the heck out of dodge. And enjoy the rest of your day.šŸ˜Š
Thanks! The first time we walked by we were like :"Wow, Zebras!" They were about 4m away from us. When we walked back we were so tired we just walked past them like it was another normal thing. We walked through and past them, and they almost looked surprisedšŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
This was the first time we walked past them, they just stared at us20220501_124542.jpg
I can now confirm that the gathering went well. We went in, ate some food, went outside a bit and out. Before we left we sang happy birthday. It's a massive tradition in Afrikaans culture. The verses also feel special, intresting that different languages have different versions. In Afrikaans it goes
Veels geluk liewe *****, omdat jy verjaar, mag die Here jou seƫn en nog baie jare spaar!
*The translation is
Many congrats dear *****, because it's your birthday, may the Lord bless you and spare you for many more years!
Not sure why I'm sharing it, it makes me feel warm so I might as well.
I hope your day was good atleast @Cathie G!

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thanks! The first time we walked by we were like :"Wow, Zebras!" They were about 4m away from us. When we walked back we were so tired we just walked past them like it was another normal thing. We walked through and past them, and they almost looked surprisedšŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
This was the first time we walked past them, they just stared at usView attachment 344109
It would be awesome to me to be so blessed, to get to see zebras in the wild, just enjoying their lives. Even if it's a sanctuary. I've only seen them in a zoo.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
This was the first time we walked past them, they just stared at usView attachment 344109
I can now confirm that the gathering went well. We went in, ate some food, went outside a bit and out. Before we left we sang happy birthday. It's a massive tradition in Afrikaans culture. The verses also feel special, intresting that different languages have different versions. In Afrikaans it goes
Veels geluk liewe *****, omdat jy verjaar, mag die Here jou seƫn en nog baie jare spaar!
*The translation is
Many congrats dear *****, because it's your birthday, may the Lord bless you and spare you for many more years!
Not sure why I'm sharing it, it makes me feel warm so I might as well.
I hope your day was good atleast @Cathie G!
That's a wonderful birthday blessing. And I've found we all have a choice in our minds each day. I choose to have a good one everyday if it's the last thing I do šŸ˜‰ I admit it. Sometimes it takes a little effort šŸ¤£. But hay I woke up so it's a good good day šŸ˜Š. One of our favorite birthday songs is for that other side. Even if you're on the right side. It goes like this. "Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. You look like a monkey and belong in a zoo šŸ˜

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
We just had a downpour!!! A deluge!!! With high winds going backwards from the usual???? And here I thought it was May not March or April.šŸ‘€ My monster Crab Apple tree had just a few blossoms this year that have long sense drifted away, so I won't be forever cleaning up and canning crab apples this year.woohoošŸ¤—then I got to hear thunder, off in the background, which I love.šŸ˜Š I'm not crazy about the high winds though and they always knock out the satellite TV. .. but that's ok. I'd rather listen to the radio anyway šŸ˜‰ Sapphire is on the move today.šŸ¢ for his more active time of the year. He's going to the spots he uses in his indoor enclosure for late spring, summer, and fall when he can't be outside. Despite various enclosures, they've all been in the same area of the room for 15 years this month šŸ¤—šŸ„°šŸ¢ I'm about to celebrate my anniversary with my little guy on the 18th.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon evening all, it's been quite a nice day here so Tilly and I had a good walk which my knee is now paying for but it was worth it to be out walking under the trees and along a river. Can't believe how many people I spoke to today who all stopped to see Tilly and make a fuss of her. It seems she is the cutest pup in the world!!!šŸ„°
She has gone home for a couple of days now because my nephew is there, but I will be picking her up for another walk in the morning while he is working from home and can't give her the attention she needs - that's when she would get up to mischief!!
Lola also benefitted from a bumper collection of fresh dandelions etc., and has been enjoying having free access to his sunny spots - while Tilly is away Lola will play!
I hope you're all having a good Wednesday.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Unusual plant - what is it?
Hi Lyn, it is a Jack-in-the-pulpit, Arisaema triphyllum. . . I was looking for the Variety, but the tag is missing in that pot. I have several variety's, this was the first to Bloom. Not sure if you have heard of a Corpse Flower, they have a somewhat stinky scent (stench)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Guess I should have asked for help carrying it...heck!View attachment 344234View attachment 344235

Yep. Been there, done that. I few years back one of our neighbors was tossing away one of those three wheeled baby buggies. I acquired it and use it to move all of my bags of mulch around & heavy pots around the yard. Even buckets of water. Ive modified it to the needs of a gardener vice baby.

7D8A09EF-2973-478F-85DE-8C9428B48724.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Hi Lyn, it is a Jack-in-the-pulpit, Arisaema triphyllum. . . I was looking for the Variety, but the tag is missing in that pot. I have several variety's, this was the first to Bloom. Not sure if you have heard of a Corpse Flower, they have a somewhat stinky scent (stench)
Those Jack in the Pulpit are nice. I was out on a woodland trail yesterday at a local environmental research facility where Iā€™m training to staff the Visitor Center. There were many of these Jack in the Pulpits flowering (yellow) and we also found many areas with wild orchids (not yet in bloom). Iā€™m pretty sure we pretty much only saw Ladyā€™s Slipper.
Roughly 48 different types of orchids grow wild in Maryland. Who knew?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you!
Yes I have heard of a Corpse Flower but never seen one.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon/evening all,
I met my cousin today to take Tilly for a nice walk along a river. It was hard work!! She's normally pretty good on her lead but there were a lot of other people out with their dogs which excited Tilly and she was pretty hyper about all the attention she was getting from walkers and other dogs. She is going to need some strict training - I'll be taking her somewhere quieter tomorrow!
It was nice to see my cousin and have a good natter. We sat on my brother's memorial bench for a while which is in a lovely spot overlooking the river; it's hard to believe we lost him 2 years ago this weekend.šŸ˜¢
I hope you're all having a good Thursday.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Those Jack in the Pulpit are nice. I was out on a woodland trail yesterday at a local environmental research facility where Iā€™m training to staff the Visitor Center. There were many of these Jack in the Pulpits flowering (yellow) and we also found many areas with wild orchids (not yet in bloom). Iā€™m pretty sure we pretty much only saw Ladyā€™s Slipper.
Roughly 48 different types of orchids grow wild in Maryland. Who knew?

Working at a visitor centre and the training sounds interesting . What sort of duties will it involve?
It might be a good outlet to sell some of your wood craft too - especially at Xmas!!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Working at a visitor centre and the training sounds interesting . What sort of duties will it involve?
It might be a good outlet to sell some of your wood craft too - especially at Xmas!!

Visitor Center Information desk officer. Probably a bit of everything, but mostly providing a broad brush of information on the background of this old (now restored) mansion & plantation & the current scientific research studies that are underway. Itā€™s part of the greater ā€œSmithsonian Institutionā€. Facility is the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center.