COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Good afternoon/evening all.
It's been a lovely day today but the temps have really dropped and we're down to below 40F tonight. The gritters have been out on the roads so I guess the first icy roads are expected tonight - no snow here but I believe Scotland may have some. Lola hasn't been out much the last couple of days but he's fine.
I packed my car today with things to go into storage and drove to the centre which is less than a quarter of a mile from me only to find when I got there that they don't have any spaces available. :( You used to be able to walk in and get whatever size you wanted but seems they are much busier now. So my stuff is still in the car and I've been googling other companies all day but all I could get are huge containers - maybe I could live in one for a while :)
I hope you're all well and enjoying the end of yet another week. Only about 5 weeks to Xmas!!!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good afternoon/evening all.
It's been a lovely day today but the temps have really dropped and we're down to below 40F tonight. The gritters have been out on the roads so I guess the first icy roads are expected tonight - no snow here but I believe Scotland may have some. Lola hasn't been out much the last couple of days but he's fine.
I packed my car today with things to go into storage and drove to the centre which is less than a quarter of a mile from me only to find when I got there that they don't have any spaces available. :( You used to be able to walk in and get whatever size you wanted but seems they are much busier now. So my stuff is still in the car and I've been googling other companies all day but all I could get are huge containers - maybe I could live in one for a while :)
I hope you're all well and enjoying the end of yet another week. Only about 5 weeks to Xmas!!!!
I'm trying not to think about the only 5 weeks till Christmas eeeekkkk 😭 I have some done but everything will probably be late. I had too many visitors and sorry I'll be doing them first therefore not getting a thing done.πŸ€— We're getting so cold at night. It's around 29Β°f now at 6:30pm . We've had snow flakes on and off all day. Nothing sticks because it's not been cold enough up until now πŸ€—. Please don't try to live in a container πŸ˜‰ you'd be too cold but I hope you can find a place for you and all your stuff 😘🀞

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm trying not to think about the only 5 weeks till Christmas eeeekkkk 😭 I have some done but everything will probably be late. I had too many visitors and sorry I'll be doing them first therefore not getting a thing done.πŸ€— We're getting so cold at night. It's around 29Β°f now at 6:30pm . We've had snow flakes on and off all day. Nothing sticks because it's not been cold enough up until now πŸ€—. Please don't try to live in a container πŸ˜‰ you'd be too cold but I hope you can find a place for you and all your stuff 😘🀞
I'm sure she's mistaken. Surely Christmas is at least two or three months away!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

I haven't even thought about Xmas until yesterday so not done a thing. My cooker is being disconnected on Monday to make way for my washing machine to be moved into the kitchen, so I won't be cooking Xmas lunch this year! :) I may book somewhere for my nephew and I to go on Xmas Day unless one of my sisters kindly offers. I hope we don't get snow for a while - until my roof is fixed anyway!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all. It certainly was a cold and frosty morning. but the sun is up now and melted it all.
My laptop still hasn't been fixed so I'm going to have to contact the company to rearrange that because I can only stand using it for a short time. Trouble is my house is so upside down with all the moving about and packing of things I've been doing to get my roof and electrics sorted out, I'm a bit embarrassed to have any visitors here. I'll just have to make sure I have a space amongst the boxes for the technician to sit and work.
Anyway I hope you all have a good weekend but TTFN.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I haven't even thought about Xmas until yesterday so not done a thing. My cooker is being disconnected on Monday to make way for my washing machine to be moved into the kitchen, so I won't be cooking Xmas lunch this year! :) I may book somewhere for my nephew and I to go on Xmas Day unless one of my sisters kindly offers. I hope we don't get snow for a while - until my roof is fixed anyway!
Just find him or her a space and get her done πŸ˜‰ I'm sure they've seen worse. Then you can be with us more 😜 am I being selfish 😘

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Does anyone here know what the specifications are on posting videos on TFO.? Or where to find it? If I post a video from my phone from my Feit indoor outdoor WiFi camera it WILL post but if I try to post a video taken with my phone it's too large a file and won't. It's not the length of it that matters. I'm thinking I can use a video editor app to make the videos the right size. If I can't I did learn something πŸ˜‹ I'll just have to redo the ones I've recorded πŸ€—

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Good afternoon everybody. Guess what, I saved two baby jumping spiders from freezing in the cold, its one of them only has 7 legs and his pulps. (I think they are call pulps) the other one I accidentally got a drop of water on it then I thought it died but at the last second he jumped into my carpet and dug away never to be found againπŸ˜‚πŸ˜ž. I named my remaining one Kiwi. He is so small if I took a pic he would look like a freckle on my hand! πŸ˜€ and my sister got ANOTHER horse and we think its pregnant with ANOTHER mule! (think) horses are very hard to tell if they are pregnant. (Some horses) marsedes is doing great! Eating and growing! Unfortunately one of my little brothers pulled his light plug in out and he got cold but I quickly got it back in once I realized and now he is the right temp. My hibiscus died, unfortunately my dad mowed it over and the last remaining pits died from the cold. Lets hope it co.as back next year for marsedes sake! I also trapped a HUGE opossum in a live trap. (Did you know opossum only run about 5 mph) anyway It was obviously a male and was hissing at me like crazy when I went to show my parents my awesome catchπŸ˜‚ They told me to put it down since it might be eating our ducks (our ducks have been going missing) but I eventually convinced them to let me let it go! One rule though. I can't trap anything unless we kill it and I do not want to kill a adorable opossum or Amarillo so that's it for me trapping and studying animals. Anything exiting happen at your place? Oh and happy early Thanksgiving since I probably won't be on till after Thanksgiving. Maybe.

Last edited:

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
It's officially cold out. it hasn't broken 36F all day and it's windy out! I took out the front ac unit today when I got home from Kerry's.....I procrastinate okay? High 20's at night....yuck....that sucks at 3:30-4am when I go to work. I went out an hour ago cause my tire pressure light came on drive home the other day so I had to wait till it was freezing out to get it done.....so I pumped them up....one was @23psi...better keep and eye on that one.

Ms Cathie, I did a vid last week for the first time on TFO and I linked it to a service called Hightail that we use at work. You can check and see if they have a free trial, most of those companies do, or you can signup and get a Dropbox, that do the same thing. Seems like most folks just post on Utube.....but I can't help you there, I haven't posted in 12 yrs there. Pretty simply at Utube from what I remember though, and free.....

Lyn, you are always in a good mood, even when things are crashing in your world. Facing one major issue like the roof is plenty for most of us, you are facing more. I admire that.....b/c that speaks of character! Me on the other hand, I whine when my stuff breaks. I think I even managed to make the water-softener, Rays fault! LOL LOL

We deal and move on.....HOW we "deal" tells a lot about us though...........and I respect class.

Thomas caught a possum! They are neat....50 teeth but generally passive....they will "play possum" but you prob don't want to antagonize him enough to make that "Should I play dead or BITE him" decision! I trapped them like you then later in life caught a baby(fit in my gloved hand) on my woodpile that I had Peg bring the kids to the window to see. She wouldn't let them pet it....moms, always afraid.....LOL
I think Y posted some face pics of those spiders....pretty cool looking but if they want to increase survival rates by looking cool, they need to grow larger features!!! Most of us never see their faces.......too small!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
It's officially cold out. it hasn't broken 36F all day and it's windy out! I took out the front ac unit today when I got home from Kerry's.....I procrastinate okay? High 20's at night....yuck....that sucks at 3:30-4am when I go to work. I went out an hour ago cause my tire pressure light came on drive home the other day so I had to wait till it was freezing out to get it done.....so I pumped them up....one was @23psi...better keep and eye on that one.

Ms Cathie, I did a vid last week for the first time on TFO and I linked it to a service called Hightail that we use at work. You can check and see if they have a free trial, most of those companies do, or you can signup and get a Dropbox, that do the same thing. Seems like most folks just post on Utube.....but I can't help you there, I haven't posted in 12 yrs there. Pretty simply at Utube from what I remember though, and free.....

Lyn, you are always in a good mood, even when things are crashing in your world. Facing one major issue like the roof is plenty for most of us, you are facing more. I admire that.....b/c that speaks of character! Me on the other hand, I whine when my stuff breaks. I think I even managed to make the water-softener, Rays fault! LOL LOL

We deal and move on.....HOW we "deal" tells a lot about us though...........and I respect class.

Thomas caught a possum! They are neat....50 teeth but generally passive....they will "play possum" but you prob don't want to antagonize him enough to make that "Should I play dead or BITE him" decision! I trapped them like you then later in life caught a baby(fit in my gloved hand) on my woodpile that I had Peg bring the kids to the window to see. She wouldn't let them pet it....moms, always afraid.....LOL
I think Y posted some face pics of those spiders....pretty cool looking but if they want to increase survival rates by looking cool, they need to grow larger features!!! Most of us never see their faces.......too small!
Rose says I am a procrastinator. I tell her I am just a very patient person. 😁
Sorry about the water softener. I can give you a hand if you need some help fixing it. πŸ˜‰

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good afternoon everybody. Guess what, I saved two baby jumping spiders from freezing in the cold, its one of them only has 7 legs and his pulps. (I think they are call pulps) the other one I accidentally got a drop of water on it then I thought it died but at the last second he jumped into my carpet and dug away never to be found againπŸ˜‚πŸ˜ž. I named my remaining one Kiwi. He is so small if I took a pic he would look like a freckle on my hand! πŸ˜€ and my sister got ANOTHER horse and we think its pregnant with ANOTHER mule! (think) horses are very hard to tell if they are pregnant. (Some horses) marsedes is doing great! Eating and growing! Unfortunately one of my little brothers pulled his light plug in out and he got cold but I quickly got it back in once I realized and now he is the right temp. My hibiscus died, unfortunately my dad mowed it over and the last remaining pits died from the cold. Lets hope it co.as back next year for marsedes sake! I also trapped a HUGE opossum in a live trap. (Did you know opossum only run about 5 mph) anyway It was obviously a male and was hissing at me like crazy when I went to show my parents my awesome catchπŸ˜‚ They told me to put it down since it might be eating our ducks (our ducks have been going missing) but I eventually convinced them to let me let it go! One rule though. I can't trap anything unless we kill it and I do not want to kill a adorable opossum or Amarillo so that's it for me trapping and studying animals. Anything exiting happen at your place? Oh and happy early Thanksgiving since I probably won't be on till after Thanksgiving. Maybe.
I love opossums. They hiss like crazy or lay with their tongue hanging out like they're dead trying to scare you have to death with their disgusting face... πŸ˜‰ The little cowards are mostly peaceful πŸ€— and a Happy Thanksgiving to you also And I'm so nosey I'll have to check in here though 😁 between cooking. Hopefully I won't burn Thanksgiving dinner πŸ˜‰

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

My 5 little videos are for here on TFO and my family. I already have a utube channel but don't feel like sharing.. Here's the thing... I didn't mute the TV on some of them. So whatever I do I'll still need a video editor app. There's all kinds of background noise like a JCPenney commercial and us laughing and such stuff now and then. We were even trying to stay quiet πŸ˜‚β˜ΊοΈ I need to know what size to format the videos to. I hate to mute any of it because it fits so well together and is pretty fun and funny but I will. I'll just use a copy and keep the original too 😁☺️

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
My 5 little videos are for here on TFO and my family. I already have a utube channel but don't feel like sharing.. Here's the thing... I didn't mute the TV on some of them. So whatever I do I'll still need a video editor app. There's all kinds of background noise like a JCPenney commercial and us laughing and such stuff now and then. We were even trying to stay quiet πŸ˜‚β˜ΊοΈ I need to know what size to format the videos to. I hate to mute any of it because it fits so well together and is pretty fun and funny but I will. I'll just use a copy and keep the original too 😁☺️
If you post to YouTube and then go to your library in YouTube. You should find it, copy the like and then paste in a post on TFO. By doing it that way, I never had a problem with the file being to large.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
20.6F and my weather sensor sits 8feet above the ground, 3' from a sliding door.

It's cold!

Appreciate it Ray...you've got a good sense of humor! FWIW I found a firm, Aqua Science, that was able to package what I needed, including the higher end resin for about 600 less than anyone else on the internet, I checked!

Shopping as a skillset!
When I shop, I narrow down what I'm looking for to a single model #or version.... then I go into "shop mode", hopscotching around from price to price, always opening with a right click so as not to lose my baseline search....I also will use Startpage to get "googles results" without Google deciding the order!

When I started searching for the softener, it was 3 grand or close to it for a 90,000 grain, twin tank unit............I paid under half of that! Free shipping, NO TAX!!! (I love that part the best!) I found it at a store in Wyoming. I always buy appliances from a firm in Tennessee the same way...I rarely pay tax on large purchases, except new cars...I haven't figured out how to do that yet. LOL

Since I typed this, the temp dropped to 20.3F!

I'd better take my shower now....so I can warm up b4 leaving!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
If you post to YouTube and then go to your library in YouTube. You should find it, copy the like and then paste in a post on TFO. By doing it that way, I never had a problem with the file being to large.
I do already have a utube channel but I'm not sure if it will let me post here. Some of my original privacy settings everywhere have done that and I don't know how to change it. In the past Linda tried to help me with that but it didn't work. I have a brother that's an I T specialist in the Air Force and he couldn't either. My only excuse for all that is I was really naive when I started using the internet and it was too much like putting a 2 year old online 😭