COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Today’s college assignment done and dusted. It was about “Why is it important to weigh your animals, and can the results indicate a potential problem”

I managed to sneak in some tortie facts about hibernation and the importance of weighing them before hand:D

Yay! Well done :)

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Today’s college assignment done and dusted. It was about “Why is it important to weigh your animals, and can the results indicate a potential problem”

I managed to sneak in some tortie facts about hibernation and the importance of weighing them before hand:D
Oh me oh my...you'll probably get an A+++. I personally feel it's such an important thing to do. Especially if you want to devote your life to helping animals. A permanent diary of weights and measurements of all the different animals you experience can become invaluable later.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Oh me oh my...you'll probably get an A+++. I personally feel it's such an important thing to do. Especially if you want to devote your life to helping animals. A permanent diary of weights and measurements of all the different animals you experience can become invaluable later.
It is very important, if an animal is underweight and not gaining that indicates a problem. Same for seeing if an animals overweight which can cause problems.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It is very important, if an animal is underweight and not gaining that indicates a problem. Same for seeing if an animals overweight which can cause problems.
I wish I had been able to keep a personal lifetime book on different animals I encountered for my own personal reference later in my life. I'm not a professional but would still like having it.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I wish I had been able to keep a personal lifetime book on different animals I encountered for my own personal reference later in my life. I'm not a professional but would still like having it.
You have inspired me to do that from now on. That’s if I can remember the ones I’ve already encountered :p

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Hot here, but cold temps are soon to come.... sad, but true. I’m now thinking about a new indoor nightbox for our Sully for the Winter. The “outdoor night box” is far too cumbersome to relocate. I’m going to build a new indoor box for the dark gloomy wintry months. I’ll probably re-use the Kane heat mat and thermostat in the new one....maybe get a new radiant heat panel.

@Ray--Opo and @Pastel Tortie .are so lucky - no freezing temps, no sleet, no snow, no frost. No worries! (Ok, hurricanes)
Here in North Florida, we do get freezing temperatures and frost (yearly). Sleet is less uncommon than snow. You don't see many icecycles here, but they do happen on occasion.

And if there's any frozen precipitation on the roads at all when we wake up, we declare it a snow day. Seriously, it's a safety issue. Most Floridians with any experience driving in snow and ice.............. live MUCH farther south! ;) :D:p

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida

I don't weigh my box turtle as often these days as I did when she was a hatchling... but I used to weigh her both before and after soaks. I made notations about whether she ate and pooped while soaking. It makes a big difference when you're talking about a hatchling.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Our adult bearded dragon gets notations made on a calendar to record when he poops... which is more or less weekly, give or take a few days. Basically, he will poop on the same day of the week for a couple weeks in a row, then decides he doesn't want to be that predictable and picks a different day for the third week. o_O

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I haven't been around online as much lately due to critter care... It's been a slow process getting new (inside) enclosures set up.

We're getting closer to being able to move the mud turtles into their new 40 breeder tank in our master bathroom.

So once the mud turtles move out of the 20 long tank in our bedroom, we can replace the 20 long tank with a new (other) 40 breeder tank. So then our little Red Lady bearded dragon can move into the 40 tank on our dresser.

After that, we have to settle on a more appropriate location for the 20 long tank (that the mud turtles are in right now). Then get the 20 long tank set up for our new (x2) spotted turtle hatchlings.

That's sort of the short version...

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn