COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Daughter is doing OKish. Her ankle is recovering but a cold after her covid gave her sinusitis which triggered a return of the Labyrinthitis (Vertigo) she suffered in 2020. It’s been a miserable couple of years for her,

JoesDad and I are currently in Paris for the tennis at Roland Garros so you need a few postcards from there too

The Eiffel Tower
2CBD2446-E7C6-407B-90BF-4DC4C4BB323B.jpeg
The delightful tranquil gardens at the Musée Albert Kahn
59138F8C-B2A2-4378-8A7F-F86BB83E69BB.jpeg
Les Invalides
A24783F9-E349-4DB6-9F72-332C49AD8F99.jpeg

The Thinker sculpture by Rodin at the Rodin Museum
2973C9CB-A08F-4818-86FA-23E9CCC8D3B3.jpeg
The Kiss by Rodin

B51ACBEE-B2AB-4870-9EF2-A1A10C623011.jpeg
Despair by Rodin (or as I like to think of it Man With Cramp 😂)
6EEB6D3B-3A4C-44C8-A099-4C971DC9F436.jpeg
Girl with a flowered hat by Rodin
7F66BE82-ABB8-4070-BBE3-5F1E0D0197D9.jpeg

And some tennis
7AA5042D-6814-49F9-8AB5-FD90A75E591D.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok, It's time for 'The Collective" to put your thinking caps on and give me some advice.

My garage is a metal building, which has a metal roof. You've all seen the individual metal panels. . . they're flimsy. The garage is directly under the very large mulberry tree, which means in autumn leaves have to be cleaned off the roof and in spring caterpillar-like floofies have to be cleaned off. If these items are left on the metal roof it rusts and eventually rots through.

This has never been a problem. I've been able to hop up and down the ladder with ease, but ever since I broke my kneecap and wrist, I haven't been able to bounce back, and I've finally become an old person.

I've tried to find a handyman to do the job for me but no one is interested. I've asked Angie's list (now just Angie), the Yellow Pages, Yelp, Nextdoor, I don't know where else to look. That's where you come in.

I'm uncomfortable just asking Joe Blow, neighbor, acquaintance because of the liability if they fall off the ladder, so I need someone with insurance for this type of thing.

I looked into buying a scaffold, but they're not tall enough. The garage is about 20' tall at the peak. So you're up the ladder a good 15' or so.

I've done what I can, but can't reach the middle - not with the snow rake, not with the garden raked taped to a swimming pool net pole and not with my 200 mph leaf blower. HELP!

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Ok, It's time for 'The Collective" to put your thinking caps on and give me some advice.

My garage is a metal building, which has a metal roof. You've all seen the individual metal panels. . . they're flimsy. The garage is directly under the very large mulberry tree, which means in autumn leaves have to be cleaned off the roof and in spring caterpillar-like floofies have to be cleaned off. If these items are left on the metal roof it rusts and eventually rots through.

This has never been a problem. I've been able to hop up and down the ladder with ease, but ever since I broke my kneecap and wrist, I haven't been able to bounce back, and I've finally become an old person.

I've tried to find a handyman to do the job for me but no one is interested. I've asked Angie's list (now just Angie), the Yellow Pages, Yelp, Nextdoor, I don't know where else to look. That's where you come in.

I'm uncomfortable just asking Joe Blow, neighbor, acquaintance because of the liability if they fall off the ladder, so I need someone with insurance for this type of thing.

I looked into buying a scaffold, but they're not tall enough. The garage is about 20' tall at the peak. So you're up the ladder a good 15' or so.

I've done what I can, but can't reach the middle - not with the snow rake, not with the garden raked taped to a swimming pool net pole and not with my 200 mph leaf blower. HELP!
You could get a roof rake? I see some of them get up to 30ft, but they're a bit expensive, around +$100. How long is the swimming pool net pole?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hey everybody! I haven’t come here in a long time. I hope y’all and your tortoises are healthy and happy and that covid hasn’t been too hard. Also have you heard of a return of the app by any chance?
Hello 🤗 I'm so glad to not see you 😊 somehow that doesn't sound right 😂 hahaha 🤗

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
A few more from Shetland which was remote, windy and fabulous!
View attachment 345325View attachment 345326View attachment 345327View attachment 345328View attachment 345329View attachment 345330View attachment 345331

View attachment 345325
This bird is a proper rarity. A Bluethroat that should have been in Siberia. We were incredibly lucky to be the ones that spotted it while on the island of Fetlar.

View attachment 345326 This is a Broch. About 2500 uears ild, it’s a defended building probably lived in by farmers.View attachment 345327
Shetland is so remote some of the creatures have evolved into their own subspecies. This is a Shetland Wren - a close relation of the European Wren we get at home.
View attachment 345328
Gannets at Noss cliffs.
View attachment 345329View attachment 345330

Britain’s most northerly everything is on the Island of Unst. Britain’s most northerly toilets have to be anchored down well due to the winds. Britain’s most northerly wind station blew away not long ago during winds that exceeded hurricane force!
View attachment 345331
Hello 🤗 I just knew that was you and sure enough, as I was reading posts backwards, it was😁. Beautiful pictures but my favorite one is of the Shetland Wren.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Morning everyone! Have a good day!View attachment 345319
It's been a busy while over here. The butterfly in the image above is a blue pansy or an eyed pansy butterfly. Anyway have a good day!
Happy birthday to you 😊 and have a wonderful 🎂 day today, tomorrow, and the next and next ...🎉

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Here is a pretty long roof rake. 24 foot extension - light weight, 24 inches across, with wheels that glide along the roof. You might have to wing a few things, but it’s a start.

Roof Razor offers a new way to clear your roof safely and without damage to shingles. This model features a 24-inch-wide "razor," that can easily cut through even packed snow up to four feet deep, which is then guided easily to the ground with Roof Razor's patented slide. Included bungee attachment ensures snow is broken up before falling, helping to protect shrubs and plants. Lightweight aluminum and wheeled design make this a durable, easy-to-maneuver tool that's built to last for seasons after season. With Roof Razor, you'll begin clearing your roof faster and safer than ever before.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

I keep thinking that maybe a reptile medicine college student would really want to help you for pay for credits and such. All of that kind of work is relevant to the care of a reptile. Have them sign a contract that they aren't allowed to sue you. If that's a real legal possibility. I've always wanted that for you. You would be the boss and pass your knowledge on.🤗

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You could get a roof rake? I see some of them get up to 30ft, but they're a bit expensive, around +$100. How long is the swimming pool net pole?
My snow rake IS a roof rake. The pole extends as long as is required, however, I'm not strong enough to manhandle it when it gets out that long.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
A few more from Shetland which was remote, windy and fabulous!
View attachment 345325View attachment 345326View attachment 345327View attachment 345328View attachment 345329View attachment 345330View attachment 345331

View attachment 345325
This bird is a proper rarity. A Bluethroat that should have been in Siberia. We were incredibly lucky to be the ones that spotted it while on the island of Fetlar.

View attachment 345326 This is a Broch. About 2500 uears ild, it’s a defended building probably lived in by farmers.View attachment 345327
Shetland is so remote some of the creatures have evolved into their own subspecies. This is a Shetland Wren - a close relation of the European Wren we get at home.
View attachment 345328
Gannets at Noss cliffs.
View attachment 345329View attachment 345330

Britain’s most northerly everything is on the Island of Unst. Britain’s most northerly toilets have to be anchored down well due to the winds. Britain’s most northerly wind station blew away not long ago during winds that exceeded hurricane force!
View attachment 345331
Love the Pictures of the birds....

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Throw a rope over the roof to pull the rake up so you don't have to push the pole around

Just seems very odd to me that there isnt one “handy man” in the area who could use the already provided “snow rake” & give it all a good cleaning.

I have & use a fiberglass extension pole pruner that goes up 20 plus ft. and it’s pretty easy to use. In this case at Yvonne’s the weight of the pole rests on the roof, so it just needs to be scrubbed up & down.

Is it a lazy thing? No one wants to take on a job? A California thing? What?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just seems very odd to me that there isnt one “handy man” in the area who could use the already provided “snow rake” & give it all a good cleaning.

I have & use a fiberglass extension pole pruner that goes up 20 plus ft. and it’s pretty easy to use. In this case at Yvonne’s the weight of the pole rests on the roof, so it just needs to be scrubbed up & down.

Is it a lazy thing? No one wants to take on a job? A California thing? What?
I have to lift the rake up over the leaves to get behind them, then the weight of the rake just slides them downhill and off the roof. With the pole extended far enough to reach it's very heavy to lift over, and don't forget, I'm an 83 year old woman on a ladder about 15 feet off the ground.

I don't understand it either. . . a job is a job, right? Maybe it's not worth their while.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Does anyone here recognize this flower? Joe brought me another plant from his adult program. Every time I have time to go there the lady that runs their "little" gardening thing isn't available. This little flower bloomed overnight.😊

Attachments

• IMG_20220530_141916870.jpg
    IMG_20220530_141916870.jpg
    635.9 KB · Views: 3

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Does anyone here recognize this flower? Joe brought me another plant from his adult program. Every time I have time to go there the lady that runs their "little" gardening thing isn't available. This little flower bloomed overnight.😊
Here's a side view. With a bud.IMG_20220530_164020462.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I have to lift the rake up over the leaves to get behind them, then the weight of the rake just slides them downhill and off the roof. With the pole extended far enough to reach it's very heavy to lift over, and don't forget, I'm an 83 year old woman on a ladder about 15 feet off the ground.

I don't understand it either. . . a job is a job, right? Maybe it's not worth their while.

🤷‍♂️ Just seems like an easy job for a handyman needing a few bucks.

Maybe a “Clean Your Gutters” company might do it…..

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Looks like your basic Impatiens.

Well then for once that woman didn't send me another plant that I don't know what it is. Thank you 😊 I knew you'd know.🤗 How's that project coming along.... I'm running out of patience 🙃