COLD DARK ROOM

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I got another video of the strange little hummingbird species I have here. Probably a girl.but she's just such a wallflower. Dull green and grey drab color. Her belly is whiteish. I've actually watched up close in my backyard to see what color she is
View attachment 347628
. She's not a shiny little jewel except that SHE is a hummingbird. I've never seen one like her before.

Looks like a female Ruby-Throated HB, which are the most common there in Ohio. But you guys do have a few types there.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Looks like a female Ruby-Throated HB, which are the most common there in Ohio. But you guys do have a few types there.

I keep trying to find her in pictures but I can't. She also has a white and black stripe along the bottom of her tail. She could possibly be a juvenile but she is camera shy. This morning, if my camera was out I could have gotten a full on long video of her up close. But it's like she knows it's there and just plays around on the other side. I really don't think it's a Ruby throated but I really don't care what kind it is. I have a little blessing in my yard throughout the day. This morning I was calling her a little brat though. She always manages to avoid that camera 😁... I'm sneaky though and patient. I will shoot her eventually ☺️

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon all,
Weather still overcast, showery and cooler but I love it!!
The nasty neighbours have gone away which also means a break for me from the noise and worrying about what they are going to get up to next. A very welcome breathing space indeed!

Lola and I celebrated our 8th anniversary with TFO yesterday. What a lot I've learned in that time! It means nothing to Lola but little does he know that it's because of all the experienced members of TFO pointing me in the right direction that he enjoys the lovely life he has. I can't believe it's been 8 years since he adopted me - doesn't time fly?

I hope everyone is well and enjoying a good weekend so far.
TTFN

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I keep trying to find her in pictures but I can't. She also has a white and black stripe along the bottom of her tail. She could possibly be a juvenile but she is camera shy. This morning, if my camera was out I could have gotten a full on long video of her up close. But it's like she knows it's there and just plays around on the other side. I really don't think it's a Ruby throated but I really don't care what kind it is. I have a little blessing in my yard throughout the day. This morning I was calling her a little brat though. She always manages to avoid that camera 😁... I'm sneaky though and patient. I will shoot her eventually ☺️

Here, unfortunately, we only have the Ruby-Throated hummers. So that makes the ID a no brainer. The males will hang out near the feeders & scare other males away. The RT males have that bright red irridescent throat, the females drab gray/white.

Like you said, either way, it makes no difference. Nice that they are feeding at your feeder. I cleaned our 5 out & refilled yesterday.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Here, unfortunately, we only have the Ruby-Throated hummers. So that makes the ID a no brainer. The males will hang out near the feeders & scare other males away. The RT males have that bright red irridescent throat, the females drab gray/white.

Like you said, either way, it makes no difference. Nice that they are feeding at your feeder. I cleaned our 5 out & refilled yesterday.
Wow, 5 Feeders, I have 3, One in front that is emptied quickly, and two in Back about 30 feet apart, to make it harder for the dominant Male to "Hog" both feeders. The hummers will sit in a adjacent tree waiting till the male is not around then dive in, get a slurp, and exit, before the male is any the wiser.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

I did get a video of her back today. I only want one more of her back and front and then I'm going to move the camera and quit bugging her 😃. She is getting a little used to the camera so it won't be long. I'll get it.
View attachment 1658574944696.mp4

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I did get a video of her back today. I only want one more of her back and front and then I'm going to move the camera and quit bugging her 😃. She is getting a little used to the camera so it won't be long. I'll get it.
View attachment 347716
But I'll bet you have other hummingbirds in your state. Just like here with occidentals. Your yard is so beautiful, I can see why you get them and the Ruby throated just happened to be the ones that took over. I finally found a site with pictures of females. Mine is probably Ruby throated but the descriptions are still undecided as to a red throat on the adult females. This one never has that but that could just be what happens in that little family that keeps coming from year to year.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
The nasty neighbours have gone away which also means a break for me from the noise and worrying about what they are going to get up to next. A very welcome breathing space indeed!

Lola and I celebrated our 8th anniversary with TFO yesterday. What a lot I've learned in that time! It means nothing to Lola but little does he know that it's because of all the experienced members of TFO pointing me in the right direction that he enjoys the lovely life he has. I can't believe it's been 8 years since he adopted me - doesn't time fly?

TTFN
Glad you're enjoying the weather, Lyn.
Neighbours can be very annoying. Glad they're gone. I have had similar neighbours from the beginning of July. A couple with two children are here from the Gulf. They stay up all night long, playing, jumping, screaming and so on, till 2am and sometimes 3am. This keeps me wide awake all night long. (I might inform the POLICE, as the porter wasn't able to do much).
Happy anniversary Lyn and Lola!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

TTFN
It started out sooo hot today. The backyard in the sun was around 103°f until I put up Sapphire's beach umbrella. Then it dropped to about 95°. Well then.... all heck broke loose.😁 A storm blew in. The temperature actually dropped 20° in a few minutes. And lower as it poured cats and dogs 😁!!! and dropped to 68°. In the meantime I had battened down the hatches. It was so windy I laid the umbrella on the ground and brought the hummingbird feeder inside and Sapphire. But in the meantime 😃 this little guy showed up again 😂 second visit. It didn't take him long to learn how to get my seed stacks for the woodpecker.😜IMG_20220723_124852473.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
It started out sooo hot today. The backyard in the sun was around 103°f until I put up Sapphire's beach umbrella. Then it dropped to about 95°. Well then.... all heck broke loose.😁 A storm blew in. The temperature actually dropped 20° in a few minutes. And lower as it poured cats and dogs 😁!!! and dropped to 68°. In the meantime I had battened down the hatches. It was so windy I laid the umbrella on the ground and brought the hummingbird feeder inside and Sapphire. But in the meantime 😃 this little guy showed up again 😂 second visit. It didn't take him long to learn how to get my seed stacks for the woodpecker.😜View attachment 347722

Nice when these storms cool everything down.

A check of our radar & I see this storm moving our way.

F7E4D30B-9436-43FF-BC98-7E55E7F9E8B6.jpeg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Nice when these storms cool everything down.

A check of our radar & I see this storm moving our way.

View attachment 347723
I was freezing 😂 and well I still am 🤣 I have a blankie over my legs 😁 enjoy the remnants of our storm 🙏 I still pray any fallen trees are in the perfect place for you. 🙏😜

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I was freezing 😂 and well I still am 🤣 I have a blankie over my legs 😁 enjoy the remnants of our storm 🙏 I still pray any fallen trees are in the perfect place for you. 🙏😜

No storm 😪 We could have used a good overnight drenching. Forecast for even hotter day here. 🥵😡😩

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yep, hot & muggy. Summertime in #DELMARVA

View attachment 347738
Today was hot hot hot. The heat feels like temp was supposed to be 105°f. The truth is my back yard can go much higher than that in the sun. Even so to me yesterday was 10 times worse before the storm and evidently to Sapphire. He's still sitting in the sun. There's a breeze coming off the cold front coming our way 😁. Tomorrow is supposed to be cold and down in the 80's😜😁 I'll be freezing 😂🥶

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well... today 😁. My little game of hide and I seek with Sapp got crazy. I was almost ready to go get Joe's help 🤣. I know it's almost impossible for my little Russian to escape but I couldn't find him for the life of me. I found him under a large plantain plant that I searched about 3 times. Probably more.🙏🤔 my mind was racing because I hadn't locked him in. Children, raccoon, thief, ect. Ect.. ECT! Nope Sapphire is good at hiding.🙂

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hello everyone, I haven't had a chance to check in. Been crazy busy trying to see everyone here in Michigan Did have a enjoyable day on my sons boat. Not sure if it's a boat or a yacht. 🤪 It is 44' long, we were out in the Saginaw bay. If you look at the palm of your right hand. It would be the body of water between your hand and your thumb. Another day on the water tomorrow and then head back to Florida on Tues.
image000000 (10).jpg
Family get together Saturday!

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Hello everyone, I haven't had a chance to check in. Been crazy busy trying to see everyone here in Michigan Did have a enjoyable day on my sons boat. Not sure if it's a boat or a yacht. 🤪 It is 44' long, we were out in the Saginaw bay. If you look at the palm of your right hand. It would be the body of water between your hand and your thumb. Another day on the water tomorrow and then head back to Florida on Tues.
View attachment 347805
Ray, I love it! All the SMILES! Quite the clan! Looks like a very happy family you have there!🥰

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
View attachment 347805
Welcome back!

A wonderful pic. Thanks for sharing.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
View attachment 347805
What a lovely family 🤗 what's the little doggy's name 😊🤗