COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Our yard is hard too figure out. The backyard can get so hot you can't believe. The front yard doesn't get full son until around 4 p.m. So in the backyard, in the ground, is my only option. They do ok in the backyard butt...it could be better.
Yeah, Some of my plants work in pots for me and others do much better in the ground. I generally go with what the plant is telling me by how they are doing in the medium I have them in. the little climber is a mini rose climber, I think that I need to put some more compost and slow fertilizers in their ground. and hopefully that will do the trick. But I have no clue on how to prune rose bushes. I am generally a by feel kind of gardener. So when I don't know how or feel how to do something I struggle. And roses have been one of those plants that I struggle with. I love them though and want to keep on trying with them.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good Morning Everyone.

I hope you are all doing well. It is Friday, yayy. But a busy weekend is coming up. This is the thing that I hate the most when I have to sit in a office with nothing to do. I could be doing so much and getting stuff done at home instead. Oh well, at least I have a job and am getting paid for it. Still frustrating though.

So what have you all got planned for this weekend? Kayaking? Gardening? Playing with your torts? Playing with your Lizards? Playing with your fish? Shopping? Riding horses? Clean solar panels? Tell me I want to know. ;)

Whatever it is that you have planned I hope it goes well and that you have fun.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yeah, Some of my plants work in pots for me and others do much better in the ground. I generally go with what the plant is telling me by how they are doing in the medium I have them in. the little climber is a mini rose climber, I think that I need to put some more compost and slow fertilizers in their ground. and hopefully that will do the trick. But I have no clue on how to prune rose bushes. I am generally a by feel kind of gardener. So when I don't know how or feel how to do something I struggle. And roses have been one of those plants that I struggle with. I love them though and want to keep on trying with them.

This is kind of in the middle of your Winter now right? Will it get much colder, or continue to slowly warm. Your next ten days look nice!
19283200-A80B-45D3-BE4F-5810B2F645BD.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Good Morning Everyone.

I hope you are all doing well. It is Friday, yayy. But a busy weekend is coming up. This is the thing that I hate the most when I have to sit in a office with nothing to do. I could be doing so much and getting stuff done at home instead. Oh well, at least I have a job and am getting paid for it. Still frustrating though.

So what have you all got planned for this weekend? Kayaking? Gardening? Playing with your torts? Playing with your Lizards? Playing with your fish? Shopping? Riding horses? Clean solar panels? Tell me I want to know. ;)

Whatever it is that you have planned I hope it goes well and that you have fun.

I was supposed to go out kayaking this morning, but nasty storms came through last night, tons of rain. In fact it’s still raining very heavily now.....and VERY humid, but cooler. We cancelled. A bit too yucky ?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
This is kind of in the middle of your Winter now right? Will it get much colder, or continue to slowly warm. Your next ten days look nice!
View attachment 301023
Yes we are in the middle of winter, and it will most probably slowly get warmer. But it is hard to estimate the weather here, because we have had the drought for last couple of years, but we have already had quite a bit of rain this winter compared to the past few years.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Our yard is hard too figure out. The backyard can get so hot you can't believe. The front yard doesn't get full son until around 4 p.m. So in the backyard, in the ground, is my only option. They do ok in the backyard butt...it could be better.
Thanks Cathie, we have ours on the side of the house that gets sun about 4PM. Maybe I will switch them to the other side where they will get the morning sun.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Yes, i stop feeding Mazuri once Sully goes outside. Shes getting a ton of grass & grape leaves & cactus.....etc. In Winter, not as wide a variety. I feed a cup full or so every few days. It disappears...
I feed Opo a 8" terracotta dish of mazuri covering the dish but not mounded 2 to 3 times a week. I guess I will cut it down to 2 days. I think I will stop feeding for awhile. If I don't have it ready for him in the morning. He goes right out and starts eating grass. Think I will grow some grapes also. Should I try growing grapes now or wait till it cools down?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Yes we are in the middle of winter, and it will most probably slowly get warmer. But it is hard to estimate the weather here, because we have had the drought for last couple of years, but we have already had quite a bit of rain this winter compared to the past few years.

Roses: Since you are in the middle of Winter and your temps are pretty mild, id guess that it would be a good time right now to give your shrub rose a very good trim down. Maybe down to about a foot. Remove all real thin & spindly shoots, all dead branches and ones that don’t look good. Add a good slow release fertilizer all around the perimeter. On the climbing rose, id trim back, but not to the ground like the other. Select your main canes, cut back down a bit. Prune off a lot of the spindly canes, dead wood, etc. your new roses will grow from new growth, so you want to prune things back, encourage new healthy growth. Fertilize like the other, a bit all around the perimeter. Scratch it into the soil. Roses pretty much like full sun. Steady supply of moisture, not too wet, not too dry.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Some nasty thunderstorms moved through Maryland overnight, tons of rain, thundering boomers & lightning strikes. Here’s a sample!

Ogh, it’s been hot too.

View attachment 301033
I love thunderstorms. But sadly Cape town does not get them very often. They are more common in Guateng.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Roses: Since you are in the middle of Winter and your temps are pretty mild, id guess that it would be a good time right now to give your shrub rose a very good trim down. Maybe down to about a foot. Remove all real thin & spindly shoots, all dead branches and ones that don’t look good. Add a good slow release fertilizer all around the perimeter. On the climbing rose, id trim back, but not to the ground like the other. Select your main canes, cut back down a bit. Prune off a lot of the spindly canes, dead wood, etc. your new roses will grow from new growth, so you want to prune things back, encourage new healthy growth. Fertilize like the other, a bit all around the perimeter. Scratch it into the soil. Roses pretty much like full sun. Steady supply of moisture, not too wet, not too dry.
Great. thank you Mark. You are a star.?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Roses can be so beautiful- I had a Mister Lincoln hybrid tea for almost ten years a while back. But way to much work!
I love roses. When my blooms are spent I give them to the torts. I don't ever prune the plants, they like me better that way. But they do like to get their feet wet.100_3958.JPG

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Good updates on Mr Phoenix. Seems like a lot of work to get them to just eat? Have you heard of or tried using any of the Repashy foods? ➡➡ https://www.store.repashy.com/

@JoesMum has been a no show for some time, and @Kristoff too. ?

Hot & humid here still. Just uncomfortable to much outside. I trimmed & dead headed rose bushes yesterday, i guess I’ll drop some more slow release fertilizer on them for their next bloom. Luckily, yet another round of heavy thunderstorms yesterday afternoon. All green again. My groves of zinnias & sunflowers are standing tall.

I have been wondering for awhile now too??
Where is the guy who used to ask trivia, then tell people they are minus one point for forming their sentence into a question???
I never thought I’d say this but....
DAM, I miss him to bits!!!!!
I remember one time Yvonne wandered into the room and she thought she was nuts and he gave her something like -1 point for calling herself nuts !!!!! ?
(she gave him a good thrashing though it was soooo funny.)??????????????????
Could someone go find this guy???
His name I think was something to do with English literature??? Or someone’s mom or something.????
Damn....
he would nail me for all these question marks...?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I have been wondering for awhile now too??
Where is the guy who used to ask trivia, then tell people they are minus one point for forming their sentence into a question???
I never thought I’d say this but....
DAM, I miss him to bits!!!!!
I remember one time Yvonne wandered into the room and she thought she was nuts and he gave her something like -1 point for calling herself nuts !!!!! ?
(she gave him a good thrashing though it was soooo funny.)??????????????????
Could someone go find this guy???
His name I think was something to do with English literature??? Or someone’s mom or something.????
Damn....
he would nail me for all these question marks...?
That would most probably be Adam. @Tidgy's Dad

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Rain stopped early, the storms passed. I was able to get out to one of our local reservoirs that is fed by the Patuxent River. Calm, peaceful. Plenty of turtles, a few herons & one mature Bald Eagle. Our small group of three will try again tomorrow. Didnt take my camera, so no pix!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Rain stopped early, the storms passed. I was able to get out to one of our local reservoirs that is fed by the Patuxent River. Calm, peaceful. Plenty of turtles, a few herons & one mature Bald Eagle. Our small group of three will try again tomorrow. Didnt take my camera, so no pix!
At least you got out for a bit.