COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Well.
Actually yes.. I am often climbing on things I shouldn’t be.. there is never time to wait on someone else to get things done.. ?
Since I don't do ladders anymore by myself I make durn sure my critter room door is shut. My little zebra finches fly like hummingbirds. Catching them is so much easier in one little room.?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I've always thought of suet as great birddie food for the winter. I even have recipes to make my own for birds. I don't think I've seen the shredded in our grocery stores.?

You probably just haven’t really looked. If you look in your local butcher‘s shop, they would normally have beef suet for sale. It really is a normal thing to use in baking.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
You probably just haven’t really looked. If you look in your local butcher‘s shop, they would normally have beef suet for sale. It really is a normal thing to use in baking.

I've only seen blocks not packages of shredded. I have recipes for treats for winter birds made from the blocks.?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yep I've never seen that type of product where I live. Interesting. It doesn't mean that a person can't get it in the big cities here.?
Yep I've never seen that type of product where I live. Interesting. It doesn't mean that a person can't get it in the big cities here.?

I buy suet cakes at most feed stores, they also sell suet holders. And I live in a small town, I can get it at several stores. Don't you live in Calif? Look in a feed store.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I buy suet cakes at most feed stores, they also sell suet holders. And I live in a small town, I can get it at several stores. Don't you live in Calif? Look in a feed store.
Yes I buy them every year for the birds. Usually the blocks are filled with seeds, fruit, etc... I've just never seen a block of shredded suet at my grocery store.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
everything ok with the car now?
?
Yikes......after having a streak of some really nice weather days, old man Winter blew in. Lots of wind, rain & much cooler temps. Indoor projects today i guess.
The older I get the more I hate cold weather. I went out at 04:00 to collect the newspaper and my bare feet stuck on the ice that formed overnight. I am a born and raised California girl. I get cold at 65 degrees LOL

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Today in adventures of a wildlife care volunteer... I was based in the rescue’s intensive care unit (ICU) where all the new admissions start their treatment. I bring you a tale of 3 tiny voles probably less than 2 weeks old.

Their nest was dug out by accident in someone’s garden yesterday afternoon and they arrived with us huddled together and very, very cold. One of them looked like it was very unlikely to survive.

They needed warming quickly and standard practice with tiny animals and birds is to pop it in your bra (I’m not sure what the men do ?)

I, ahem, had enough room for a party of 3 so in they went and ten minutes later they started to fidget so they were then to be transferred to a critter box. Except they had other ideas. I ended up kneeling on the floor, to stop them falling, and gradually peeling off my sweatshirt... and then my shirt while two of the staff attempted to catch them. ?

We succeeded! And yes I did find tiny vole poop in my bra when I went for a shower when I got home ?

Here are two of the 3 miscreants
0DE9262D-57A2-41A2-BAF7-210923F78ECB.jpeg
390BA656-2D00-4BCD-BF75-44E9ECE8A8C5.jpeg

We also had a very young baby hedgehog admitted. It’s far too small to hibernate. She was syringe fed a mixture of puppy mousse and puppy milk and is now with one of our human foster mummies for the winter :)
DDC0640D-BB72-493D-9EC5-6B1F9F14936D.jpeg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yikes......after having a streak of some really nice weather days, old man Winter blew in. Lots of wind, rain & much cooler temps. Indoor projects today i guess.
We had snowflakes as big as snowballs... I was going to go shopping but changed my mind. I decided to just sit back andIMG_20201130_102529335_HDR.jpg watch our first snowfall.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Today in adventures of a wildlife care volunteer... I was based in the rescue’s intensive care unit (ICU) where all the new admissions start their treatment. I bring you a tale of 3 tiny voles probably less than 2 weeks old.

Their nest was dug out by accident in someone’s garden yesterday afternoon and they arrived with us huddled together and very, very cold. One of them looked like it was very unlikely to survive.

They needed warming quickly and standard practice with tiny animals and birds is to pop it in your bra (I’m not sure what the men do ?)

I, ahem, had enough room for a party of 3 so in they went and ten minutes later they started to fidget so they were then to be transferred to a critter box. Except they had other ideas. I ended up kneeling on the floor, to stop them falling, and gradually peeling off my sweatshirt... and then my shirt while two of the staff attempted to catch them. ?

We succeeded! And yes I did find tiny vole poop in my bra when I went for a shower when I got home ?

Here are two of the 3 miscreants
View attachment 312022
View attachment 312023

We also had a very young baby hedgehog admitted. It’s far too small to hibernate. She was syringe fed a mixture of puppy mousse and puppy milk and is now with one of our human foster mummies for the winter :)
View attachment 312021
?