COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Good afternoon/evening all,
Temps bearable today - tomorrow will be the scorcher 🥵
Nothing exciting happening here today 🥱 but that's quite nice.
I hope you're all having a restful Sunday.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon/morning all,
Incredibly, temps reached 126.7F (52.6C) in my garden today - needless to say I've not spent much time outdoors. It's always been a sun trap but I've never known it that hot. Tomorrow is supposed to be even hotter - thank goodness it's only for a couple of days.
I hope it's a bit cooler and more comfortable in your part of the world.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Good afternoon/morning all,
Incredibly, temps reached 126.7F (52.6C) in my garden today - needless to say I've not spent much time outdoors. It's always been a sun trap but I've never known it that hot. Tomorrow is supposed to be even hotter - thank goodness it's only for a couple of days.
I hope it's a bit cooler and more comfortable in your part of the world.
Yes, I heard on the news that you folks are going to, or are having a scorcher there. Time to get the box fan out early in the morn to cool the house off before the temps rise...🥵

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yes, I heard on the news that you folks are going to, or are having a scorcher there. Time to get the box fan out early in the morn to cool the house off before the temps rise...🥵
Oh yes! I have a fan keeping the air moving indoors, It's almost 10pm here and still 80F.
I don't know how people live in countries which have prolonged high temps - my idea of hell.🥵👿

My sister and I were talking about the lack of rain and water shortages today and she told me about a reservoir in Las Vegas - Lake Mead - that is so low now, it exposed a barrel which had a body in it - a shot man. They've also found other human remains there too; it seems the mafia used to dump bodies there.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well... I finally got some pictures of the little dull green hummingbird that visits me 😍💕 I'm gonna try to post a couple.1658179322106.jpg1658179312674.jpghe or she didn't even pay attention to my apparatus to hang the camera ☺️

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Like this? You know me Ms Cathie, you know that my pics generally stink up the place...lol but I learned a LOT of light is required for high speed shots. More light helps with color too and it won't wash it out at high speeds. I think I took this at 10,000fps with my ZS-70 at Kerry's Aunts house on the lake several years ago.

1.jpg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Like this? You know me Ms Cathie, you know that my pics generally stink up the place...lol but I learned a LOT of light is required for high speed shots. More light helps with color too and it won't wash it out at high speeds. I think I took this at 10,000fps with my ZS-70 at Kerry's Aunts house on the lake several years ago.

View attachment 347486
Lots of light is what I have to get with a little feit WiFi camera. Because I have the app on my phone, I took the photos from my phone 🤣 I watched the bird and kept shooting 🌠 my little one isn't as bright as yours because it has a very dull green color in the first place. I've actually been able to see it up close. I was looking for all the bright colors I associate with hummingbirds and it just isn't there. The type that comes to visit me are a very dull lime green and have been visiting several years. I'm thrilled 😁 I finally shot that little sucker 🤣

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I hurt my wrist at the beginning of covid..........It feels like I may have popped my ligaments out of the compartments.
I have emphysema so of course I had no desire to go to any Dr offices during Covid unless it was life-threatening!....lol

My daughter hurt her wrist in the same way this May ....same pains in the same locations. She went to a Dr, he surgically repaired her wrist and she RAVES about it now.

I called his office last Friday and have an appointment today! Wow!

It turns out, that he is part of the practise that did a couple of ACL recons for me.....3 addresses ago!

Dang, I'm getting so old that I forget who did what now......I've had 17 scope jobs, Dr Ecklof in Annapolis did them all cept 1. Last time I go in, a 40 year old Dr walks in.

"You aren't Dr Ecklof" I say

"Yes I am, you remember my FATHER"

Here's your sign............

LOL

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Oh yes! I have a fan keeping the air moving indoors, It's almost 10pm here and still 80F.
I don't know how people live in countries which have prolonged high temps - my idea of hell.🥵👿

My sister and I were talking about the lack of rain and water shortages today and she told me about a reservoir in Las Vegas - Lake Mead - that is so low now, it exposed a barrel which had a body in it - a shot man. They've also found other human remains there too; it seems the mafia used to dump bodies there.
Not Mafia...Hells Angels and Bandidos

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I hurt my wrist at the beginning of covid..........It feels like I may have popped my ligaments out of the compartments.
I have emphysema so of course I had no desire to go to any Dr offices during Covid unless it was life-threatening!....lol

My daughter hurt her wrist in the same way this May ....same pains in the same locations. She went to a Dr, he surgically repaired her wrist and she RAVES about it now.

I called his office last Friday and have an appointment today! Wow!

It turns out, that he is part of the practise that did a couple of ACL recons for me.....3 addresses ago!

Dang, I'm getting so old that I forget who did what now......I've had 17 scope jobs, Dr Ecklof in Annapolis did them all cept 1. Last time I go in, a 40 year old Dr walks in.

"You aren't Dr Ecklof" I say

"Yes I am, you remember my FATHER"

Here's your sign............

LOL
In 2003 I fell backwards out of my semi-truck, and shattered my wrist...I still can't use it normally...right wrist

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
That had to hurt like the dickens Maggie! Makes my lower arm sore just to think of doing that!

I just got back from the DR....they can't do anything other than a shot or major surgery......and we don't need that level of drama as it outweighs the pain. They can do 1 of two surgeries. 1 is to remove both lower wrist bones, Lunate and scaphoid...I would retain very limited movement. The other is to remove the scaphoid, the fuse the lunate and trapizoid together.....same sucky outcome. So, I chose "D", none of the above!

Apparently, 12 yrs of martial arts and heavy application of ridge hands and knuckles-pushups have worn my scaphoid(thumb side) actually into the Radius bone of my arm. I told the Dr that I would have expected the arm bone to be more resistant to wear than the bone that wore into it. He taught me that the moving bone give the same approx density, will always "overpower" the stationary bone. My new thing for the day!

Sometimes, the Doc can't fix me. It's okay, he didn't break me either!

Guess Superman is beginning to wear .....................badly
LOL

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
That had to hurt like the dickens Maggie! Makes my lower arm sore just to think of doing that!

I just got back from the DR....they can't do anything other than a shot or major surgery......and we don't need that level of drama as it outweighs the pain. They can do 1 of two surgeries. 1 is to remove both lower wrist bones, Lunate and scaphoid...I would retain very limited movement. The other is to remove the scaphoid, the fuse the lunate and trapizoid together.....same sucky outcome. So, I chose "D", none of the above!

Apparently, 12 yrs of martial arts and heavy application of ridge hands and knuckles-pushups have worn my scaphoid(thumb side) actually into the Radius bone of my arm. I told the Dr that I would have expected the arm bone to be more resistant to wear than the bone that wore into it. He taught me that the moving bone give the same approx density, will always "overpower" the stationary bone. My new thing for the day!

Sometimes, the Doc can't fix me. It's okay, he didn't break me either!

Guess Superman is beginning to wear .....................badly
LOL
Just a hint about wrists and living with it. I like fingerless gloves. They give a bit of support when you are doing stuff. Any kind you can find. Athletic, etc... That are comforting. Right now I like my Minnie Mouse fingerless winter gloves even though it's summer. I need them to hold the bones together 😜 they work 🤗

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well.. I did get a video, but the good part only lasted a few seconds so I don't know if the whole thing will post here or not. If it does feel free to stop watching 😁 that dang hummingbird showed up when I didn't have the app running. And I didn't know how to stop the camera from doing a video 😂 after I finally started recording 😊 it's catch as catch can around here 🤗then I saw two hummingbirds today. Probably means bird wars 🤣
View attachment 1658243969869.mp4

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I think I'm going to check out for the night 🙂 I'm getting myself in a heap of trouble 😵‍💫😊 you know running my mouth and such stuff.oh my garsh.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
My brother Joe has been called up for jury duty 😜 I can't wait to watch this play out.😉 I am going to try to get him excused but with the heppa laws this kinda stuff ends up like a comedy. Oh my garsh 😁
Truly fascinating if they don't excuse him when he reports in. Sometimes, it takes an in-person meeting with the clerk or the judge since they get no-shows & all kinds of excuses out of people who don't want to be on a jury.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I hope they've sorted out your supply by now Mark.
We have a first time ever red warning for heat here in the UK over the next few days with temps set to reach 40C/104F in some parts. They say it could affect power and transport as well as health etc. We just aren't equipped for such extreme weather here. I would love to see some of that rain you had but it's not likely :(
I'm worried about the moronic element of our society starting fires again and endangering the wildlife.
We've had no rain here in Oklahoma since early June & 3 weeks now of 100+ degrees & we're expecting another 2 weeks of this scorching weather. Today was 107. Most days, high winds. No cold dark room here!!

Jan A

Boulder, CO

Mead is on the Colorado River & generates hydropower. They've had to dig deeper tunnels to keep the hydropower going. But the Rocky Mountains (west of the Continental Divide) that help feed the Colorado River have had only average or way below average snowfalls in the last 3 or 4 yrs & except for a couple of yrs, more than a decade of below average snowfall.

So yeah, they're finding bodies at Mead. Remember who started the development of Las Vegas were mob guys. "Bugsy" had some facts correct in the movie. But when Mead is at full pool, divers can't always retrieve bodies because it's so deep.