COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
You could place two or three mothballs near/in/by the hole that needs fixed. Hang them in an old sock/onion bag, in the way so they have to push them out of the way if they try to go back in, or just drop them on the floor where they are coming in. (More mothballs than that and people won't be able to stand to be in the rooms below.) Since its not a confined space, you'll have to replace the mothballs if it takes very long to get the repairs done, so you need to keep an eye on them.
Peppermint oil and chilli powder are two of the things popular in the UK to try to keep squirrels who want to be roomies at bay. Tends to work for most rodents.
I had a grey squirrel around the bord feeders in my garden last week and was thinking of trapping him but then he would have to be euthanised because they are trying to reduce the numbers to help red squirrels make a comeback. I couldn't do that to him so just chased him off if I saw him. He was quite brazen though and tried to out stare me before he scooted - as if to say "Don't waste your time - I'll be back!"

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon/morning all, it's been another sunny day here.
I've been busy pottering in the garden and did a run to the tip (dump) with the remnants of a winter casualty shrub.
The guy with the chainsaw came back to my neighbour today and has stripped most of the ivy etc off the washing line pole. He has left the top on in case there are birds nesting in there -he said he thought he could hear them. Thing is after all the vibrations I don't know if the parents will abandon it anyway. I hope not. I'll be glad when the autumn is here again - I worry too much in the nesting season!

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
You'd love my shelf Ms Cathie.....2- Kodak, 1 samsung, 2 game cams,....the panny is gone now but didn't matter, I can't take pics with any of them....at least the game cams take their own so I can't mess them up too badly.

I use a waterproof V30 phone appropriate for superman who will drop it from high places, or hand it to Kerry. It took her 4 sec to crack my last phone when I handed it to her so my stuff and hers, has to be tough. I bought the Tough Guy-5 camera; "because of Kerry" LOL. I'm used to it now and can usually foresee and prevent, but Kerry "hosses" things.

My phone is 7-8 years old but works perfectly, just doesn't take the best pics. Kerry's iPhones, even her Iphone7 was better. The tide was low but you can see how close the community floating(beached) pier is to the Osprey nest, this will be neat watching them grow.
View attachment 356934

There are better camera's but not that fit in your pocket and that is the MOST important thing to me. I will never be the guy carrying a camera. I move too much to worry about some stupid thing hanging on my neck.
I had been comparing the Sony Rx100 VII & the cheap Leica ($1,600 made by Panasonic I think) or the Ricoh but then I realized two latter ones don't have a "Auto" setting so they were removed from the short list.....yeah, I'm that bad!
Buying a $3,000 camera for me is like tossing a T38 driver into a Abrams tank, he not going to find a lot of success either!
I'm not really ready to commit yet, still trying to wrap my head around how "I should have bought the $800 camera" when I bought the Lumix a few years back has morphed into "I need the 1300 one" today. Now the goal is to find it cheapest.....lowest cost +no tax+free shipping. Then, I'll know what the real cost/value thing is....it's just my process. I'm in no rush. 95% of the time I can find that magic combination.

I feel guilty saying this so it must be wrong, but I'm really tempted to buy it on Amazon for full price but once I get it and take pics and it sucks, I can return it no issue at all and while a cheesy way to "test drive" one, it's an effective plan. LOL Now on the other side of that, if I did it and liked the camera, I would just keep it and figure the higher price was the cost of the test drive. I would NOT return it to buy it somewhere else, cheaper.

Sat night, around 3am, we were woken up by a new friend in her attic....heavy.....and actively trying to open a second exit so he was loud too. He was right above our heads and it sounded like he was chewing his way into her bedroom! Yikes! We pounded the walls but it only slowed him.
I don't know how many of you guys are familiar with mammals but I suspect most here are.....how do you tell the difference between a opossum and a raccoon by its feces? A racoon's looks like a med-to lg dog!

Her roof had a pile of "dog poop", right above the porch roof in the channel, 6' away from the hole in the eve. She was so grossed out that it was funny.

Rocky moved in...for a minute anyway!

After a trip to Tractor Supply, I crawled up there in the morning via the drop down stairs in the garage ceiling, sprayed a mag from my bb gun machine gun to scare the black off his eyes, to make sure I wasn't going to have to wrestle a racoon in the fiberglass. Then I set a couple of single-door traps. She needs to hire someone to plug the hole where it pushed the soffit in eve under the dormer, up. It's a Cape cod so jeff isn't scaling that. I told her 25yo son, "I'll catch 'em, you figure out what to do with 'em" because of course I went home!

enjoy the day guys!
That's the way I am about cameras so my favorite is my smartphone. The cameras are getting better and better on them. Mark uses a Pentax and told me what model it was and I found one for $50 with everything including the original box.. It's pocket size and I actually like it but I still use my phone. Good luck with the racoon. Their silky little hands can work their way into about anything.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good afternoon/morning all, it's been another sunny day here.
I've been busy pottering in the garden and did a run to the tip (dump) with the remnants of a winter casualty shrub.
The guy with the chainsaw came back to my neighbour today and has stripped most of the ivy etc off the washing line pole. He has left the top on in case there are birds nesting in there -he said he thought he could hear them. Thing is after all the vibrations I don't know if the parents will abandon it anyway. I hope not. I'll be glad when the autumn is here again - I worry too much in the nesting season!
I've read that the parents really don't abandon the nests or their babies. They will even take them back if a human has mistakenly rescued but puts them back close to the nest or in the nest if possible.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Thanks guys for the racoon-away suggestions and I'm jealous of Ray's fish(I catch minnows). Those are pretty big fish! The tired & windblown look on your face reveals the fun that you had!! LOL

Marks corn ....well, I'm sorry buddy but that looks burned to me<LOL>! I did eat ceviche in Belize...that's as far as I've gone off the reservation. It's me, not you guys.

Glad you are getting nice weather Lynn....and I think Ms Cathie is correct. I love babies, all babies and used to mess with them when I found them and mom always took them back....birds & bunnies mostly, once even a soaking wet-just hit the ground, fawn(long story but I saw God in her eyes when I kissed her nose, just amazing) and while everyone was screaming in my ear not to do that & Mom was getting ready to lay into me with hooves, it caused no long term harm. I think your birds will be ok. The trappers all tell me that if I remove the baby racoons, assuming they are there, and seal the hole and leave the babies in a box outside, mom will come pick them up free of charge!

I sent mothballs and pepper stuff to Kerrys, she will have it today. You know that you can buy a pepper gel that shoots 25 ft for 25 bucks? Nasty! They use it for self defense. We don't know yet if she caught anything, she came over last night to a Birthday dinner for my 25 y/o daughter so she didn't get home till late. 7 folks, total tab with a heavy tip 209 bucks.....God bless Mexico. My daughter wants one of the baby racoons if we find them....she's an "animal girl"....very sweet but we're gonna need proof that Hell itself has frozen before that happens. While it would be cool to have a pet racoon and I'm fairly comfortable that a hand raised racoon wouldn't be dangerous, I know better, I just know better! LMAO

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I ordered my camera this morning free shipping no tax and I had a promo code for 15 bucks from the cheapest place on the net. When I get home I find an email asking for me to call them to confirm my purchase. I emailed them back and said I can't, I'm deaf, what do they need?

Is that bad? LOL

We all know that nobody needs to confirm anything, they just want to upsell!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thanks guys for the racoon-away suggestions and I'm jealous of Ray's fish(I catch minnows). Those are pretty big fish! The tired & windblown look on your face reveals the fun that you had!! LOL

Marks corn ....well, I'm sorry buddy but that looks burned to me<LOL>! I did eat ceviche in Belize...that's as far as I've gone off the reservation. It's me, not you guys.

Glad you are getting nice weather Lynn....and I think Ms Cathie is correct. I love babies, all babies and used to mess with them when I found them and mom always took them back....birds & bunnies mostly, once even a soaking wet-just hit the ground, fawn(long story but I saw God in her eyes when I kissed her nose, just amazing) and while everyone was screaming in my ear not to do that & Mom was getting ready to lay into me with hooves, it caused no long term harm. I think your birds will be ok. The trappers all tell me that if I remove the baby racoons, assuming they are there, and seal the hole and leave the babies in a box outside, mom will come pick them up free of charge!

I sent mothballs and pepper stuff to Kerrys, she will have it today. You know that you can buy a pepper gel that shoots 25 ft for 25 bucks? Nasty! They use it for self defense. We don't know yet if she caught anything, she came over last night to a Birthday dinner for my 25 y/o daughter so she didn't get home till late. 7 folks, total tab with a heavy tip 209 bucks.....God bless Mexico. My daughter wants one of the baby racoons if we find them....she's an "animal girl"....very sweet but we're gonna need proof that Hell itself has frozen before that happens. While it would be cool to have a pet racoon and I'm fairly comfortable that a hand raised racoon wouldn't be dangerous, I know better, I just know better! LMAO
And well 😁... Baby raccoons humm long story. I'm glad you Listen to your instincts 😜 and well... they'll keep visiting you even after you let them be free. This is a picture of a picture of Sarah.IMG_20230516_172056436.jpg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Oh me oh my. I'm trying to stay safe right here in the CDR before I get in trooouble.🤗

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
It all worked out, but they did try to call me, I recognized the # and texted a msg "Can't talk, text me" back, then we traded 4 or 5 nice emails as they sought to check if I needed an extra battery(their price 59, but I bought 2 on amazon for 12 bucks) then a memory card....LOL, they were very nice and I let them go through their process and now my camera will be here today...Fed ex so we have opportunity for more drama, just cuz they suck so bad now! LOL

Oldest daughter dropped off the room AC unit yesterday that I had got for her use last summer while her unit was broken. I was to put it in my shed. Shouldn't superman have the "coolest" shed? I was standing in it last Sat and when I opened the end door, I had a view of the water through the woods....I've got a shed, with water view! LOL

Youngest daughter finally realized that it's going to get hot and she now lives in an unconditioned room with a 24/7/365 exh fan running. She cannot leave her door open with the rabbit. We talked it out. I will put up 200 for a "std" room ac she can use, and she pays the other 200 if she wants a "modern" one that costs 400. Then, she pays 35mo for elect. It will cost 70, but I'll split it with her.

I really do love all this...it's keeps it interesting, not "easy" but its better than a boring life.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It all worked out, but they did try to call me, I recognized the # and texted a msg "Can't talk, text me" back, then we traded 4 or 5 nice emails as they sought to check if I needed an extra battery(their price 59, but I bought 2 on amazon for 12 bucks) then a memory card....LOL, they were very nice and I let them go through their process and now my camera will be here today...Fed ex so we have opportunity for more drama, just cuz they suck so bad now! LOL

Oldest daughter dropped off the room AC unit yesterday that I had got for her use last summer while her unit was broken. I was to put it in my shed. Shouldn't superman have the "coolest" shed? I was standing in it last Sat and when I opened the end door, I had a view of the water through the woods....I've got a shed, with water view! LOL

Youngest daughter finally realized that it's going to get hot and she now lives in an unconditioned room with a 24/7/365 exh fan running. She cannot leave her door open with the rabbit. We talked it out. I will put up 200 for a "std" room ac she can use, and she pays the other 200 if she wants a "modern" one that costs 400. Then, she pays 35mo for elect. It will cost 70, but I'll split it with her.

I really do love all this...it's keeps it interesting, not "easy" but its better than a boring life.
Your daughter could use a tall baby gate like me between my kitchen and living room. Razberri is such a small breed I did have to attach some metal grates so she can't squeeze through. Even my highest jumping rabbit wouldn't try it. It was pretty cheap at Lowe's. It's 3' tall and ended up being a safer height for people too.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Oh man oh man this is interesting. Two very similar websites. I found Joes by googling cork bark. Just remind me of a very old business tactic that is alive and well in the modern era! That name sound oddly familiar!!! No hate on either vendor just thought it funny!
https://www.joesfrogs.com/

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Early in the life of the internet, a program came out that my best friend showed me BD,
He could go to any website & mirror the entire thing with his name in all the correct places.......................this was 20 years ago. I can only imagine the possibilities now. Speaking of now.... the "new" google sucks....only shows above the fold now so I use alts. ("above the fold"=like a Newspaper---just the paid content, no organic search results anymore). This is why if you search for a "couch", you will see the same 300 couches over and over and over again. You will never see the couches for sale at a local shop with a website. Shame.,

The problem with the Rabbit Ms Cathie isn't keeping the animal in her room, it's keeping the SMELL in her room or exhausted out the window....it's nasty. A inverter type window unit like I have in my room is coming Saturday.
She's just too cute...I took this with my cell;
20230516_182743.jpg

My camera came yesterday as promised.....it all works and for comparison, I took a regular picture in my bedroom with no flash. This would stump my old camera.....not so with the new one.....I even limited the ISO and it still came out much nicer......Ahhhhh, I'm happy now! I took some nice practice shots of Matilda.

I let go one of her lizard friends, he was on a stick leaning in the corner of her home yesterday and I put a container down next to him and said "if you get in, I'll set you free"

All I heard from him as he dove headfirst into the container was "hell yeah!" He's happy now.

Enjoy Friday Eve guys!~!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Early in the life of the internet, a program came out that my best friend showed me BD,
He could go to any website & mirror the entire thing with his name in all the correct places.......................this was 20 years ago. I can only imagine the possibilities now. Speaking of now.... the "new" google sucks....only shows above the fold now so I use alts. ("above the fold"=like a Newspaper---just the paid content, no organic search results anymore). This is why if you search for a "couch", you will see the same 300 couches over and over and over again. You will never see the couches for sale at a local shop with a website. Shame.,

The problem with the Rabbit Ms Cathie isn't keeping the animal in her room, it's keeping the SMELL in her room or exhausted out the window....it's nasty. A inverter type window unit like I have in my room is coming Saturday.
She's just too cute...I took this with my cell;
View attachment 356997

My camera came yesterday as promised.....it all works and for comparison, I took a regular picture in my bedroom with no flash. This would stump my old camera.....not so with the new one.....I even limited the ISO and it still came out much nicer......Ahhhhh, I'm happy now! I took some nice practice shots of Matilda.

I let go one of her lizard friends, he was on a stick leaning in the corner of her home yesterday and I put a container down next to him and said "if you get in, I'll set you free"

All I heard from him as he dove headfirst into the container was "hell yeah!" He's happy now.

Enjoy Friday Eve guys!~!
Wow Matilda is so cute but I can't understand why there's an oder. There shouldn't be any. Their litter box doesn't stink if you use Timothy hay really deep. It's cheap at a tractor supply. I tear up newspaper in chunks and lay that in the bottom. I use white vinegar to clean it first. Then fill up an old porcelain on steal wash pan with the Timothy. I only only have to clean it every 3 days. It never stinks. Another case of pet stores with wrong information.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I am keeping my eye on my future; .....Mark gets to leave during the week, nice leisurely drive to the beach....no fuss no muss no crowds, no traffic. Yeah, I like that idea. Good for you!

Ms Cathie, I was confusing earlier. Hazel is the rabbits name, Matilda is my Box turtle

I wish I could get daughter as "clean & neat" as most folks, she doesn't maintain it...she chooses to live in that filth and I'm fine with her choosing to do it, but of course I do not. I'm not trying to make it easy for her to stay! She went from basically a 3 room suite, to a 9x10 bedroom whose door must remain closed. LOL

Fed day in DC so it was comparatively, the Indy500 out there on the way in. The music was good though starting with the hard rock and ending with Stylistics on that 46 mile commute. It gets the blood moving.

Good times last weekend;
Full disclosure; ya'll know about the ebikes Kerry and I have and I probably mentioned that I've begun to ride the stationary bike for my knee before our vac next month. Last w/e we raced......I was feeling froggy so it really was inevitable!
A dead level playing field, 3rd gear and even....I didn't want to hear any excuses afterwards, right? Smart folks will have already put together the ending of this story. She won, fair & square. She is a former college rugby player and she still has incredibly powerful legs. I killed her off the line, taking a commanding lead in our 150yd race to her driveway. Then, halfway to the finish she comes into my leftside view, there was no "lose" in her eyes and I was out of gas w/20yds to go! Yikes, I reached into the tank for more fuel(oxy) and found fumes as she beat me by 3/4 length....She was laughing, I was laughing & I was waiting for the coming heart attack we all hear about happening as I huffed and puffed regaining my breath. It was a sad event, in full view of the neighbors but we laughed so hard......funniest thing I've done in a week. I often say she's the most magnificent woman I ever met, she's also the only one to beat me fairly in several venues! I find I need a little humility in my life or my ego grows....she provides it<LOL>.

I told her as we put the bikes away, "I'll be back". Hindsight will suggest that we I should have raced at the beginning of our ride instead of the end but no one will make you feel better about losing than Kerry so it's cool.

Happy Friday guys...the sliding glass door that Kerry got for her birthday at the beginning of April is finally going to be installed today or tomorrow and the hole with her pest will be sealed as well. The traps we set were empty and she hasn't heard it since we scared it last w/e. Since I'm headed over there after work, I packed my game cam to set up outside. I also packed my cameras and hope to finally get some nice shots of the water. Maybe the Osprey eggs have hatched? The nest is super close this year so it's a neat thing to look forward to seeing.

Enjoy the day guys!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have to get my game camera set up no matter what. Last night I had to go back to sleep smelling skunk 🤢 at least I would have maybe got a picture of who made the darling mad 😁

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have to get my game camera set up no matter what. Last night I had to go back to sleep smelling skunk 🤢 at least I would have maybe got a picture of who made the darling mad 😁
And Jeff I should have remembered who Matilda is because I always want to see how she's doing when you post. Let's blame it on spell check 😉😊

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
We went up to Middletown DE Friday night to go grocery shopping and Lowes for lime but @6.50 a bag we are gonna have to empty the garage of the pesky power tools, so we can keep the lime safe & secure! Kerry got her new sliding door installed Sat and they also sealed the eve so no more animal visitors so she's real happy

I have some sad news to report on the Osprey nest we visit. We met some of the folks that live next to the nest and apparently as Kerry saw two weeks ago, a couple built the nest and mom layed the eggs. Last week, I watched mom on the eggs. Then the male never retuned................and when the male's don't return, the moms will abandon the eggs that she knows she cannot support the brood alone. She's gone now and there's an empty nest this year.DSC00178.JPG

Sad but we also met one of the guys that rescued the nest last year when the storm blew it over and into the water. They put in on the pier, and caught the babies too so that was neat to meet him.

Left Kerry's at noon and am just finishing laundry....beautiful out side here!