COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Ok, itโ€™s time for Team USA ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ vs Team Wales ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ท๓ ฌ๓ ณ๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ท๓ ฌ๓ ณ๓ ฟ

FIFA World Cup ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ†
I didn't watch the match as I don't like football, but I believe we were lucky to win with a penalty.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon all,
I can't believe how much rain we've had this last couple of days - I think it's fair to say the drought has come to an end!!โ˜”

My roof is still leaking but I've not had as much water in as I was expecting - maybe because of the wind direction but so far I've not had to wear wellies to bed or borrow one of Mark's canoes.

I found a storage place about 7 miles away so been busy taking things there. I think a lot of it can go to the tip eventually but I haven't had time to sort through it all properly just need to get stuff out for now.

Lola has really gone into winter mode this week and is reluctant to leave his hide, so room service has resumed which he is taking full advantage of. I don't blame him - I would do the same given the chance.

Well I'd better get back to my chores and I'll speak to you soon.
Enjoy your day!!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
View attachment 351979
Wishing all friends in the US a very happy day!
Eat drink and be merry!!!
I've just been cooking up a storm for 2 days to eat drink and be merry. Thank the good Lord the next few days I don't have to cook much. Except to disguise leftovers ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฅง

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Happy thanksgiving! Oh that cheesecake and peanut butter pie really hit the spot... So did the pumpkin pie....and the pecan pumpkin pie....๐Ÿ˜‚
I may have put on a few extra pounds๐Ÿ˜…

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Happy thanksgiving! Oh that cheesecake and peanut butter pie really hit the spot... So did the pumpkin pie....and the pecan pumpkin pie....๐Ÿ˜‚
I may have put on a few extra pounds๐Ÿ˜…
I haven't had peanut butter pie in so long ๐Ÿ˜‹ I'll have to have my leftovers first before I start cooking again ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
The only way I ever eat a piece of pumpkin pie is if it's made with a pie pumpkin. These 2 for a dollar each gave me 10 cups of pumpkin which is 5 pies. That's 40 cents for pumpkin per pie all day (cheap cheap) and it tastes so good ๐Ÿ˜Š and well that's why chefs gain a bit ๐Ÿ˜Š But oh my garsh I had to have my son chop it with a great big knife and pound on that knife with a piece of 2ร—4 just to cut them in half ๐Ÿ˜œthen I had to do 2 hours in the oven steaming them. Today I processed the batch into batches for baking pies. Tomorrow I'll be a baking. It's sooo worth it ๐Ÿค—
Wow that's a lot of effort. I am sure the pies taste great. Maybe that's why I never cared for pumpkin pie. I never had one made from scratch.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Just throwing this out there, but has anyone heard any news about Flint Fume? I know he was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and it's been a while since I've seen him online. I'm starting to fear the worst. :(

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Wow that's a lot of effort. I am sure the pies taste great. Maybe that's why I never cared for pumpkin pie. I never had one made from scratch.
Yes that's why I never really could eat them too. There's something about canned pumpkin that I don't like. It gives me a little heartburn or something. I also don't use cinnamon. Only ginger and cloves but even when I made fresh pumpkin pie with cinnamon I could anyway. I stopped using cinnamon because I have so many family members that are allergic to cinnamon.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes that's why I never really could eat them too. There's something about canned pumpkin that I don't like. It gives me a little heartburn or something. I also don't use cinnamon. Only ginger and cloves but even when I made fresh pumpkin pie with cinnamon I could anyway. I stopped using cinnamon because I have so many family members that are allergic to cinnamon.
Oh yeah I actually did get to see that woodpecker again. I didn't get a picture but the bird will be back. It looks so much like a sparrow but bigger that I don't always notice maybe. It has a black and white speckled underbody also. Hops along the ground but hangs on the tree and pecks. It's probably definitely a northern flicker. Google said the tree pecking like a woodpecker is just for communication and it's rare to get to see that ๐Ÿค— Most likely female ๐Ÿค— and it's very common here in Ohio. I'm happy the bird started visiting me though. I've never noticed them before.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I hope all had a great w/e, no matter the length! Had a great Thanksgiving day, talked to my kids in the morning and Kerry cooked a wonderful meal while I changed the grease in the rear of my truck. Dad was down from NY so we went for a walk to the water before starting the day. WE had friends come over afterwards for a while. He is the guy that owns the local bike shop, that built the bike for his wife who at 60 is dealing with pretty harsh Parkinson's. She told us they never go anywhere b/c she's embarrassed but that she felt at home there on in the sidecar of the bike.
I told her that I wasn't sure that was a compliment or not....lol...she was a hoot. She said riding reinvigorates her. She's completed 3 of a 5 yr expectancy and she's determined to beat the date! They are a cool couple and Bill loves her to death.

He's got a wonky eye, you know...the kind where you aren't sure which eye you should be looking at.. yet he road races motorcycles....I asked him how the hell THAT works out for him since we use visual (TWO eyes) triangularity subconsciously for spatial calcs! He laughed and told me to stop by the shop for his latest creation....a 206mph bike.
I'd prob like the guy if he was older than me, but he's 3 years younger...dang! LOL

Had to race home to meet Fed ex this morning....dang this system is big! I ordered a iron/Sulphur 10" Terminox filter as well, it should arrive this week. Then super-plumber will install it....and none too soon. my water stinks!

I have orange fixtures today!

Yuck!

20221127_125904.jpg

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Wow, that's a late one Ms Cathie!

Yuck, rough day yesterday....no, or not enough sleep. Maybe today will be better as I slept for 5 hrs. I close the vents at night so it gets cooler in my room. I left the sliding door to my deck open 2 ft last night, when I woke at 1AM, it was 51F in my room! My bed is a heated waterbed so it's cozy when it's cold but 51 was a bit chilly! LOL

It's up to a reasonable 70F now for shower time!

Matilda is up behind me, eating and bathing and turtling.....life is good!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Wow, that's a late one Ms Cathie!

Yuck, rough day yesterday....no, or not enough sleep. Maybe today will be better as I slept for 5 hrs. I close the vents at night so it gets cooler in my room. I left the sliding door to my deck open 2 ft last night, when I woke at 1AM, it was 51F in my room! My bed is a heated waterbed so it's cozy when it's cold but 51 was a bit chilly! LOL

It's up to a reasonable 70F now for shower time!

Matilda is up behind me, eating and bathing and turtling.....life is good!
I woke up at 2am. I tried my best to go back to sleep but nooo.... Razberri had a new vet introduction wellness appointment today so there's no way I could. I wound up absolutely loving my new vet though. She does torts too.๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿข She's an adorable young lady ๐Ÿ˜Š maybe we'll get another veterinarian member. I'll have to have Sapphire get his wellness check and establish a vet too soon. Since we ladies tend to chat ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜‰ I have plans ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
You couldn't sleep b/c of your apprehension in meeting the new Vet? I'm so glad that you like her and are comfortable with her!
Yes. I was apprehensive. My veternararians office finally hired and replaced the exotic vet on staff. My last vet I miss extremely but he retired during covid. She's adorable And she likes torts too . He didn't.๐Ÿค— I think she's going to work out . And we got along famously or the deal would be off in a heartbeat. We'll see when I take my tort in for a wellness visit.๐Ÿ˜œ

LJL1982

UK
I cooked a ham a couple weeks ago, then the turkey a few days ago. Thanksgiving is just another day here at the turtle farm, no big deal. My daughter and I had an understanding many years ago: I love the way my house smells when a turkey is cookin' away in the oven, and she likes to make turkey dinner at her house, so we both just have our own day.

Then I had turkey soup a couple days ago, but it didn't turn out very good. But I'm lovin' those turkey sandwiches.

I asked my friend, Google, if the two stores where I do my grocery shopping will be open on Thursday (the day I normally make my one trip into town each week), and she said yes, they're both open. So Thanksgiving is just another day here. . . post office to get my mail, grocery shopping and maybe the gas station, if needed.
Is thanksgiving then instead if Christmas or do you do dinner at Christmas too?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is thanksgiving then instead if Christmas or do you do dinner at Christmas too?
I don't do holidays. Because I like turkey and love the way the house smells when turkey is in the oven, I take advantage of the holidays to buy a turkey. I usually cook it as soon as it's thawed out.

No special dinner at Christmas. It's just another day around here.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I don't do holidays. Because I like turkey and love the way the house smells when turkey is in the oven, I take advantage of the holidays to buy a turkey. I usually cook it as soon as it's thawed out.

No special dinner at Christmas. It's just another day around here.
I'll bet certain visitors enjoy the leftovers though. Even on Christmas or Thanksgiving , the first question I get asked when they walk in the door is Do you have any leftovers ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿฅง I usually do because it's really hard to cook for one or two. I'm usually glad to have leftover eaters. Then I don't have to ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I don't do holidays.
My Dad, born '23, used to feel most Holidays were invented by people in order to make money from other people.
We celebrated them but come Mothers day & Fathers day and the worst offender of all Valentines day......he voiced his opinions a bit louder! LOL
Us 5 kids found it highly entertaining...from a distance of course...parents used to whack the kids back then! Yikes!
LOL

I just opened Amazon's website.....after getting nearly taken off the road by 1 of their tractor trailers this morning at 4AM! We were headed down Rt 3 at 62mph, me in the fast lane, him in the slow lane, ahead of my by 1.5 tractor-trailer lengths..... when he locked it up in the slow lane.....me, not knowing why Mr. Bigazz Tractor was slowing down, followed suite cause....well, I'm not stupid, THEN he throws that big beast into my lane and over to the WAWA turn lane in one fell swoop, by then his turn signal turned on as I went all the way to the right shoulder to allow him plenty of room should he decide a uturn is in order! JFC dude.....really? ...Then I calmed down and realized he prob just did what we all do once in a while...he just screwed up....ah well...........good thing for those "cat-like" reflexes huh?
LOL
An Expedition does not perform "cat-like" maneuvers, ever! LOL

Back to the original story......

So, anyway, I opened Amazon and found the Birthday presents Kerry ordered for me<LMAO>! She got me some fun things too! I snapped a pic, then texted it to her...thanking her. She uses my amazon so often that she's forgotten her own login.......and yes, she did put those things on her card, not mine this time! LOL